road.jpg Video: There are 14 defining characteristics of fascism.

road.jpg In new book Jesse Helms says Bono changed his mind about AIDS: “”Until then it had been my feeling that AIDS was a disease largely spread by reckless and voluntary sexual and drug-abusing behavior, and that it would probably be confined to those in high risk populations. I was wrong.”

road.jpg Madonna planning West End musical with Andrew Lloyd-Webber? A Kabbalah Hotel?

Comments

1. Mitch says

Wow! Imagine that, someone on the left that engages a conservative and changes his mind, instead of calling him a Nazi.

2. says

How is this any better? He’s saying: “Oh, when I thought AIDS was just going to kill fags, well, who cared? But now we know it will kill anyone–and we have to do something!”

3. kimmer says

Too little, too late, Senator Helms. The damage you intentionally inflicted on gay men will take generations to rectify. I’m not necessarily proud of this, but I agree with Donald — may you rot in hell.

4. Tom says

It’s too bad that someone who changed Helm’s mind had to be a world famous cultural icon isn’t it? The suffering of people here in America, some of them his constituents, wasn’t enough to alter Helm’s simplistic moralizing point of view.

5. Donald says

I was not terribly proud of myself when I wrote that but you know what, try as I may it is not always easy to let go of anger and to forgive & forget. He did much evil through out his career and is now trying to clear his soul because he does beleive in hell and is terrified of going there.

Timothy I do not believe that there is a hell

6. says

While it’s sort of silly, but it is good of Jesse to admit he was wrong. Not to mention the media does tend to portray AIDS in that light so I’m not really shocked when people think that, as uninlightened as it may be.

7. Baz says

Yes…well…Robert McNamara was terribly sorry about all the Viet Nam misrepresentations, too. Nothing Helms can say today will bring back the dead. I wish he wouldn’t publish, actually. I don’t care to know anything about him.

8. baz says

McNamara apologized for some of his behavior in the Viet Nam years, too. Helms’s memoires won’t bring back the dead, some of whom may rightly be laid at his feet. I wish he wouldn’t publish, actually. One hates to be reminded of the man.

9. Andrew says

Please spare me the PC shit. Helm’s is a KKK wannabe from waaaay back. A homophobe, sexist, mountain hillbilly. I piss on anything that fart says. Believe in what you believe-and say it-he did. He’s a delusional idiot. Fuck him. Just in case my view of Hell is wrong-then I hope he does get the eternal sunburn that he so deserves.

10. says

Video is weak – kind of michael moore-ish bludgeoning of graphic images mixed with content both weak and strong. I hate feeling like something I agree with (basically) is propaganda. Can’t political dialogue be less breathless, more serious?

11. Wayne says

My understanding is that Hell is exactly like San Francisco…and I can’t wait to get there!

12. big.peaches says

i agree this is too little too late. WAY too little. WAY too late. i was in my early 20’s in NYC in the 80’s and i had the severe displeasure of listening to helms’s rhetoric spewing forth as my partner faded away on his deathbed. i wish helms worse than hell. i will do the same thing i did when reagan died: i will dance in the street!

13. big.peaches says

14. says

The ’14 defining characteristics of fascism’ could apply to almost any regime of any political view and as such reduces fascism from a dangerous political theory to an naff attempt to insult a president they don’t like.

As fascism is usually anti religion it’s odd to call Bush a fascist.

15. Andrew says

Henry Wallace, wrote in 1944 during his term as vice president of the United States, “American fascism will not be really dangerous until there is a purposeful coalition among the cartelists, the deliberate poisoners of public information, and those who stand for the K.K.K. type of demagoguery.” [Wallace, 1944]

16. Andrew says

you guys have no comment on facts? SAD bloggers. Did the truth kill you? Argue with me with facts losers….

17. Mitch says

Some facts…

In April of this year Fox News Channel’s average number of primetime viewers was 445,000. Outside of prime that number plummets. The New York Times daily circulation nationwide in March was 1,136,433.

As of July this year there were 295,734,134 people in America.

State controlled media? They sure aren’t doing a very good job.

18. Andrew says

I was kidding with the ‘smarter than you’, but they fucking believe it….

19. says

I have to say, I’m a little tired of people who do damage to other people their entire lives and then, two weeks before the grave, admit they were wrong. And I’m tired of the people who admire them for it.

How about admiring the people who don’t do damage in the first place?

20. Wayne says

Jesse Helms should have died a long time ago…and he should have had AIDS. He’s the modern day Roy Kohn and I’m sure they’ll celebrate together in Hell.

21. Donald says

The difference between Jesse Helms and Roy Cohn is that Roy Cohn was gay but they are (were) evil.

22. says

Liberal Server got it right about the video: It’s basically propoganda.

I say this in spite of the fact that one party rule from the right seems to be moving toward a sort of “fascism lite”. Bush is not another Hitler, but he has this folksy demogoguery to him that gets people to ignore the tough questions we should be asking him.