Michael C. Hall to Take Over for Andrew Rannells in ‘Hedwig And The Angry Inch’ on Broadway

Hall

Actor Michael C. Hall, best known for Dexter and his role as gay funeral director David Fisher in Six Feet Under, will take over for Andrew Rannells in Hedwig and the Angry Inch in October, producers announced today.

Rannells is currently performing in the titular role for a limited eight-week run ending October 12. Rannells originally took over the role from Neil Patrick Harris.

The Hollywood Reporter adds that this marks Hall's first musical theater role in over a decade – following his Broadway debut as the emcee in Cabaret in 1999 and his role as Billy Flynn in Chicago in 2002.

[pic via Twitter]

Comments

1. Mike says

I wonder if this version of Hedwig will end with Hedwig growing a beard and living an isolated life as a lumberjack.

2. Robert says

A briliant replacement choice and will add a new dimension to the role. Michael is super-talented, a good singer and so sexy. Can’t wait to see him!

3. Derrick from Philly says

I’ve never seen the movie nor the play. But I wonder, could a Transgender person do the part? I mean, I understand that the main character is German, but what about Laverne Cox in the role?

Don’t go into a damn tizzy. I’m just asking.

4. disgusted american says

hat a grueling roll…seems one couldn’t do this for months on end…….NPH looked like he lost weight doing it….

5. Vint says

@Disgusted American: NPH has said he lost the weight in preparation for the role, because he thought Hedwig should be a “starving artist” type, so it’s not the exertion of the role that’s responsible.

6. Kenneth says

Derrick, in a word, no. The titular character is much more about self-discovery and healing rather than gender. I could see someone transgendered in the role of Yitzak.
    Yes, it is a grueling role, and yes, NPH dropped a significant amount of weight for the role. I imaging Mr. Hall would have to do the same.

7. Kenneth says

8. Wisebear says

Of course the role could be played by a transgendered person. We never actually see the “angry inch” after all.

Derrick, I’m sure Laverne Cox could act the role. But can she sing? It’s a killer vocal score.

9. Kenneth says

One of the beautiful things about theater, is that anything is possible. However, for this role to be played by a fully realized transgendered person, it would require serious re-writes. That’s not to say it wouldn’t be an interesting take on the character or the show, just a fact. While we don’t ever see the “angry inch, the show does end with a shirtless, masculine Hedwig. Unless Laverne Cox has no breasts, that would be rather difficult to achieve.

10. Robert says

I know Michael C Hall is supposedly straight, but how many queer roles is he gonna take on, seriously?

He had lymphoma a while back, right? Glad to see he’s still doing well. I bet he’s gonna kill it.

11. bicurious says

I just know he is going to take this role to the absolute limit! I hope to see him perform it. My advice to him is he better start working on his kegel exercises if he isn’t already. He will definitely need the strength. Of course if he was a gay guy he would already be up to speed on his kegels LOL.

12. Derrick from Philly says

OK,

I’m going to make one more statement, and then I’m going to get the fvck off of this discussion.

What about RuPaul?

Those of you who have seen this Broadway show–could RuPaul do it?

13. Rowan says

Derrick, would that not be an entirely different show??

Race in Europe is very different then in the US.

Race in GERMANY…re Berlin wall is very different then in the rest of Europe.

What gives?? Stirrer!?!

14. Three Dollar Bill says

Not a bad option, Philly, but referring to your original question – RuPaul isn’t transgender. He’s a Drag Queen. And as much as I love me some RuPaul, he’s in his mid-50s, and this is a very physically exhausting role even for someone much younger. Would he even want to? Don’t know. Would be fun to see him give it a go, though.

15. Kenneth says

I think Derrick, that yes, Ru Paul certainly could do it, if he could sing the songs. I’ve met Ru personally, I’ve watched his career go from barely an androgynous go-go girly-boy, to where he is now and everything in between. I am sure he has the talent, but I have never heard him sing on that level. Wouldn’t mind seeing him give it a run, that’s for sure.

16. Kenneth says

I would have to add, though, the androgynous Ru of 1980s Atlanta is far closer to Hedwig than the glamazon he is today.

17. Kenneth says

My pleasure, I love the show! If you can’t make it to see on Broadway, rent the movie, or look for a local production, it really is a great show.

18. says

This show/story isn’t just about being able to sing. There is some emotional depth that John Cameron Mitchell was able to portray perfectly in the film. I def don’t think someone like RuPaul has that ability. It’s more about that than it is about looking like someone who could be transgendered. The character isn’t really transgendered in any case.