Bradley Manning | News

Bradley Manning Wants to Live As a Woman: 'I am Chelsea Manning. I am Female.' - VIDEO

Wikileaks soldier Bradley Manning wants to live the remainder of her life as a woman according to a statement read by attorney David Coombs this morning, NBC's Today reports:

Manning“I am Chelsea Manning. I am female,” the Army private wrote in a statement read on TODAY Thursday by his attorney. “Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition.”

“I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility),” he continued in the statement. “I look forward to receiving letters from supporters and having the opportunity to write back.”

Manning signed the letter “Chelsea E. Manning.”

C_manningWatch the TODAY show clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

TODAY continues:

During his trial, Manning’s defense team suggested his struggles with gender identity as a gay soldier were a factor in his decision to leak. His attorneys presented an email to a former supervisor from April 2010 in which he said he was transgender and joined the Army to “get rid of it.” The email, which had the subject line “My Problem,” also included a photo of Manning in which he is wearing a blonde wig and lipstick. During Manning’s nine-month detainment at the Marine Corps brig in Quantico, Va., following his arrest in 2010, he sent two letters to his counselor using the name “Breanna,’’ Master Sgt. Craig Blenis testified at his trial.

The full statement:

Subject: The Next Stage of My Life

I want to thank everybody who has supported me over the last three years. Throughout this long ordeal, your letters of support and encouragement have helped keep me strong. I am forever indebted to those who wrote to me, made a donation to my defense fund, or came to watch a portion of the trial. I would especially like to thank Courage to Resist and the Bradley Manning Support Network for their tireless efforts in raising awareness for my case and providing for my legal representation.

As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition. I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility). I look forward to receiving letters from supporters and having the opportunity to write back.

Chelsea E. Manning

Watch the TODAY show clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Manning's lawyer plans to ask President Obama to pardon her.

Manning’s lawyer, David Coombs, said Wednesday he would file a request early next week with the Department of the Army with the hope of making its way to the president, asking him either to pardon Manning or commute his sentence to time served.

Comments

1. Good luck with all of that, Chelsea.

Seriously doubt they're going to give you hormone therapy in prison, so basically in about 35 years you can do the transition.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 22, 2013 7:53:30 AM

2. My goodness. I wish her well. I hope Chelsea finds a happier life as a woman.

Posted by: Terry | Aug 22, 2013 7:55:41 AM

3. Well. That's new.

Posted by: Tigerama | Aug 22, 2013 8:04:59 AM

4. "I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by new new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility)."

Wow! Just... wow!!!

Posted by: Hmmm | Aug 22, 2013 8:05:32 AM

5. I feel for her. The prison sentence is unjust. Clearly it's been a struggle and she has some issues to sort out.

Posted by: Marty | Aug 22, 2013 8:27:07 AM

6. I feel for her. The prison sentence is unjust. Clearly it's been a struggle and she has some issues to sort out.

Posted by: Marty | Aug 22, 2013 8:27:08 AM

7. To each their own. But he was cute and doable as a little blond army boy. As Chelsea, she is just going to be Vern Schillinger's Aryan pleasure hole.

The top comment under the CNN article reads: "So now he will have to sit down to make a leak."

Posted by: Quicksilver | Aug 22, 2013 8:29:26 AM

8. Funny what homophobic RT will say about this

Posted by: litper | Aug 22, 2013 8:33:09 AM

9. I didn't see that coming. But I understand this is been a long process for Manning and I can only wish him the best.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 22, 2013 8:34:08 AM

10. So, the whole leaking classified information was really a scheme to get M-to-F transition therapy paid for by the military prison system? This is one messed up person.

Although, it could also be a ploy to avoid serving his prison time in a male prison where he is sure to be at some considerable risk of harm.

I am usually a compassionate man, but am having a hard time finding any for Manning at this point. This is quite possibly the most elaborate attention-getting effort in American history.

Posted by: jpeckjr | Aug 22, 2013 8:48:24 AM

11. Oh lord! She is a big hot mess!!!

Posted by: Fonda Bois | Aug 22, 2013 8:58:50 AM

12. Tranny hero. I love her. I will be sending her letters of support.

Posted by: Andy | Aug 22, 2013 9:03:18 AM

13. Her pay and benefits have been stipped from her, along with being dishonorably discharged. I've read this "OMG, we taxpayers are going to pay for his "transformation" stuff way too many times. I don't how she's going to pay for her gender assignment surgery if she has no military benefits, do you?

Posted by: Terry | Aug 22, 2013 9:04:54 AM

14. That Manning has gender identity issues has been known for quite some time. She should have been separated from military service. Not because transgenders can't be in he service but because Manning had so muh emotional turmoil. As a result she was prey to the likes of Julian Assange.

Daniel Ellsberg is clueless when it comes to Manning.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 22, 2013 9:11:36 AM

15. jpeckjr: I was thinking the same thing. Many LGBT guys/gals have served honorably in the military since the days of Nixon and DADT. None lashed out by releasing thousands of classified govt records.

My takeaway from this entire event is that Manning is/was an unstable individual who sort refuge at the wrong institution. Dan Choi anyone?

Posted by: vikson | Aug 22, 2013 9:12:26 AM

16. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/wikileaks/bradley-manning/

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 22, 2013 9:20:13 AM

17. Manning has serious mental health issues. Probably always has. How did such an unstable individual get the kind of access and job in the army he had? He was already well documented for behaving bizarrely, including curling up into a fetal position and peeing himself on more than one occasion. I'd suggest he was treated with kid gloves by the army due to politically correct policies instituted by the political appointee civilian heads of the military. It's the only conclusion that can be logically reached. If he wasn't gay [and the military knew he was at the time] he would have been discharged ASAP. Now he's a gay 'hero', and is identified by the general population by his sexual orientation as much as the stupid thing he did. Even the fact he had access to such fairly sensitive information is the result of 'reforms' put in place to make it easier for individuals and agencies to get access to sensitive, secret info post-911. What a clusterf*ck.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 22, 2013 9:20:44 AM

18. She should not even be in prison.

She is a national hero for exposing US Army warcrimes and crimes against humanity.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 22, 2013 9:33:31 AM

19. Well, it has long been known she was trans. Unfortunately, she's been dishonorably discharged and most prisons don't allow transition therapy and reassignment surgery. I really wonder where things will go from here.

Hopefully, the media treats this the right way, but honestly, I doubt it.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 22, 2013 9:38:00 AM

20. This guy has been an embarrassment to the uniform from day one.

Posted by: John | Aug 22, 2013 9:42:09 AM

21. I can just take a marker and draw a line through the word "Bradley" on my "Free Bradley Manning" t-shirt and write in Chelsea.

Posted by: ZWEEGAS | Aug 22, 2013 9:59:32 AM

22. Before you comment on any crap about what you think her transition played in her crime, 1st, shut up, 2nd, read the case.

She was tricked and manipulated into a very insecure position, did what she thought was best and is now paying the price. She is easily worth 10 of you trolls.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 22, 2013 10:13:26 AM

23. I hope she's accommodated accordingly and can find some peace now that she's living as her true self, even if it is in prison.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 22, 2013 10:17:41 AM

24. it's sad this has played out in public for everyone to see and discuss. this should have been a private matter between chelsae and professionals until treatment is over, not fodder for tv shows and online commenters.

Posted by: northalabama | Aug 22, 2013 10:18:25 AM

25. The real concern is how this sick, depraved traitor was able to esconce himself into such a sensitive position in the United States military.

Rot in prison, whoever/whatever Manning you are.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Aug 22, 2013 10:20:01 AM