Art and Design | Los Angeles | News | Video

Artist Chris Burden Created Metropolis II, An Amazing, Functioning Cityscape: VIDEO

Metropolis1

It may have been created several years ago, but Chris Burden's Metropolis II, a large-scale city model complete with bustling traffic, trams, and trains still impresses. It is a sight to behold, and even more fun to watch.

Check out a great video and interview with the artist, AFTER THE JUMP...

Metropolis2

Comments

1. This random quirkiness is why I love you, TR :-)

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Mar 4, 2014 8:39:37 PM

2. Wow, what an effort! Thanks TR for your diverse content. It's nice to take a break once in awhile and just see someone doing something they love to do.

Posted by: bannock-hou | Mar 4, 2014 9:09:08 PM

3. I expect to see Will Ferrell. (Some of you will get this reference. Hint. Lego Movie.)

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 4, 2014 10:41:24 PM

4. And I bet it was all glued together with the Kragle.

Posted by: handset | Mar 4, 2014 11:33:51 PM

5. i saw that at LACMA about 2 or 3 years ago. i could not take my eyes off it. there was a walkway above it so you could see it from above or below.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 5, 2014 1:12:30 AM

6. All those overhead roads and close packed buildings will make the city unlivable at ground level. It'll be night all the time. Even in this well-lit photo, you can see how dark it is at the lower levels. This is why building codes require setbacks on large buildings.

Posted by: John Conolley | Mar 5, 2014 10:02:02 AM

7. I'm now planning to swing by LACMA on my next Southern California trip. :) I don't know if my boyfriend will let me, but I would probably be able to stand at stare at this for at least an hour.

Posted by: ColinATL | Mar 5, 2014 10:29:11 AM

8. I don't get it. It's a pull-up hill on a Hot Wheels-type track. There is very little "metropolis", just a few scattered building models plunked down. It's mostly just car tracks fed by gravity.

Posted by: Tatts | Mar 5, 2014 11:19:44 PM