Sports

« | Main | »

10/26/2005

Sheryl Swoopes: I'm Gay

SherylswoopesBasketball player Sheryl Swoopes is now the highest ranking professional athlete to come out of the closet while still in the game.

In an interview with ESPN magazine, the three-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time MVP of the WNBA says "[I'm] tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about."

Several high ranking professional male athletes have come out of the closet, but only after retirement. Former NFL player Esera Tuaolo told Outsports, "Maybe this will help other athletes who are wrestling with whether to come out of the closet. She should just know that she has support. When you come out, you find a new family and we’re all going to rally around her."

Congratulations Sheryl. The truth has set you free.

Comments

1. Awesome!

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 26, 2005 9:57:36 AM

2. I can think of few better reasons to come out than the one she gives: "[I'm] tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about."

That honors herself and her partner. It's quite lovely.

Posted by: fastlad | Oct 26, 2005 11:10:04 AM

3. I'm a little worried about the backlash from her "I wasn't born this way" comment. How did she become a lesbian, then was she "turned out" which seems to play into many of the fears and misconceptions about gay people.
    Anyway, it's a courageous thing to do.
    James

Posted by: James | Oct 26, 2005 11:35:12 AM

4. james???? what are you talking about??? i even read the original article via the link and I did not see anything pertaining to her saying what you said she said. She NEVER said "she wasn't born this way". Have you had your cofee yet????

Posted by: Jim | Oct 26, 2005 11:49:24 AM

5. I was referring to this article in the Montreal Gazette. http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=baa9f5c3-43cb-4e1c-89c2-a469f88062c6

Posted by: James | Oct 26, 2005 12:17:42 PM

6. Well there you go, whats good for the goose...
    U go girl!

Posted by: ian | Oct 26, 2005 12:47:11 PM

7. Kudos to her!!!

Posted by: Roy | Oct 26, 2005 12:56:19 PM

8. Actually, guys, guys. STOP IT.

It was this SAME woman who transferred to Texas Tech from Texas many years ago because she told the local press that there were "many Lesbians on Jody Conradt's teams."

She was self-loathing homophobe before coming out now.

R-

Posted by: Me is the Ridor | Oct 26, 2005 2:08:55 PM

9. Which makes her coming out even better. It lets people know that there is a lot more than ignorance coming out of homophobia then we all think.

Posted by: Damon | Oct 26, 2005 4:15:07 PM

10. Ridor... shouldn't we be celebrating that she's seen the light? Kill the fatted calf, and all that? I hope every self-loathing homophobe will realize the error of their ways and join their rightful family, and I will cheer them on when they do.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 26, 2005 4:17:56 PM

11. I hope that is the case, Glenn. But they should know that not all of us would embrace them after what they did to us occasionally.

Ahh.

R-

Posted by: Me is the Ridor | Oct 27, 2005 1:38:20 AM

12. Good for her, but I'm sorry, to paraphrase Bogey in Casablanca, "this doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this world". A lot of people--including a lot of gay men--think all female athletes are lesbians anyway, so I don't really see how this is very earth shattering, more of a "well, DUH" kind of thing. When Eli Manning or LeBron James or Albert Pujols comes out while they're playing (no, I'm not saying they're gay, just picking random guys who are stars in their sports), THAT will be big news.

But, again, good for her. Too bad I find women's basketball so effing boring.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Oct 27, 2005 2:03:19 AM

13. Sorry to burst your stereotypical bubble, Henry, but the truth is Ms. Swoopes and her baby were among those trotted out for media events repeatedly at the launch of the WNBA to try to quash the lezzie-athelete connection. In other words, she was one of the many (supposedly) het players that played part in the league's attempt to "straighten up" to draw more fans, so I find her announcement that much more wonderful. (And surprising--the campaign worked on me, too, I'm sorry to report.)

And as for women's basketball being boring, I couldn't agree less--but then, I'm a lesbian, so am required by law to love all women's sports....right?

But golf--please don't make me like women's golf!

Posted by: Ann Podolske | Oct 30, 2005 5:16:32 PM

14. im a bball playa and sheryl was my role model butttttttttt.................... shes not anymore thats just nasty sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy

Posted by: tweetie | Nov 1, 2005 9:26:56 PM

15. Im in shock ive always loved sherly swoopes and still do girl keep ur head up cause u have have changed the game and u are still my favorite player. the way i see it is thats u are expressing ur self as a person and u are also a very strong women for letting others know. much love so everyone who is thinking negative ur not a real fan of sherly swoopes.
    stephanie from mftexas

Posted by: Stephanie Banks | Nov 2, 2005 1:17:12 AM

16. thats good for sheryl to come out but what about her kid!!!!! i feel sorry for the kid! that poor kid! all of you homosexuals are tearing this world apart!HOMOSEXUALITY will be the one thing that destroys this world! read your bibles! and if you don't believe me look at the mighty romans!

Posted by: bigred | Nov 2, 2005 10:58:57 AM

17. BigRed is amusing character.

R-

Posted by: Me is the Ridor | Nov 2, 2005 12:06:59 PM

18. just would like to know what her team mates think.

Posted by: ron | Nov 2, 2005 12:37:44 PM

19. swoops gots hoops no matter what her love life might be!!

Posted by: coutney | Nov 2, 2005 12:59:51 PM

20. Big Red is right in his thinking. I am not a homophobe as I have friends who are gay, and I would tell Ms. Swoopes the same thing I tell my friends; God will forgive her just like everyone else. Homosexuality is a sin no different than murder, lying, stealing, cheating, etc... The bible states that all have sinned and sins are not catagorized from worst to least. A sin is a sin.
    Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of homosexuality (not violence or cruelty).

Posted by: s wilson | Nov 2, 2005 1:07:55 PM

21. Being a lesbian I say BRAVO to her for being able to step up and admit who she is. I agree a sin is a sin but who are we to judge and were any of us put on this earth to judge? I THINK NOT! We all are suppose to live our lives the best that we can and embrace others no matter what their preferences are. I don't ask who you have in your bedroom so what should it matter to you who is in mine? Props to any athlete that want to stand up and admit who they are...to everyone else becareful what you say about others...you never know when you have one of us among your loved ones.

Posted by: a henson | Nov 2, 2005 1:24:20 PM

22. In reference to BIGRED's comment. If you are one of those people who take the bible literary then you should have realized that no where in any part of the Bible does it prohibit lesbians. I believe it does say something about men not sleeping with men in Leviticus. And you are using the same book that people used to condone slavery and adultery to get your point across. So i suggest that YOU read your bible, and let GOD be the judge of all of us.
    Tavia

Posted by: Lez | Nov 2, 2005 6:07:44 PM

23. We are all suppose to live our lives the best that we can and embrace others, but that won't get anyone to heaven, gay or straight! Listen, God loves you whether you are gay or not. We shouldn't hate or judge others because they may be different. Back in the Old Testament times, "men not sleeping with men" is referring to everyone on earth. Back then, it was common to say, "man cannot live by bread alone", meaning all humans. I do not condone slavery or adultery, nor have I ever. As far as slavery, again, cultures were different back in the bible days. We have to be careful not to take verses from the bible out of context. Many people are doing this and if they read in Revelation, there is a warning for those who twist the scripture to conform to there own worldly pleasures.
    One thing I do not do is scrutinize the Lord and Christians need to pay more attention to the New Testament, which includes the plan of salvation. The Old Testament included "The Laws of Moses", which God gave to Moses again, back when times were somewhat different.
    I am not and will not judge you or anyone and I can accept you as you are. I have two cousins that are gay, and three friends I work with and we talk openly about all of this.
    Yes, we should let God do the judging, and he will in His time. But on the day that happens, it will be too late for those who have not accepted His Son as their Savior.

Posted by: s wilson | Nov 3, 2005 8:10:25 AM

24. So Ms. Wilson what you are telling me is...I haven't accepted God as my savior because I am gay? Sorry to tell you that I was brought up in a pentecostal home by my father and mother. My father was actually a pentecostal minister and at the age of 10 I was baptized. At age 10 I gave my life to the Lord. We are suppose to serve an all loving God and an all forgiving one right? Well if he feels that the person that makes me happy in my life is a sin then that doesn't show me all loving. Why can't those like you leave well enough alone and quit trying to save the world. If judgement day comes and we have to answer for whatever then well we will do just that. We don't need other "christians" condoning us for what we do in our lives. You people are suppose to be "christians" then act like it and stop passing judgement on those around you.

Posted by: a henson | Nov 3, 2005 9:17:30 AM

25. Because God commands us to spread the word. He didn't say, "spread the word until someone is offended by it".
    And no, I am not saying that you haven't accepted the Lord because you are gay. Being gay will not keep someone out of heaven. Not accepting Christ is the only thing that will keep us out of heaven; Refusing to accept Christ is the only sin God will not forgive.

Being "a loving God" doesn't mean letting someone do anything they want as long as their happy.
    God deals with us the same way that we deal with our children. If we let our kids do as they please just so they will be happy, they will go astray and grab at the first shiny thing with ribbons they see. No, God wants us all to be happy, but we have to live for Him and obey Him. If we don't, one has to wonder if he is really saved.
    God gives us a choice of which path we take.
    And, again, I am not passing judgement. I just go by God's word. The word He commands us to spread throughout the world. The bible says we should judge ourselves so that we will be ready on judgement day.

I'll leave you with two verses:
    This of course applies to women as well as men.

Leviticus 18:22
    22 " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Leviticus 20:13
    13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Posted by: s wilson | Nov 3, 2005 3:23:53 PM