Instagram | R. Kelly | Transgender

R. Kelly On Transgender Son: 'No Matter What They Are or Who They Are...You Love Them' - VIDEO

Rkelly

During an interview with his hometown radio station WGCI, R. Kelly gave a handful of mixed answers when questioned about his son who identifies as transgender.

Jay"You don't really wanna open it up by saying my daughter is becoming my son," he corrected interviewers sharply. “Always believe what you see with your own eyes, that is. Always believe what you see.” Kelly continued. “Thats the best way to go about this business I’ve heard a lot of things about a lot of people, it was never true.”

R. Kelly’s son Jay came out as transgender via his Instagram profile earlier this month. Since then Jay has taken to his Ask.fm account fielding questions about his personal life, his decision to come out, and the typical issues that occupy the lives of most 14-year olds (he’s a Spongebob fan.)

In contrast with his son’s surprisingly public and transparent coming out, Kelly has been relatively mum on the topic. When pressed further, Kelly asserted that above all else his children were undoubtedly his highest priority.

“No matter what they are or who they are, they still your kids, you love them, you know but you’ve got to support them,” Kelly asserted. “At the end of the day, it’s not about me no more it’s about three lovely, lovely kids that I’m in love with and that’s in love with me.”

Watch R. Kelly’s full interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. They're human beings ffs. Remember that.

Posted by: ColonelMustard | Jun 24, 2014 7:42:57 PM

2. R Kelly seems to have his priorities in order. Give some credit where credit is due. Seems like a good father who loves his kids. Better than the vast majority out there.

Posted by: jonnathewoodswoman | Jun 24, 2014 8:39:36 PM

3. Nice.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 24, 2014 9:35:10 PM

4. There's nothing about that statement a truly loving parent can disagree with.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jun 24, 2014 9:47:53 PM

5. R. Kelly is gross: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/12/read_the_stomac.php

Posted by: John | Jun 24, 2014 10:36:51 PM

6. How long did it take Cher to stop insulting her son???? Yeah. Exactly.

And I don't even like the guy, plus I think his child is attention seeking. Why make it public?? To rile Daddy up of course.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 24, 2014 11:44:06 PM

7. @John, please think about what you're saying. That's no different than asserting that any gay child of a famous person only comes out for attention.

Why should this kid keep the fact that they're transgender a secret just because their dad's famous? In saying that he only did it to "rile Daddy up", that's pretty much what you're implying.

Posted by: Dre | Jun 25, 2014 12:19:28 AM

8. I apologize, John.

This should have been directed at Rowan.

Posted by: Dre | Jun 25, 2014 12:20:46 AM

9. What the hell? Is Towleroad serious with the spin on this article? He told the interviewer not to call his daughter his son and then tried to act like Jay's being transgender was a rumor that's not to be believed. He let off some generic spiel about accepting your children immediately after denying his son's gender identity outright, and this is the headline you choose?

Posted by: JMC | Jun 25, 2014 1:59:57 AM

10. Allow Kelly the time it takes any parent to deal with it. Unfortunately, Kelly is a moron in the public eye, so we can't take his twisted, non-sensical comments to heart. But at the base of it, he sounds like a loving father who will deal with it and come around eventually. Better than the alternative, thats for damn sure.

Posted by: Princely | Jun 25, 2014 2:21:48 AM

11. Rowan you're such a f@g. The only one that should matter what he thinks is his transgender child!

Posted by: CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jun 25, 2014 3:42:32 AM

12. Sometimes Towleroad can be such a race baiting gay web site

Posted by: CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jun 25, 2014 3:44:46 AM

13. More dreary tranny stories which have no relevance to LGB people.

Who decided to include trannies in the LGB community.

When was there a debate about that?

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 25, 2014 5:38:46 AM

14. The christians aren't going to like this. And neither are a lot of the LGBT-haters who haunt this site.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jun 25, 2014 5:46:55 AM

15. Is R Kelly's tranny son gay?

If not then why is this being reported.

Trannies are their own community.

Drop the T.

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 25, 2014 7:52:03 AM

16. Drop the Maryam! LGBT forever! Haha. Thanks to Andy Towle for continuing to report on transgender issues and stories.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jun 25, 2014 11:19:06 AM

17. I don't think it's a bad thing reporting trans issues but I doubt that towleroad has that many trans readers and therefore it's not really serving its readership by having such a huge need of related stories.

Posted by: Tristram | Jun 25, 2014 11:41:17 AM

18. *huge number

Posted by: Tristram | Jun 25, 2014 11:41:59 AM

19. There's plenty of "straight" stories on Towleroad too. I don't hear all of the whining about that.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jun 25, 2014 1:28:22 PM

20. Oh, i realize that there was a debate. And everyone who isn't a worthless trolling coward like myself was too busy hiding in the closet to attend and cast our votes. So, all those openly-gay and non-bigoted straight people voted, and they decided that LGBT is a good thing, while closeted trolls like me didn't have our voices heard, namely because we're too cowardly to actually use our real voices. Oh well. I guess it's my own fault for being a cowardly little troll with no life.

Long live LGBT - I concede that my cowardice is my problem, not yours.

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 25, 2014 1:42:22 PM