Transgender | Video

The Amazing Story Of Ryland The Transgender Child Will Make You Smile: VIDEO

Ryland_1

This week, the Whittington Family uploaded a single video onto YouTube — the story of their grandchild Ryland. Ryland was born deaf. But soon after he learned to hear and speak with cochlear implants, he announced that he was a boy (despite being born female).

Early on, Ryland began to exhibit an aversion to anything feminine and began to exhibit feelings of shame over people repeatedly telling him he was a girl.

Through research, the Whittingtons learned that 41 percent of transgender people attempt suicide because of a lack of acceptance. Ryland could have been one of these statistics, but his parents refused to let that happen.

The video shows Ryland’s progression from a young child into the handsome and happy little man he is today. “Our hope is that our voice will be heard, and this world will become a more loving and accepting place for Ryland and the entire lGBTQ community,” the Whittingtons said.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP…

The clip was first broadcast at the Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast last week where the family accepted a well-deserved Inspiration Award.

The clip has caught fire online, with close to 400,000 views.

Ryland_2

Comments

1. the heart SINGS!

this is what it means to be a parent. this is what supporting your child is supposed to be about. how wonderful for Ryland to have been born to a family of open and intelligent and compassionate human beings. MORE PLEASE.

worth noting - at a recent PFLAG meeting we had six new families coming in, to get support and understand what the "next steps" are as their children have come out as transgendered. how wonderful to see our society and culture embracing actual understanding and rationale, and forgoing the archaic "i don't like what i choose to not understand" nonsense that has stymied progress for so long.

this story is wonderful. spread it like wildfire.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 30, 2014 1:28:11 PM

2. Cant tie shoes on her own but she's some how capable of making gender decisions??? and there is no such thing as "lGBTQ community"

Can the trannies please stop coming after our children?

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 30, 2014 1:38:05 PM

3. This six-year-old child is not a "he." The child was born a girl and is a "she." I'm sure the child is very proud of the fact that SHE was able to control her parents like this and get them to say and do everything she wants. They would have deserved an "inspiration" award more if they had said, "No" to this kid a little more often. No wonder why men who (very badly) dress as women act so entitled out in public.

If their child had said "I think I'm a rabbit," would they have gone along with that too?

Posted by: Hmmm | May 30, 2014 1:42:40 PM

4. As a pediatrician I say this is insanity to do this to a child before the onset of puberty. I suppose they'll get some quack to start anti-estrogens or possibly remove the ovaries? Jesus Christ talk about fcked up! Treating a prepubertal child like you wouldn't treat a dog. You have no clue how this child will react at 12 or 13 when the pituitary hormones are released and now some external force will fck with that. Outrageous.

Posted by: Mike | May 30, 2014 1:43:50 PM

5. Wow. Very moving. What great parents and what a charmer Ryland is.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | May 30, 2014 1:45:06 PM

6. Here's what every trans story on towleroad reveals: this site has one or two cowardly gay males whose families never loved and accepted them. now - MANY gay men have s**t families - but many gay men rise above, and see that the problem was their s**t family, not Others. To the troll, using this inspiring story to spew hate - we get it. We truly do. You're upset that this trans boy was understood, loved, accepted, embraced - and you as a gay man were not.

you should be happy that Ryland will grow up with a sense of dignity, and love and strength and confidence that you have never known, and never WILL know.

the day an anti-trans commenter on this site has the orbs to make their comments from a place of legit visibility is...oh who am i kidding? that day will never come.

we get it, troll. you hate that "those others" are accepted and welcomed, and you never were. choose instead to be happy that Ryland will grow up to achieve all that you never were able to - including giving and receiving love with people who know how.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 30, 2014 1:47:01 PM

7. Damn those onions. What an uplifting start to the weekend.

Posted by: Bollox | May 30, 2014 1:48:28 PM

8. HMMM, you're contributing to fostering understanding in the LGB AND T community. In many ways, we ARE a community. We may not all party together, and we may not all have friends, but our rights are intrinsically tied together.

You can fight over a word, its etymology, whether it's slang or slur, who should be able to use it, etc., but you shouldn't stoop so low as to disavow someone's identity and desires to have the same rights and privileges you want.

And just as many of us who are gay knew it very, very early on, so is the case with many trans men and women.

F^ck off, you ignorant pr!ck.

Posted by: Rene | May 30, 2014 1:50:28 PM

9. you're *SUPPOSED to be contributing to fostering understanding

Posted by: Rene | May 30, 2014 1:52:26 PM

10. I play a pediatrician in online comments, so my opinion matters. Lolz at you people.

Posted by: Rick | May 30, 2014 1:53:20 PM

11. I don't know about all the rest of you but I knew I was gay when I was probably 4 years old. I didn't know there was a word (gay) for how I felt but I did know that I liked boys and never once saw myself with a girl. And my dad, a single parent, recognized my sexual orientation early and embraced rather than shunned it. As did my older brothers and only sister. I was never made to feel an outcast or unloved. As a teen, my brothers went out of their way to find gay guys for me to become friends with. The good thing is, it was an older brother's best friend who is now my love, partner and husband. From such experience I believe Ryland will do just fine, despite those who are so desperate to condemn gay and transgender people.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | May 30, 2014 1:55:15 PM

12. Agree Kiwi and Mike Ryan,

what a beautiful family and what a beautiful AND HEALTHY little boy.

Lord, first CRISPY had me laughing so hard on the "Making Love" discussion, now, I'm crying with joy looking at this video.

I'm gettin' the hell away from this computer.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 30, 2014 1:58:38 PM

13. Cary - rest assured, the anti-trans commenter is one sad lonely unloved homosexual coward who needs to spew anonymous hate as a distraction from the worthlessness of his own unloved life.

it's textbook - the guys who never found love or acceptance hate it when the people their piece of s**t families conditioned them to hate get more love and joy out of life than THEY do.

some people who live a life devoid of love are simply bitter that others have been loved and accepted, just as they are.

see also: Gay Republicans.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 30, 2014 1:59:30 PM

14. I knew there'd be some trolls and/or idiots in the comments.

This is a wonderful story. I'm so glad he has such a wonderful and understanding family.

"this is insanity to do this to a child before the onset of puberty"

It's easier and better to transition before puberty than after. But what will likely happen is he will be given drugs to delay puberty til he's a little older and sure this is what he wants, then given drugs to go through male puberty. Will certainly spare him having to get top surgery later.

And it's possible he could change his mind, go bac to being a girl. And that's fine. But for now he identifies as a boy and he's so happy this way. I'm glad his family is on board. I wish him well.

Posted by: Will | May 30, 2014 2:01:37 PM

15. If a kid was left-handed, he would know it by age 2 or 3. I am not an expert, just someone who battled my own preconceptions about "who I should be," and came through with a more open mind about things. God knows I related as well to the girls in my 1st grade class as I did the boys, much to the dismay of my male friends yelling about "cooties". Who is to say what this little girl "knew" before she became a little boy? But writing angry personal opinions and passing judgment hardly seems fair. How about some scientific data here? Something tells me the pediatrician who commented before does not have all the current data supporting pre-pubescent transitions, and is relying more on "common sense" to bolster his medical knowledge about hormonal development. "Common sense" is the same argument the anti-gay wingnuts use when they talk about how men don't have parts that fit, therefore have unnatural relationships. Seriously, don't stoop to that level when attacking this story.

Posted by: Dave | May 30, 2014 2:04:23 PM

16. Get back to me when that kid is 12 or 13 and develops breasts and begins menstruating. 100 bucks says this is going to blow up in their faces and "he's " going to want to be "she" again. Idiots. Fckin idiots.

Posted by: Mike | May 30, 2014 2:08:01 PM

17. Saw this yesterday. I thought it was lovely. After reading this thread, I now know why so many people hate our community. Because we hate ourselves. Good god, you bitches are hateful.

Posted by: mtich | May 30, 2014 2:11:01 PM

18. Yeah when you have an agenda and cast prepubertal toddlers into roles that fit your agenda and add pretty music it tends to be "beautiful".

Posted by: Mike | May 30, 2014 2:14:12 PM

19. Why do you all assume that the anti-trans commenters are gay?

Anyway, beautiful story. Too bad there aren't more parents like this in the world.

One thing does bother me. Having many deaf friends I'm aware that many people in the deaf community feel that giving children cochlear implants is akin to trying to change a gay kids sexual orientation. I see their point but I'm conflicted about it. Not being deaf myself I will never fully understand how they feel just as straight people can never fully understand what it means and feels like to be gay and what the special struggles and needs of gay people are. This is a very sensitive and difficult issue, particularly for the parents who only want to do what's best for their child.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 30, 2014 2:25:21 PM

20. When you have an agenda of being open to and accepting of everyone for who they are and everyone is happy it tends to be beautiful.

But when you're a cowardly republican troll like me nothing is beautiful in your life and you're never happy.

Posted by: Mike | May 30, 2014 2:25:46 PM

21. Wow. I thought I was a completely accepting person, but this video opened my mind and heart even more. Thanks to this amazing family.

Posted by: Mikey DallasM | May 30, 2014 2:25:55 PM

22. @Mike the only "fckin idiot" is you. You clearly know nothing about transgenderism or how it's treated so you really should just stfu.

Posted by: Not that rob | May 30, 2014 2:26:44 PM

23. @ Rene

You do know that when you use foul language and name calling on a message board, it makes you look ignorant, right?

Posted by: Laughing | May 30, 2014 2:28:44 PM

24. Typical libtards coming to the defense of practices that stand in defiance of nature.

Posted by: Mike | May 30, 2014 2:29:25 PM

25. Typical libtards coming to the defense of practices that stand in defiance of nature.

Posted by: Rick | May 30, 2014 2:29:31 PM