Discrimination | Education | News | Texas | Transgender

Texas School Agrees to Rehire Transgender Teacher As Long As She Stays Away From Kids

Laura jane klug

A Lumberton, Texas substitute teacher who was told this month not to return to her classes after parents complained about the fact that she’s transgender has been reassigned to another position outside the classroom.

Lone Star Q reports:

Following a contentious school board meeting on April 10, Klug said Superintendent John Valastro told her she’d been reinstated as  a substitute teacher in the Southeast Texas district. However, last week Klug complained that she hadn’t received any teaching assignments — and Valastro told a local TV station he hadn’t made a decision about her future.

Klug said she met with Valastro on Monday and agreed to accept a temporary, full-time position outside the classroom through the end of the school year.

“I was asked not to say where I was working because we don’t want the media and we don’t want angry parents down there, because it’s near one of the schools,” Klug said. “I said I’m willing to do whatever because I really need a paycheck. It doesn’t make me very happy, but I think it should placate them [the parents] somewhat.”

Ken Upton, a senior staff attorney at Lambda Legal, told Lone Star Q that not allowing Klug back into the classroom could constitute a prohibited adverse employment action. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act bans discrimination based on sex, which includes transgender people.

Comments

1. It seems transgender right lags behind gay right for at least twenty years. Does it sound like the denial of gay teachers twenty years ago?

Posted by: ppp | Apr 25, 2014 1:43:49 PM

2. She's a teacher but she has to stay away from kids? Really?

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 25, 2014 1:54:15 PM

3. what nonsense. this is a non-issue for the children, no doubt, and only an issue in the minds of some determined-to-remain-ignorant parents.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 25, 2014 1:56:30 PM

4. Im fairly sure Lone Star Q doesn't stand for Quizmos. Why aren't the activists and language police having a meltdown and David Villerial posting a couple of articles a day on the how offensive that is

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 25, 2014 1:57:37 PM

5. This seems like a good compromise. PPP, there is no comparison b/t trans and gay. They are 2 different concepts.

Posted by: Bev | Apr 25, 2014 2:13:53 PM

6. You're pretty much wrong all the way around, Bev. No surprise there, however. This is a horrible "compromise." It insinuates that transgendered individuals are somehow dangerous to children, yet, not one iota of statistics reveals that to be the case. It's ignorant and discriminatory, plain and simple.

Posted by: LiamB | Apr 25, 2014 2:19:39 PM

7. Teachers are not like employees at McDonalds who can get hired off the street. This teacher has been certified and has an education background. WTH?! What is she going to do? Let her teach.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 25, 2014 2:30:26 PM

8. I hope Lambda Legal fries them to a crisp in court. I'd wager there are only a few vocal parents, but the main discrimination is coming from the school board.

Posted by: Vincent Hurley | Apr 25, 2014 2:40:14 PM

9. It's Texas.

I mean, what the hell did she expect to happen?!

Posted by: JamesTroia | Apr 25, 2014 3:35:12 PM

10. This story is tragic in so many ways; the discrimination, the compromise on the teachers part when she is in the right. I understand the teachers need to work, its hard out there, but so sad she has to comprise herself because of these uneducated and bigoted people.

Posted by: prisle2010 | Apr 25, 2014 5:51:54 PM

11. I guess I don't really understand why she has to "stay" away from the kids.....are they going to "catch" it?!??! Maybe, all the students in the school district should be vaccinated!!

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 25, 2014 6:37:02 PM

12. Vincent Hurley - Yes, please let Lambda sue. They are very experienced at spending LGB money on cases that have nothing to do with LGB people.

Since Lumberton has no anti-discrimination law covering transgenders, this "transwoman" will have to use Title VII under federal law. The EEOC issued a bogus opinion that Title VII covers transgenders, but no court is bound by that opinion. This case would be a great opportunity to blow that opinion out of the water.

Posted by: Henry | Apr 25, 2014 11:05:54 PM

13. "The EEOC issued a bogus opinion that Title VII covers transgenders, but no court is bound by that opinion. "

Henry, the EEOC only put forth that ruling *after* enough federal court decisions had occurred to mandate doing so.

While we're at it, there are plenty of LGB trans people as well as a higher than typical number of trans LGB people. And strictly speaking, having a sexuality opposite social expectations based on one's assigned sex makes LGB people a very specific subset of transgender, if you think about it...

Also? Calling people, "transgenders" is offensive, please stop. Correct usage is transgender people, trans people, trans man, trans women...it's an adjective.

Posted by: crash2parties | Apr 25, 2014 11:33:42 PM

14. As I read the article, I wondered what the majority of the students have to say about the teacher? It is more likely that more don't worry about the teacher's trans status, and more about how much/well they are "learning." More likely still, it's the parents who got their proverbial balls in an uproar.

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | Apr 26, 2014 11:44:51 AM

15. We don't have time for this! We have to scream about Cliven Bundy saying that government dependence is like slavery!!! OMG!!

Posted by: enchantra | Apr 26, 2014 4:57:20 PM

16. Well,more stupid idiotic phobic parents in Texas.. Maybe their kids will be transgender/ gay...That'll mess with their heads..

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 26, 2014 11:49:39 PM

17. As a gay man, I can't say that I'm 100% comfortable with transgender people. However, I understand that it's not about my "comfort," and I especially understand that many are equally uncomfortable with my sexuality.

I fully support the right of transgender people, period!

Posted by: Gay Guy | Apr 27, 2014 6:17:16 PM