Football | Texas

San Antonio High School Elects Two Queens To Homecoming Court

Hernandez and Mijares

In an historic moment for C.C. Winn High School in San Antonio, TX the student body defied tradition and elected two girls to the Royal Court for homecoming this year. Though Jennifer Mijares and Eileen Hernandez are not a couple, they are allies and members of the school's Gay Straight Alliance, running on the platform of promoting equality among the student body.

They received immense support from the student body, claiming that every one negative response was met with ten positive. They even had the support of the staff, with Principal Jesus Diaz-Wever stating “that it is important for all persons to be respected and treated with dignity and the students at C.C. Winn High School certainly understand that all persons are equal.”

The true test of support arguably came at halftime during the homecoming game on Friday, October 18th. When Jennifer Mijares and Eileen Hernandez were announced as homecoming queens to all in attendance, the 1,500 fans in the stands cheered.

Comments

1. This is awesome. These homecoming stories really highlight that, although there may still be much homophobia/transphobia now, the future is very bright. Thank you Jennifer and Eileen on taking a stand!

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 22, 2013 1:27:12 PM

2. Although this article is from a San Antonio TV station, this actually happened in Eagle Pass, Texas, a small town of about 30,000 on the Mexican border across the Rio Grande from Piedras Negras.

Posted by: Mike in Texas | Oct 22, 2013 1:40:55 PM

3. I was wondering about that "Mike in Texas" because I have been an educator in San Antonio for many years and never heard of Winn. Thanks for clearing that up!

Posted by: bigdaddy | Oct 22, 2013 1:57:54 PM

4. I don't get it. Are they lesbians? Is one supposed to be the "king" instead of a guy and the other one the traditional "queen"?

And who cares anyway? Girls and women have always been allowed leeway socially, emotionally, and sexually that boys and men have not been allowed. If they had elected two boys and cheered when they appeared and kissed, this would be news; as it is, though, it is pretty meaningless.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 22, 2013 2:11:06 PM

5. Of course what I'm more angry about are any stories in which young people are enjoying a life of equality and openness who are celebrated for who they are, when I've only ever been barely-tolerated on the condition that I censor and hide who I truly am.

As a fully grown man who has yet to actually come out of the closet, I'm sure you can understand what a slap in the face it is for me to come onto this site every day and see stories about women, and teens and liberals and effeminate enjoying their lives and being welcomed and celebrated and experiencing a world of love that I have never known.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 22, 2013 2:15:12 PM

6. Sorry you are so bitter. I grew up in the 40's and 50's and also had known nothing hate for being gay and had to hide until I was out on my own and learned to love who I was/am. I am grateful that young people today have a better start in life and hope it just keeps getting better for them.

Posted by: jleo71 | Oct 22, 2013 3:03:22 PM

7. I don't need your sympathy, JLEO. I'm just so sick of women and effeminate gay men making life harder for me. It's the fault of these young girls that I can't come out as a gay man in my fifties.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 22, 2013 3:38:18 PM

8. Rick's troll is very right. Rick, you are bitter and actually cannot stand accepting stories. The world, at the very least with young people, is clearly changing, and you can't handle it. How pathetic you are.

In the past, gay students who won these awards ended up being bigger targets for bullying and would often win as a gag. I hope we've passed those days. Bullying is still a really serious issue and it's always good to see some schools have it right.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Oct 22, 2013 3:45:35 PM

9. Hey Rick,

Come out of the closet already you weakling !

How can you even type comments like yours AND STILL BE DEEP IN THE CLOSET?

I came out when I was 15, 7 years ago.

you're sooo weak...and it shows..

closet guys :

hate other gay people and their allies, especially women

and they get AIDS, cause they do riskier sex (cause they can't have normal relationships)

GET HELP !

Posted by: mA Mc | Oct 22, 2013 5:06:38 PM

10. Also Rick,

stop blaming everyone else for ruining your life. You're the only one making it hard for yourself...look at you! OLD and in the closet..so gross! I can't even imagine....

I'd tell you to kill yourself, but you already did that :/

Posted by: mA Mc | Oct 22, 2013 5:09:34 PM

11. Seriously, Rick. Get help. This isn't ok.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 22, 2013 5:10:41 PM

12. Rick, I'm not seeing the problem here. (Also, it seems like there are two Ricks, unless you have a multiple personality disorder). These are just two women who were elected homecoming queens. They are indicated as neither gay or trans or blue or green, only supporters of gay alliance. This is more of a feminist victory than anything else, that there is no "king".

What interests me more is your story of not being out in your fifties — do mean not to your family (I'm not) or not to anyone? What kind of situation are you in that you feel that can't be out? Is it a political issue, like the fact that people seem stuck on the symbolic aspect of gayness (screaming queens and all that) that some, including myself, might find offensive? Personally, I would like to be seen as just a person, instead of another percentage point in a sexual minority piechart…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 22, 2013 5:12:37 PM

13. LOL. Rick, you bring this on yourself. You post such negative comments, and then along comes the "other Rick" to explain how you got to be so f.cking crazy.

LOL, oh, my.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 22, 2013 5:21:09 PM

14. MA MA — don't be an A-hole. You are all of (let's see 15 + 7 =) 22. You have no idea what it was like to be gay in the 1970s. If you didn't live in a major city on either the East or West Coast you didn't have a chance. Don't EVER forget that those who battled for rights and respect for gays before you were even born made it a whole lot easier for your coming out. You have no right to comment on anyone's personal journey when you have no idea of their situation. And oh, I can't wait until you're OLD, as you put it, if you even have the privilege of getting there, because if you're lucky, you will get there. Hopefully with a little more mental maturity than you have so far displayed.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 22, 2013 5:27:32 PM

15. @ "MA MA — don't be an A-hole."

Wait a minute, Tinkerbelle. MA MC may be new to this blog. He doesn't know that he is responding to two different "Rick"s. The first "real" Rick is bad enough. The second and third Ricks are horrifying and pitiful.

Why do I feel like I'm defending Rick? That is the last thing I ever want to do. I'd rather defend Jeffrey Dahmer.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 22, 2013 5:42:55 PM

16. Hey Tinkerbelle,

So aside from your parents, if still alive, how many other people are you closeted with?

Tuff Life HUh

Posted by: mA Mc | Oct 22, 2013 5:52:36 PM

17. @MA MC, TINKERBELLE and EVERYBODY ELSE

Only the first post in the thread bearing the name "Rick" is from me, the real Rick. The others were posted by Little Kiwi, using my name and acting as an impostor, which he can do because there is no registration of user names on this site.

And I stand by my comment. All this episode seems to demonstrate is the double-standard in this culture, whereby girls and women have the freedom to engage each other however they please, socially, emotionally and sexually......while men and boys do not.

So why any gay man--other than the Little Kiwis of the world who hate all men and worship women--would find this something to celebrate is beyond me.

Your comment, Tinkerbell, about this being a "feminist victory" (i.e. that men are absent and the "king" has been replaced by a woman) suggests that you share that hatred of men, which is one of the defining features of the culture of effeminacy that the likes of Little Kiwi espouse.

Ergo his outbursts as an impersonator.

Nothing threatens him and man-hating effeminate gay men more than the idea that masculinity and homosexuality will be seen as compatible and complementary rather than mutually exclusive, which will leave them high and dry and totally socially isolated as outcasts.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 23, 2013 12:59:03 AM