Gay Marriage | News | Phyllis Schlafly

Radio Talk Show Host Says Same-Sex Marriage Is as Make-Believe as Humans Being Able to Fly

Conservative talk radio show host Steve Deace dropped by Phyllis Schlafly's show, and same-sex marriage was among the topics the two discussed. Right Wing Watch reports that, during his appearance, Deace argued that gay marriage is as implausible as humans taking flight.

Deace-mugshotEarly in the program, Deace explained what he believed to be the dangers of marriage equality:

To finally be the first civilization in human history to say you have a legal right to have homosexual sex and relationships with your neighbor is costing other people their freedom of their God-given right to moral conscience, their God-given right free speech, their God-given right to religious liberty. And you can ask bakers, and you can ask florists, you can ask Hobby Lobby and all these stories of religious liberty that we're seeing around the country...you have no right to do that which God says is wrong.

Deace then responded to a caller who claimed to have a "semi-liberal" friend who believes it's "not government’s job to legislate morality."

Question him further to find exactly out what that means. And I’m telling you, what I’m 99 percent positive that it will mean is that he’s bought into some postmodern thinking that says, ‘Well, yeah, I think this stuff is wrong and icky for me but I can’t impose my value system on somebody else.’

But of course, that’s a very slippery slope as well. I mean, someone might think, I have the right to fly and I’d love to fly and I have a desire to fly and I even found a judge that gave me a piece of paper that told me I have the right to fly. But when I fling myself off the top of a skyscraper, I run smack-dab into the law of gravity. It didn’t change because some judge said so. It still exists. So, chances are that’s a false objection from your friend because he’s bought into some postmodern thinking about over-judgementalism.

Listen to a clip of the above, AFTER THE JUMP. The entire show, if you can bear it, is here.

Comments

1. Oh, Mary. Stop.

Posted by: Billy Douglas | Apr 22, 2014 1:42:29 PM

2. I don't know about you, Deace, but I stopped having invisible friends when I was oh...four or five years old.

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Apr 22, 2014 1:43:48 PM

3. Please, do us all a favor and try to fly.

Posted by: Jesus | Apr 22, 2014 1:44:49 PM

4. That is the face of nightmares. Does the bible have anything to say on penetrating amputated animals? Because I can totally see this guy being into that. Someone search his basement for a hidden room ASAP.

Posted by: JonB | Apr 22, 2014 2:02:22 PM

5. Meanwhile, check out http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2014/0422/Big-Bang-theory-skeptics-outnumber-believers-in-US-according-to-poll as another example of the astounding level of ignorance on the part of the American public.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 22, 2014 2:47:11 PM

6. Re:"their God-given right to religious liberty"

The false god of the Bible most certainly DOES NOT believe in "religious liberty".

Exodus 20 The Ten Commandments
    #1 “You shall have no other gods before me."

Posted by: 1♥ | Apr 22, 2014 2:52:25 PM

7. That flaming queen? Even Helen keller would know he was gay. Look what stupid religion does to self-loathing idiots.

Posted by: jonnathewoodswoman | Apr 22, 2014 2:56:00 PM

8. Another pissed off unattractive closet case.

Add him to the list of self loathers.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 22, 2014 2:59:47 PM

9. As a three-dollar bill.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 22, 2014 3:02:01 PM

10. I hate to make superficial judgments, but based on that photograph, the chances of this guy being straight range from 0% to .1%.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 22, 2014 3:03:04 PM

11. Wow that some serious gay face!

Posted by: Vincent Hurley | Apr 22, 2014 3:04:44 PM

12. THAT PIC!..... He makes Paul Lynde look straight!

Posted by: HereinDC | Apr 22, 2014 3:06:13 PM

13. 'post-modern thinking about over judgementalism'.

Seriously ?
    Someone has been to Philosophy/Social Studies 101.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 22, 2014 3:08:33 PM

14. Why is it ALWAYS the men who are two beers away from a cock in their mouth ALWAYS the men to make these kinds of statements?

Posted by: Bill | Apr 22, 2014 3:14:22 PM

15. Eddie Munster looks good for his age.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 22, 2014 3:15:36 PM

16. "...you have no right to do that which God says is wrong." Like.....divorce, adultery, etc.

Posted by: John | Apr 22, 2014 3:16:58 PM

17. ...that is one scary-looking closet case. My first thought when I saw the pic was "Huh...it looks like the Joker has gained some weight. Someone should call Batman quick."

Posted by: Jennifer L | Apr 22, 2014 3:17:19 PM

18. What I find pretty pathetic is how all but about 3 of you can find nothing to say other than your own version of chanting "One of us - one of us!" Who are the self-loathing ones, really? Because I think people who have nothing to say other than some version of "gayface!", who can't attack the anti-gay discourse itself and can only resort to a schoolyard "Oh ya well you're gay!" seems pretty self-loathing to me.

Nothing to say to deconstruct his stupid words?

"To finally be the first civilization in human history..." Clearly this man doesn't know history, or other currently existing civilizations.

This following quote demonstrates how the religious think they are the masters of gays. They think they're the only ones with freedoms and liberties. This also shows how the religious think their Naziesque crusade constitutes 'morality', "...is costing other people their freedom ... moral conscience ... free speech ... religious liberty."

"you have no right to do that which God says is wrong." - Like lying? Like you're doing, Deace? Oh, and I think his tie isn't made out of the same material as his suit; god says he should be stoned!

Posted by: PieceOfPie | Apr 22, 2014 3:21:21 PM

19. This guy looks like Brian Brown's younger brother, but he's even more incoherent.

Posted by: abel | Apr 22, 2014 3:26:09 PM

20. And the award for faggiest homophobe goes tooooo...

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 22, 2014 3:26:23 PM

21. If you think gay-marriage is make believe, then you're either really, really, really stupid or have been asleep in a distant gutter for the last five years. It's very real, it's happening every day, and it's not leaving.

The only thing make-believe is that God gives you rights.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 22, 2014 3:28:02 PM

22. I think he positively puts his ignorance on display when he makes revolting cockamamie statements and should be pitied for his closed mind and hate-filled soul. May he find some forgiveness....not from us, but somewhere else.

Posted by: Joey in Louisiana | Apr 22, 2014 3:29:23 PM

23. PIECEOFPIE _ Are you through with your soapbox pontificating? The guy IS gay. The worst of the homophobes sometimes are and this one definitely is. Get over yourself.

Posted by: jonnathewoodswoman | Apr 22, 2014 3:30:04 PM

24. .... I have NFI what is up with this troll?? I believe the tallest building as of today is in the Middle East or possibly China but I recommend he try his flying wish from one of those edifices....still, please don't berate me for making negative comments about this nutcase's face....but REALLY now....just REALLY.

Posted by: thom | Apr 22, 2014 3:33:33 PM

25. That photo is so gay, I can feel my butt getting sore just looking at it.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Apr 22, 2014 3:40:09 PM