Brandt Snedeker | Bubba Watson | Golf | News | Sports

Bubba Watson Wins 2014 Masters, Thinks Being Gay is a Sin

Watson

PGA Golfer Bubba Watson celebrated with a family dinner at Waffle House after winning the 2014 Masters tournament for the second time in three years over the weekend.

Outsports reminds us that he would have dinner with gay 'sinners' too, in a recollection of comments he made about Jason Collins last year:

"I've met Jason, said, ‘Hey,' to him, because he used to play for the Suns when I had the Suns tickets. I respect anybody that's gay ... I'm not saying I'm better than others. I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying I love him. If he called me right now and said, ‘Hey,' or any person that was gay called me, I'd go to dinner with them any time. It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. That's a sin. So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."

There are no openly gay golfers in the PGA. Thankfully there are some players, like Brandt Snedeker, with more evolved perspectives.

Comments

1. So Bubba at the Waffle House doesn't like gays cause it's in the Bible? Tough s**t!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 14, 2014 9:11:44 AM

2. Why would anyone have any respect for someone who celebrates at a waffle house?

That fact alone makes him a pathetic excuse for a human. I would be more alarmed if he supported gay folk.

Posted by: tim S | Apr 14, 2014 9:14:52 AM

3. Who?

Posted by: james | Apr 14, 2014 9:16:42 AM

4. I worked on The Tour on and off over a two year period. Some of these guys are real pr*cks and have their heads up their *sses.
    I won't name names but this article clearly exposes one of them.
    In some ways I suppose that golf is worse than many other sports because these guys exist in walled-in, exclusive private membership communities, both in where they live and where they golf.

Posted by: miguel | Apr 14, 2014 9:20:25 AM

5. Is that what love looks like? Gee thanks.

This one here says some dumb things.

Posted by: Terry | Apr 14, 2014 9:22:23 AM

6. Who cares? Why do you guys even post this crap? This man's opinion matters to no one other than the other denizens of the waffle house.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 14, 2014 9:22:33 AM

7. @JAMES,

This is one time on Towleroad where you can say "Who?" and no one in the comments will get mad at you. I'm going to back you up and also say...

Who???

Posted by: Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman in 2016 | Apr 14, 2014 9:22:42 AM

8. Well, it looks like it's up to Tank to spread some common sense around the Towleroad comment section. Once again, the usual cast of pathetic, middle-aged queens are out in full force on an angry and self-righteous jihad! This Bubba guy does not seem like a hater to Tank. Do I disagree with him? Yes. But would I silence him? No. Besides, have any of you fanatical ideologues of PC checked out his caboose in those nice, snug golf shorts? This guy is not no matter how retrograde his political views are! And a lot of the haters here would be happy to give this guy a go despite his worldview. I sure would! Just keeping it real, guys! And now I'll look forward to the calm, insightful, and carefully reasoned responses that my posts usually draw.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2014 9:25:57 AM

9. Oops! Tank meant to say, "This guy is hot!" in the above post. Sorry for the typo!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2014 9:27:37 AM

10. "I'm not saying he's wrong... So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."

Delusional christonazis...

Posted by: litper | Apr 14, 2014 9:28:44 AM

11. Oh no, Tank has a chubba for Bubba

Posted by: miguel | Apr 14, 2014 9:32:46 AM

12. Wow! This guy is wrong on so many levels.
    He just won the Masters and the best place he chooses to celebrate and have dinner is at the Waffle House?

He uses the compilation of made-up-crap as his excuse to show homophobia and probably violates a hundred of those rules and laws himself.

He thinks meaningful conversations consist of "hey".

And, since I've never seen him before, if that's him in the front of the selfie, he isn't his god's gift to men or women.

Posted by: Jere | Apr 14, 2014 9:35:57 AM

13. Celebrating a huge win at a Waffle House is the real sin here. I'd have dinner with him, but I think his life choices are poorly executed and I can't condone them.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Apr 14, 2014 9:36:39 AM

14. hey Bubba - 1st off your name is stupid.....2nd - shove your buybull up your ass...along with your golf club sideways!

Posted by: disgusted merican | Apr 14, 2014 9:38:26 AM

15. Which one in the pic is he? No matter. Guy screaming "gay is sin" and wearing mixed blend fabrics = instant hypocrite.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Apr 14, 2014 9:51:01 AM

16. I'd love to ask Bubba what Jeebus had to say about teh gay. I'm sure he would say that it is wrong, as he gobbled up a shrimp cocktail (obviously not at the Waffle House) while wearing his polyester slacks and cotton polo.

And Bubba, get that mole on your face checked out. Golfers tend to have higher rates of skin cancer after all. Unless you don't believe in doctors, of course.

Posted by: bkmn | Apr 14, 2014 9:53:30 AM

17. The masters tour jus committed intellectual suicide...

Posted by: codyj | Apr 14, 2014 9:54:13 AM

18. Is anyone really surprised that someone named (or called) "Bubba" has some backward ideas?

Yes, I know this is painting with a broad brush but in my experience there seems to be something about golf that draws @ssholes. Like Miguel said above, I think it's mainly the Country Club/gated community (AKA Republican) mindset.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 14, 2014 10:04:16 AM

19. I don't care what his opinions are just like I don't care what Chris Kluwe's opinions are. Just play your sport or get into politics and then I might care what you think.

As for the guys making fun of him for going to the Waffle house, your bigotry towards him and they way he decides to live is just as bad as bigotry.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 14, 2014 10:18:28 AM

20. Wait, this is the guy who uses a pink driver and was desperate to be on "Ellen"? So he believes Ellen is living in sin, and "wrong", but he "respects" her enough to beg to be on her show?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 14, 2014 10:20:36 AM

21. A golfer? Next.

Posted by: simon | Apr 14, 2014 10:26:29 AM

22. Why do you think he is called 'Bubba'?

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 14, 2014 10:36:08 AM

23. I'm wondering how Jesus would have felt about NOT keeping the sabbath holy...and playing a round of golf on a day that was meant to be spent praising the lord!

Posted by: Taylor | Apr 14, 2014 11:04:56 AM

24. He should return his winnings in shame.

Posted by: anon | Apr 14, 2014 11:07:26 AM

25. I am a big golf fan. Bubba Watson is not well liked on tour. He is whiny, and berates his caddie often blaming said caddie for a bad shot he made. He goes through life with a attitude that everyone is against him all the while as a person of almost indescribable privilege. I would not like this guy even if he were pro gay.

Posted by: mikeydallas | Apr 14, 2014 11:15:52 AM