Star Trek’s George Takei Comes Out

TakeiAnd mainstream news outlets dig up the gayest possible 8-year-old AP photo (left) they can find to make the point.

Takei, who played Mr. Sulu on the long-running series, tells Frontiers Magazine: You know, it’s not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It’s more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen. And then some doors are open and light comes in, and there are skylights and it widens. Brad’s my partner, we’ve been together for 18 years. So, I’ve been ‘open,’ but I have not talked to the press. In that sense, maybe that’s another opening of the corridor there.

Takei2He says joining L.A. running club Front Runners helped him come out as well: “And at a bar, you see a paper, and you see a gay running club. ‘Oh, I’ll show up,’ you think. People would see me and they were kind of astounded, but I ran with them, they saw that I’m George, not Sulu. So your frame of reference, your community broadens. And as I said, that corridor that was narrow becomes wider and brighter. And you start realizing that this is ‘normal.’ For me. There’s a lot of talk of normality. Equus (Takei is starring in a Los Angeles production) talks about this, too. The large popular normality is that rigid, constrained normality. But there’s another natural normality. And you come to realize, ‘This is who I am. And by gum, I’m not going to let it be a constraint!’

Passion Play [frontiers magazine]

Comments

1. says

The only thing that irks me about stars coming out of the closet is that they always do it long after it’s stopped mattering. He’s not really a family name anymore, he has no real influence, it won’t make a difference.

Good for him, I say. I just wish he’d done this 30 years ago.

2. Donald says

Come on Dave. People come out on their own schedule when their comfort level is good. Don’t be critical of him. Celebrate the fact that he being true to himself and he is joinng many of us in the bright sunshine of outness.

3. says

C’mon, Dave. He should have come out 30 years ago? Maybe if “Star Trek” were just premiering now, and he was in his youth, I might see your point, but in the early to late 60s? Get real.

4. says

5. says

Sorry – ‘bitch-slapped’.

Waitaminute. Where’s The Kirk himself in this scenario? What’s Bill Shatner waiting for to come out, anyway? We all remember how Yeoman Janice Rand couldn’t get anything off him, no matter how often she heaved her ageing breasts in the direction of the captain’s chair.

Also: Bill. You’ve spent your life as an acknowledged Canadian. Can a declaration of gayness be so much more embarrassing?

6. Jay Croce says

In spite of being redundant…

We knew about this 25 years ago. It was never much of a secret.

I can’t see the point in this late-blooming urge to announce what everyone already knew. He must have a book coming out. Too bad he couldn’t set an example, back when he was in a position to influence people, and we needed his help.

7. HisHolynessDPope says

“We knew about this 25 years ago. It was never much of a secret.”

‘We’ are not the straight world… 75-85% of the world’s population is straight.

“I can’t see the point in this late-blooming urge to announce what everyone already knew.”

Think of all those Trekies (sp) who didn’t know this and it will impress them in a positive manner, IF the press handles it correctly.

“Too bad he couldn’t set an example, back when he was in a position to influence people, and we needed his help.”

Yeah… like in 1965 when he’d be dead meat?

“…and we needed his help.”

And we need EVERYONE’S help right NOW… unless you’ve forgotten we need VOTES to WIN elections… unless you rule as a dictator?

8. says