Film and TV

BigGayDeal.com
« | Main | »

11/07/2005

Adventures in Plagiarism: The Dead Love Jazz Hands

Last night during my regularly scheduled programming I caught a promo for NBC's Medium which contained a blatant rip-off of the opening sequence from Six Feet Under.

Hands1

Hands2

Both presumably depict the fists of corpses unclasping as they travel to the edges of the screen, their pallid "jazz hands" splayed to reveal on-screen text in a sort of danse macabre for the boob tube set.

Comments

1. i think both of them are a rip off of michelangelo's sistine chapel mural of god and adam

Posted by: JS | Nov 7, 2005 1:52:17 PM

2. Six Feet Under's opening credits has indeed been very influential. None perhaps has imitated the seris more than the opening for "Gray's Anatomy," which features stylized images of bodies (these patients, not corpses) and medical equipment that's a dead ringer for Six Feet's version.

Posted by: brenner | Nov 7, 2005 2:09:23 PM

3. I love Medium! Jake Weber is dreamy! I just wish for once he'd roll out of bed in a pair of tighty-whiteys instead of boxers...

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 7, 2005 2:52:02 PM

4. Ah, Brenner. You beat me to it.

I was just going to say - The opening sequence on Grey's Anatomy opening, tho not blatantly stealing any specific image from Six Feet Under, is bit more offensive to me as a die hard fan of SFU because the ENTIRE sequence is basically a rip off. Kinda how I used to write my essays from encyclopedia but with my own words. To my shock, I later learned that that was STILL plagarism.

Posted by: thatmattdude | Nov 7, 2005 4:24:00 PM

5. If you think about it, Six Feet Under stole it from Beverly Hill 90210.

Posted by: Silver | Nov 7, 2005 7:37:39 PM

6. I was specifically referring to the hand sequence.

Posted by: Silver | Nov 7, 2005 7:39:15 PM

7. I never thought of the hands at the beginning of SFU as being those of two corpses. I always imagined it as representing the moment of letting go between the living and the dead.

Posted by: GM | Nov 8, 2005 12:41:49 PM

8. I don't think it's fair to call it a "blatant-ripoff" or plagiarism. The two hands that don't quite touch is a very archetypal image as old as time and can be found the world over. JS provides us with an excellent example. It's not the first example, for sure, but the Sisteen Chapel is probably the most famous.

Well, until Six Feet Under anyway. ;-)

Posted by: sam | Nov 8, 2005 8:23:52 PM

9. i noticed that. what a ripoff!

Posted by: markus | Nov 12, 2005 12:07:20 PM