Michael Sam | News | NFL

Ex-NFL Player Upset Michael Sam Kissed His Boyfriend On TV

Fansided reports that, in a series of tweets yesterday, Derrick Ward slammed ESPN for airing the emotional celebratory kiss between Michael Sam and his boyfriend, Vito Cammisano, just after the former received the historic news that he'd been drafted by the St. Louis Rams. He also berated Sam himself.

Ward, who retired from the NFL in 2012, even criticized national television as a whole calling it "disgusting" for airing the touching moment which he believes was inappropriate for children.

He followed up those messages with a tweet that read: "But for real though most of u need to read the bible. It'll explain a lot in that book."

As of this afternoon, Ward, who hasn't backed down from any of his posts, claims that his words have been "twisted."

Comments

1. No, his words aren't twisted; he is.

Posted by: Joe | May 11, 2014 4:57:49 PM

2. Maybe he should read the bible. I guess he supports slavery too?

Posted by: Chrislam | May 11, 2014 5:02:03 PM

3. Right, and if it were a straight couple kissing I'm sure there would be nary a peep and no crying "will somebody think of the children!"

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 11, 2014 5:06:14 PM

4. I love that he exposed himself as a liar, first claiming he was against all PDA on "national tv" before telling us the truth that he's a homophobic bible-thumper.

Posted by: Josh | May 11, 2014 5:06:15 PM

5. I love that he exposed himself as a liar, first claiming he's against all PDA on "national tv" before telling us the truth that he's a homophobic bible-thumper.

Posted by: Josh | May 11, 2014 5:08:50 PM

6. Apparently he DOES care that Michael Sam is gay, despite his protestations otherwise. What was that "read the Bible" nonsense about? Are we supposed to find a verse about kissing with tongue on television? Methinks not. But we will find verses on not touching footballs. Maybe that's with this p.o.s. is referring to:

Leviticus 11:7-8
    7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Posted by: Marc | May 11, 2014 5:15:44 PM

7. Apparently he DOES care that Michael Sam is gay, despite his protestations otherwise. What was that "read the Bible" nonsense about? Are we supposed to find a verse about kissing with tongue on television? Methinks not. But we will find verses on not touching footballs. Maybe that's with this p.o.s. is referring to:

Leviticus 11:7-8

Posted by: Marc | May 11, 2014 5:15:46 PM

8. I wipe my a** with the Bible.

Posted by: Pandion | May 11, 2014 5:18:33 PM

9. Dear Derrick:

Kiss my ass. And then, take your bible and shove it up yours.

Love,
    Me

Posted by: jamal49 | May 11, 2014 5:20:50 PM

10. How do you twist that? It's pretty direct. Bringing the Bible into it removed all of his credibility.

Posted by: JEFF YORK | May 11, 2014 5:21:17 PM

11. Let's have lots more gay kissing.....maybe even as much as the straights.......( even just to pi$$ off the bigots and the bible prudes)....

Yeah Derrick; I read the bible, it's just a badly written farce.....nothing more.

If your god were to write one book I think we'd all expect something a little smarter.
    Grow up Derrick, you're pathetic.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 11, 2014 5:22:52 PM

12. First of all there was NO tongue kissing. It was just a peck. Why do religious people all tell so many lies ?

Posted by: Icebloo | May 11, 2014 5:33:21 PM

13. Kissing is the most intimate isn't it Derrick

Posted by: Patrick | May 11, 2014 5:46:51 PM

14. Kids don't watch the Draft. It's just a modern day slave auction.

Posted by: Kev C | May 11, 2014 6:15:23 PM

15. "Gay or not."? Isn't "Gay" Ward's entire problem? Somehow I don't think "or not" would be a problem for him.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | May 11, 2014 6:19:25 PM

16. I guess I don't understand why children can't see 2 men in love kissng!??!?! What do people think is going to happen?.....The kids might "catch" it! You cannot "catch" being gay by watching same sex couples kissing,etc.

Posted by: Bernie | May 11, 2014 6:25:20 PM

17. Thanks Icebloo. I thought I was losing my mind. I might be, but at least I didn't miss some tongue.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 11, 2014 6:31:16 PM

18. Yet another physically active argument for the use of the white man's religion to put colored folks in their place

Posted by: Manny Espinola | May 11, 2014 6:32:28 PM

19. ==========

1 Samuel 20:

41 After the boy had gone, David got up from the south side of the stone and bowed down before Jonathan three times, with his face to the ground. Then they kissed each other and wept together—but David wept the most.

==========

Maybe Derrick needs to tell himself to read the Bible. That was the passage I was thinking when I saw Sam and Vito kissing. Congratulations Sam!

Posted by: Chrislam | May 11, 2014 6:32:28 PM

20. I shall continue my evil ways, which includes man-humping and bacon. Mmmmm.

Posted by: Russ | May 11, 2014 6:43:49 PM

21. Let's have more equal opportunity kissing ... it's what the world needs, kissing ...

Posted by: RichB in PS | May 11, 2014 6:45:00 PM

22. I see these tweets the same way I see the Russian lawmakers and rapper complaining about Conchita Wurst (of course Russia's homophobia and what's occurring in the country is much worse but that's not the point I'm going to make).

A large yet dwindling portion of our world CANNOT HANDLE queer visibility, find it offensive, and have a sense of moral arrogance that doesn't allow them to recognize opposing views as valid.

This is why I really hope Michael Sam makes the Rams. People like Derrick Ward find homosexuality uncomfortable. We don't want youth to grow up like Derrick Ward. It takes visibility to change minds. The days of placating to the discomfort of heterosexuals have ended.

Posted by: Francis | May 11, 2014 6:45:56 PM

23. Unfortunately like with racism progress does not mean an end to homophobia

This is a reality that gays must start to realize

Posted by: Factoid | May 11, 2014 6:50:11 PM

24. Oh yes, the same Bible that was used to justify the enslavement of Africans and the continued denial of civil rights into the 1960s.

Never understood why people place such value on that book.

Posted by: homer | May 11, 2014 6:52:50 PM

25. This is just the kind of media circus that every team that considered drafting Michael Sam wanted to avoid--fear of which was no doubt why he dropped so low (to the end of the 7th round) and was almost not drafted at all.

Had he simply taken the phone call from the Rams, shaken hands with and hugged family members and hugged his partner briefly, none of the media frenzy would be happening.

So he brought it on himself--and it will most likely cost him a spot on an NFL roster, even if he performs well in camp. No NFL team wants the kind of distractions that his behavior yesterday caused, from any player for any reason.

And his actions will have made it much more difficult for any other gay player coming out of college to be drafted or make a roster and they will therefore be more likely to remain in the closet, just like all the gay players in the NFL are now...

Posted by: Rixk | May 11, 2014 6:55:08 PM