ENDA | News

Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) Explains ENDA 'Yes' Vote

Pat Toomey (R-PA), one of seven Senate Republicans to vote 'yes' on yesterday's ENDA cloture vote, explained his vote on Facebook last night:

ToomeyI have long believed that more legal protections are appropriate to prevent employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. That is why I supported a provision in the Allentown charter barring the city government from discriminating against persons on the basis of their sexual orientation some 17 years ago, in 1996. More recently, it’s also why I supported allowing gay, lesbian, and bisexual persons to serve openly in the military.

So I believe the Employment Non-Discrimination Act contains very important provisions. However, I also believe it should be improved, especially as it pertains to religious organizations. We must strive to reach the appropriate balance between protecting workers and protecting religious freedom. I voted to move forward with debate on ENDA with the hope that the Senate will take up amendments – including one that I plan to offer – to address this important aspect of the proposed law.

Comments

1. Shocked that he voted YES but troubled about the "religious freedom" exceptions he wants..

Posted by: Dave in PA | Nov 5, 2013 11:51:27 AM

2. Religious freedom=the right to hate and discriminate?

Posted by: Jim Stone | Nov 5, 2013 12:30:24 PM

3. We had a wonderful candidate running in 2010. His name was Joe Sestak, a war hero. The President betrayed Joe Sestak and we ended up with this weasel for senator.

Lazy-ass Democrats wouldn't come out to vote. Yes, I'm still bitter about 2010.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 5, 2013 12:35:23 PM

4. The 'devil is in the details' around these so-called religious exemptions. It is mostly to provide political cover for legislators, but its effects can be harmful to many people. If you don't want a gay Reverend for your church, that is on your soul. This law won't change that. But outside of the house of worship there should be no exemptions.

Posted by: Dave C. | Nov 5, 2013 12:48:11 PM

5. Almost, but not quite.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 5, 2013 1:19:06 PM

6. Still better than a No vote. From a Republican I will take it.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 5, 2013 1:57:53 PM

7. I just saw a graduate student in the hallway wearing a "I Voted Today" button. I knew there was voting in New Jersey, but I forgot all about Pennsylvania. And I just complained about "lazy-ass Democrats"

I don't have a f.cking clue who to vote for. There are a bunch of municipal and commonwealth judges on the ballot--but I don't know who the hell they are. I didn't think I'd have to vote again until 2014. Oh, shoot.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 5, 2013 4:47:48 PM