Books | Dan Savage | Jo Becker | Video

Dan Savage Joins Condemnation Of Jo Becker's Gay Marriage Book, Protest Planned: VIDEO

Savage_becker

Joining the widespread condemnation of Jo Becker’s book Forcing The Spring: Inside the Fight for Marriage Equality, writer and activist Dan Savage called the book “a divisive lie,” a theft, a "bullshit-washing of history" and appalling.

Speaking with HuffPo Live, Savage said:

“The book has been universally condemned by people all across the ideological spectrum in the gay community. You know, when you’ve got Andrew Sullivan, Nathaniel Frank, Chris Geidner, Michelangelo Signorile, John Aravosis, me, all these people in unanimous agreement that this book is a travesty… Andrew said recently on his blog that he’s seen episodes of (anti-gay preacher) Pat Robinson’s The 700 Club that were received better in the gay community than this book.

"Jo Becker claims that this book is a history. It says in the book — she’s backpeddling now — that this is a history of the marriage equality movement. And she describes marriage equality as an issue that had languished in obscurity until 2008 when Chad Griffin, Ted Olson and David Boies decided to do something about it in the wake of the Prop 8 case, and that’s just complete and total bullshit. And they’re being called on it."

Savage goes on to slam Becker for disparaging Freedom to Marry founder and long-time marriage equality activist Evan Wolfson’s 50 state, one-state-at-a-time strategy which has proved very successful. Savage points out that people involved in the Prop 8 case had nothing to do with the Edie Windsor DOMA case which has been much more instrumental in winning marriage equality state-by-state across the nation.

A protest is planned for Jo Becker’s May 2 book signing event at the Book Passage in San Francisco.

See Savage's interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I read the excerpt in the NY Times and I didn't much care about the complaints but now that I've done more research I think her publisher should pull the book, he NYTimes should issue an apology and retraction and it should basically be wiped from existence. Everbody know the equal rights campaign is an epic fail and has been for years, their main issue for 20 years being ENDA, which still hasn't passed. In fact, THEY put marriage on the backburner, not anybody else. The book is just PR and it's a piece of unadulterated feces.

David Mixner should be ashamed of himself and he shouldn't post her anymore.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 25, 2014 3:52:13 PM

2. Sorry for all the typos but this really pisses me off.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 25, 2014 3:52:59 PM

3. The book would not be so disparaged if accurate gay history, before Stonewall, was respected or acknowledged. How would she know? Mixner is correct, the clique involved with not be remembered. And you can throw that straight anti-bully cock tease on the heap too. Enjoy your marriages!

Posted by: GB | Apr 25, 2014 4:02:46 PM

4. The book would not be so disparaged if accurate gay history, before Stonewall, was respected or acknowledged. How would she know? Mixner is correct, the clique involved with not be remembered. And you can throw that straight anti-bully cock tease on the heap too. Enjoy your marriages!

Posted by: GB | Apr 25, 2014 4:02:50 PM

5. History is always written based on the viewpoint of the historians. Ancient history was written without that many critics. In the absence of social media and internet, every historian wrote their own history. The "complete" history is always the cobbling together of many pieces.

Posted by: rick | Apr 25, 2014 4:16:48 PM

6. Savage should confine his s-it to the bedroom. Even if this book is an effort to discredit the origins of the movement, I'm sure the true story is teaming with s-it, to quote Dan.

Posted by: Tina | Apr 25, 2014 4:33:31 PM

7. Savage should confine his s-it to the bedroom. Even if this book is an effort to discredit the origins of the movement, I'm sure the true story is teaming with s-it, to quote Dan.

Posted by: Tina | Apr 25, 2014 4:34:05 PM

8. Savage should confine his s-it to the bedroom. Even if this book is an effort to discredit the origins of the movement, I'm sure the true story is teaming with s-it, to quote Dan.

Posted by: Tina | Apr 25, 2014 4:36:56 PM

9. I have not read the article but marriage was legalized in Massachusetts in 2004 first state to do so I my add and it was a big equal rites deal I was married in 2007 as a result I am tired of California's prop 8 over shadowing that fact is as always Massachusetts got the thing started just like in 1776

Posted by: jimbo | Apr 25, 2014 4:58:39 PM

10. I live in California, but was raised in Massachusetts Rode on the gay Mayflower. Thank you for reminding them Jimbo!

Posted by: GB | Apr 25, 2014 5:09:46 PM

11. Dan Savage is being a sensitive Sally. It's only a book and one woman's opinion. There are bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: petey | Apr 25, 2014 5:16:40 PM

12. Jimbo:
    Is that a bit narrow to confine it to the US?
    Netherlands was the first. Even some part of Canada was before Massachusetts.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 5:21:27 PM

13. I also find it strange why it is such a big deal. Is it some kind of turf war? No one is going to write a history to satisfy every critic. If is still OK if that is just an opinion. A protest is a bit too dramatic.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 5:26:34 PM

14. Ms Becker has certainly been doing the media tour: NPR {twice}, New York Times, New Yorker, NBC News, MSNBC, etc etc -
    yet the book is hovering around 1,000 to 1,500 on Amazon. Most books with that sort of publicity would be well below 100 on Amazon and B&N. In another few weeks this book will be last years news - it's already dead in the water.
    Someone really screwed up!

Posted by: PaulinPA | Apr 25, 2014 5:27:39 PM

15. Paulinpa:
    May be it is the subject. Not many people are interested in gay stuff. I won't buy a book talking about subjects I am not interested in. Even popular textbooks are well below 10000. I guess 1500 is OK financially speaking.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 5:41:57 PM

16. Historically DOMA is probably more important than prop 8. She chose to write on prop 8 only. As she herself stated. It is not history. She just want to cash in on the story. It is more famous and got more media attention because of the lawyers involved.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 5:58:39 PM

17. To all those planning to attend that protest: what a f*cking waste of time. Choose your battles. If you really want to discredit this book, then ignore it, let it die. You're only fueling sales of the book and publicity for the author

Posted by: kurt | Apr 25, 2014 6:10:19 PM

18. A book signing protest by elite gay men, oh boy! Can you imagine the clashing of egos and self-burnished halos at that gathering?

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Apr 25, 2014 6:10:39 PM

19. I don't know much about the book--and don't know why any gay man would be surprised that a woman, straight or gay, would give them the shaft (no pun intended)......

.....but I will say this: It is undeniably true that the gay movement languished for decades with virtually no real victories to speak of, whether it came to DADT or job discrimination or same-sex marriage.....UNTIL STRAIGHT MEN in healthy numbers began to advocate for change.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not discounting the efforts of the gay people, including myself, who labored for years to change things......but I am saying that it was always the case that until the male culture began to change in such a way that men, in general, would see something in the gay movement that would accrue to their own self-interest......that no progress was ever going to be made.

Many gay men who are ensconced in the culture of effeminacy do not want to acknowledge this, because they wrongly have seen feminists and women in general as our friends--which they are not (which is why nothing changed for decades despite their supposed "support")....and men as our enemies, when the opposite is actually the case, as we are finally beginning to see.....

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2014 6:39:56 PM

20. I hate my mommy. And it shows.

Posted by: RICK | Apr 25, 2014 6:47:21 PM

21. @Rick

Most gay men see women as our supporters not because we are "ensconced in the culture of effeminacy" but because we can read. The last thousand polls on this subject have shown a much stronger support for gay rights among women than men. Every single time, no exception. I've brought this up to you dozens of times as you cut and paste your usual crazy talk and you never acknowledge this. I understand why, because it undermines your whole theory that you've been espousing since the dawn of time. So you keep saluting all those straight men who led the movement for gay marriage while the reality based community knows otherwise.

Posted by: Brian1 | Apr 25, 2014 7:05:31 PM

22. Awesome points, Rick. Now get back to making my french fries.

Posted by: Jon Dough | Apr 25, 2014 7:15:48 PM

23. Rick:
    What are you talking about? 3 out of the 5 votes for DOMA were provided by women in the Supreme Court. 2 out of 5 were provided by women for Prop 8. Note that they form only a minority in the court.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 7:16:36 PM

24. I of course meant for the striking down of DOMA and prop 8.

Posted by: simon | Apr 25, 2014 7:18:47 PM

25. @BRIAN1 Anybody can tell a pollster anything. Women "support" gay men in a condescending way......they are NOT willing to accept gay men as MEN, but only as playthings and fops and social inferiors, who keep them entertained and provide useful services to them. That is what the "support" is based on.....

But that is not the kind of "support" that will ever get us full integration into society, respected as the MEN we are, rather than tolerated and condescended to as pseudo-women (with inferior status to real women).

The only thing that WILL get us full integration into society is for us to be respected AS MEN.....and as that is beginning to happen, you are seeing a backlash among women, who have become the most strident voices among homophobes, here in the US and abroad.....and I see no reason to think that trend will not continue.

I cannot help it if you cannot see deeper than the surface and I hope this comment helps you--and others--to do so....

Posted by: Rick | Apr 25, 2014 7:19:31 PM