San Francisco | Video Games

This Year's GaymerX Convention Is The Last One as Costs Skyrocket in San Francisco

GaymerX2 banner

Last year San Francisco played host to GaymerX, an LGBT-targeted video game convention where queer gamers of all stripes could geek out in a safe space over their favorite hobby without having to put up with the homophobia that runs rampant in video game culture. The con was such a success that it will be coming back this year as GaymerX2.

Darren_youngUnfortunately, it will be the last as the cost of running the convention in San Francisco is just too high. Said the event's founder Matt Conn in an interview with Polygon,

We decided that we could no longer continue as a convention as the price of running a yearly convention downtown in San Francisco was just too high — we weren’t able to get the corporate sponsorship that we needed to make it something sustainable, and we were racking up huge amounts of debt to put this years con on.

The con intends to go out with a bang. It has moved to the San Francisco Intercontinental Hotel - a much larger venue than last year's Hotel Kabuki - and will be hosting guests such as activist Mattie Brice, game designer David Gaider, and out WWE performer Fred Rosser, aka Darren Young (pictured).

Comments

1. This sounds like Toronto Pride all over again....somebody needs to open their expense books...

Posted by: styler | Apr 15, 2014 10:10:48 AM

2. Why not have the convention in a more economical yet easy to get to city? I am sure Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix and other cities would love the chance to host a gay gamer convention, at a lower cost.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 15, 2014 10:14:47 AM

3. I love their video game name - Gaymer. Very witty! Good Luck guys, and all the best!

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 15, 2014 10:17:35 AM

4. Chicago? Tons of other places this could be held.

Posted by: PDX_Guy | Apr 15, 2014 10:19:17 AM

5. Yeah.. I don't get this. It doesn't need to be in SF every year. Why do they feel it *must* be there? Heck, Houston has the largest Gaymer organization in this country.

Posted by: Evan C | Apr 15, 2014 10:45:35 AM

6. Why not just move it to another city? And lose the "queer gamers" hipster tag!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 15, 2014 11:00:42 AM

7. Sad to hear, but not unexpected. I don't know why they decided to hold it at the pricey Intercontinental this year. Did the organizers get a little too excited about the success of last years con?

It seems like this could be held down the peninsula somewhere for much cheaper. I don't think there is really any wrongdoing happening, just an overconfidence hiccup for the sophomore event.

I hope things work out. I had a great time at last year's event and look forward to this years event.

Posted by: BubbaQ | Apr 15, 2014 11:03:44 AM

8. I'm guessing the sponsors got a deal at the Intercontinental, and aren't interested in moving to another city because they live in SF and the convention isn't their vocation or even profitable. And if they can't get corporate funding from the industry in SF, they're unlikely to get it elsewhere.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2014 11:55:52 AM

9. Is there a rule that says that it HAS to be in SF? Just move it to city that offers a less expensive venue. Jesus, people can be so stupid sometimes.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Apr 15, 2014 12:29:30 PM

10. As a child of the 80s/90s whose videogame experience began with Telstar (thanks dad!) and ended with SNES (ACTUAL Thanks, Dad!) - this online gaming thing is baffling and strange to me (hey dad, i turned into you after all!)

That said, I've talked to many younger folks who are very much into the gaming world and they've shared stories about how grossly homophobic a lot of gamers are. I explained it to them as best I could - they're dealing with perpetual basement-dwellers. It's almost always par for the course.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2014 12:30:34 PM

11. There is Bent-Con (Bent-con.org) in its 5th year in Los Angeles-Burbank. LGBT, and not only for gaymers. It's also cosplay, comics, movies, sci-fi, art, etc. I went last year and it was lots of fun. Even had mermaid/men pool party!

Posted by: GZeus | Apr 15, 2014 12:37:35 PM

12. So even if the organizers do live in SF there's still dozens of cities nearby. San Jose? Oakland? Both are transit accessible and both have their own airports.

Posted by: Craig | Apr 15, 2014 12:40:27 PM

13. Seattle has a large gaming and tech community and lots of opportunities for sponsorships. Bring to the Pacific Northwest!

Posted by: Smartypants | Apr 15, 2014 12:41:16 PM

14. Is ANYTHING in SF affordable anymore? I lived there for 3 years in the early 90's with 3 different shAred apartments, but I was able to do it while working retail and occasionally hosting or waiting tables. (It was a big deal when I was finally able to just work 5 days a week!) I don't know how young people-which gamers often are, or at least under 40-can afford to live in SF, much less go out for a cocktail or two on Fridays for under $30. They can bring their convention to Portland for a fraction of the cost.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 15, 2014 12:42:11 PM

15. Are Gaymers aware that there are cities outside San Francisco? I hear there's an entire country called... now what is it... SUA? AUS? ASU? something like that.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 15, 2014 12:57:55 PM

16. Seattle really would be such a perfect fit for this.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 15, 2014 2:00:30 PM

17. As an avid gaymer, I find this disappointing! I'm also confused as to why it hasn't relocated to a cheaper, but still attractive, location. But then I have no idea how to organize an event of that size, or what costs look like for it. How much cheaper would Chicago really even be?

Posted by: Lucas H | Apr 15, 2014 4:21:15 PM

18. Why not Seattle? We already have PAX up here.

Portland is also a good and even cheaper option.

Posted by: brandon h | Apr 15, 2014 5:21:44 PM