Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Proposal | Gay Pride | Instagram | News | Portland

Gay Marriage Proposal Of The Day: Ryan And Clayton

Powell's, the largest independent bookstore in the world (located in Portland, OR), became the site of an adorable same-sex marriage proposal this week. Towleroad reader Clayton told us that he thought he was going to a friend's book signing when, lo and behold, now-fiance Ryan got down on one knee.

Powell's tweeted this Instagram picture with the caption: "Today's best thing. #Repost from @malexonthego --- It was so special getting to witness Ryan propose to Clayton. I love love! #hesaidyes."

PowellsProposal

Congrats to Ryan and Clayton!

Comments

1. the phrase "same sex marriage proposal" bugs the crap out me

it's a marriage proposal pure and simple

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 15, 2014 12:23:28 PM

2. That is even worse than " same sex wedding".

Posted by: Peter | Jun 15, 2014 12:28:30 PM

3. Here is the video we made of our proposal!!!

Posted by: Ryan Craig | Jun 15, 2014 12:39:48 PM

4. Ewww old people.

Posted by: Enchantra | Jun 15, 2014 12:52:51 PM

5. The young and stupid.

Posted by: Peter | Jun 15, 2014 1:05:02 PM

6. Good luck guys. If the comments are any indication, you're on your own.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 15, 2014 1:44:02 PM

7. We know these guys-they're sweethearts. Very happy for them!

Posted by: Dback | Jun 15, 2014 1:56:47 PM

8. Why do people feel the need to stage elaborate, public, carefully-choreographed-with-the-help-of-friends-and-family proposals that are video recorded and then posted online for all to see?! It seems to me that a proposal of marriage should be among the most deeply personal moments in the life of a couple. Why on earth would you destroy the intimacy of the moment by including not only friends and family but also total strangers in the form of bystanders and people on the internet?! It strikes me as showy, crass and narcissistic. It's even worse than the old dropping down on one knee in a crowded, fancy restaurant thus putting the proposee in the awkward position of *having* to say yes because the entire restaurant is staring. I don't get it. I really don't understand it at all.

I wish the couple in this photo all the happiness in the world. Truly, I do. I just think this trend of 'crowdsourced proposals' is patently tacky and the very opposite of romantic.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 15, 2014 6:11:29 PM

9. It's about proclaiming their love for each other, Pete. In front of everyone. Surely you can empathize with that?

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jun 15, 2014 7:16:25 PM

10. Mazel tov! And at Powell's too!

Posted by: DavidR | Jun 15, 2014 8:19:08 PM

11. I love this stuff! I hope they share more of their future episodes of marital bliss with us!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jun 16, 2014 12:43:12 AM

12. Gotta agree with Peter.Less is more.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 16, 2014 1:40:15 PM

13. Ok Peter and followers: maybe all married people should keep their marriages and engagements private too - no more newspaper announcements. No more rings - no more pictures of spouses and kids at work. Would that make you happy? Or maybe you could stop being so judgmental and if you don't like it - don't look at complain.

Posted by: JC | Jun 16, 2014 1:47:25 PM