Music

« | Main | »

10/26/2005

Henry Rollins: I'm Not Gay

Henryrollinsshirtless

Former Black Flag frontman Henry Rollins has told Ohio's Free Times that he's not a homosexual: "This rumor that I was going to come out of the closet was hysterical. I have nothing against an alternative lifestyle, but I’m not gay. There was this rumor that I was going to come out on CNN or on MTV with [VJ] Kennedy. Like I’m going to come out to a Republican."

Comments

1. Henry's always been uber-macho...his comfort in his own masculinity must translate to being gay to some...I think he's just a great guy with a kickin' bod and spirit.

Posted by: midnight lounge | Oct 26, 2005 10:55:23 AM

2. If Henry's not gay, I'd like to know who the hot guy was that he lived with in 1993 in my neighborhood? They sure acted like they were more than roommates. I saw them walking together and coming and going from their place all the time.

Posted by: 14th Street | Oct 26, 2005 11:05:59 AM

3. It would be cool if he was gay

BUT not necessary to appreciate this ALWAYS outspoken WITTY guy

"Like I’m going to come out to a Republican."

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Posted by: Jim | Oct 26, 2005 11:44:57 AM

4. I think he is so freaking sexy... but I guess he won't ne knocking at my door anytime soon.

Posted by: Made In Brazil | Oct 26, 2005 12:02:35 PM

5. We should definitely get some volunteers working on this HOT guy -- he would be well worth the toaster oven!

On a more serious note, I saw Mr. Rollins when he was the master of ceremonies at a DC event supporting gay marriage--WEDROCK--and although he is a wonderfully articulate advocate for equal rights he was definitely giving off more of a hot rocker, sensitive-new-age guy vibe than a hot rocker, gay guy (a la Bob Mould) vibe. He did a great job even though he kept his shirt on. . . It is great to have such a well-spoken, albeit straight, advocate on our side.

Posted by: BustersDad | Oct 26, 2005 12:07:32 PM

6. "Alternative lifestyle"? I didn't realize it's still acceptable to be calling it that.

Posted by: huma | Oct 26, 2005 12:22:27 PM

7. Gay or straight, Henry rocks. Beautiful man with a beautiful mind (and not the Babs Bush kind, either).

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 26, 2005 12:40:18 PM

8. Is that a 'freudian slip' in the last part of the comment?! So telling.

Posted by: ian | Oct 26, 2005 12:41:14 PM

9. This story (about coming out to Kennedy on CNN) is part of one of his spoken word pieces "The Gay Thing" (I believe it's on the "Think Tank" CD).

The bit is actually masterful--he goes on to say that if he were gay he wouldn't be coming out of the closet now because he would've busted the closet up for kindling by the time he was 12 (paraphrased but that's the gist--and it sounds so like his personality).

He also derides the people who can't get past their own fear of homosexuality by likening it to a curb-level hurdle to make--same as racism.

So yeah, Henry's one steaming hot advocate of political sanity and human rights all around, but I'm pretty sure he's straight. Check out some of his spoken word stuff for more-- there's another piece called "If I was Gay" etc. Plus when he talks about what he does with women, well, let's just say if he's faking it, the boy deserves an Oscar.

Posted by: mick | Oct 26, 2005 2:28:21 PM

10. I second the inexcusable, ignorant use of the term "alternate lifestyle." Get with the program, Doris, or shut up! Retro macho hotness is no excuse.

Posted by: Leland | Oct 26, 2005 2:29:53 PM

11. How can you not love a guy that looks like that but thinks like that. I think if Henry were gay he would have blown the closet door off and used the broken pieces for kindling.

Posted by: digger | Oct 26, 2005 2:33:24 PM

12. just because he says 'alternative lifestyle' doesn't mean he's being homophobic. don't be so hypersensitive.

remember, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. and having seen henry rollins live, and listened to a bunch of his spoken word, he's not homophobic. quite the opposite.

he's super-awesome. :D

Posted by: Dave | Oct 26, 2005 3:14:19 PM

13. I'd fuck him. :)

Posted by: cafegogo | Oct 26, 2005 4:46:35 PM

14. Would it make Henry Rollins gay if I let him sit on my face?

Posted by: JEFF | Oct 26, 2005 5:42:18 PM

15. If Rollins is gay, the smart money doesn't have him sucking; no way Henry would permit a dick to interrupt his very loud and mindless/hip ramblings.
    That he is a celeb at all reminds us of the wisdom of BEING THERE: "All you gotta be is white in America."

Posted by: Giacomo | Oct 26, 2005 5:59:13 PM

16. If Rollins is gay, the smart money doesn't have him sucking; no way Henry would permit a dick to interrupt his very loud and mindless/hip ramblings.

Posted by: Giacomo | Oct 26, 2005 6:00:58 PM

17. Interesting how so many comments devolve into sex talk on this site.

Giacomo...Rollins has been famous longer than you've known your name rhymes with 'gay.' Way back when he was in Black Flag Henry taught an entire generation of kids that they could articulate their anger politically without racism or bigotry toward other individuals and instead direct it toward institutions & governments. He may be loud and not very concise but there are many more famous & far more mindless in this country (Paris, Brittney et al). Rollins rants always have been based on the passion he has for & in his beliefs. Try to get the Hiltons & Spears to spell passion let alone have a little for something that matters. And if I remember correctly, Kesey, Burroughs & Kerouac were known to ramble a little bit.

14thStreet - Have you read any of Rollins? When not on stage Henry's an intensely private guy & very close-knit with his small group of friends. I imagine him to be tight with his friends like I am with my best friend of almost 20 years (we're both gay & yet we've never slept with each other...imagine).

So yeah, Henry's a sexy guy. But when he's on a stage talking about equality for everyone, the girls will listen because he's hot & the straight guys will listen because he's cool. And all of us gays can stare & slobber & know that it's not a bad thing to have a loud, good-looking no bullshit type of guy on our side. Not a bad thing at all.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Oct 26, 2005 7:53:31 PM

18. Props 2 Basis. Post of the year IMHO.

Posted by: Becks07 | Oct 27, 2005 1:34:55 AM

19. Yawn. How many years is this stupid rumor going to keep going on for?

Posted by: RP | Oct 27, 2005 2:48:37 PM

20. A lot of henry's appeal is based on the masculinity he projects. It sucks but coming out publicly would alienate many of his fans and leave him with a largely gay fanbase. Henry loves attention too much to risk his bread & butter. Gay or not, there's no way he'd publicly come out.

Posted by: theshark | Oct 28, 2005 1:49:31 AM

21. Free speach rules. Henry can say Alternative Lifestyle all he wants, as long as his sexy mouth just keeps right on talking.

Posted by: keva | Oct 28, 2005 2:47:50 AM

22. i heard years ago that him and Vaginal cream davis had a affair( if u dont know who that is, im really sorry).

i think he is super gay and he is a hot muther..

Posted by: ricardo | Oct 29, 2005 5:25:26 PM

23. Henry Rollins is an overrated airbag.

Posted by: Country Boy | Nov 10, 2006 11:58:46 PM

24. man!!! henry rollins, he is the maximum sXe!!!

Posted by: natas | Nov 20, 2007 4:01:42 PM

25. Give it up Henry, I dated one of your ex boyfriend. Do the initials PF ring a bell?

Posted by: severin | Feb 7, 2009 5:31:06 PM