Music

BigGayDeal.com

Report: Busta Rhymes Hates Faggots

Busta_rhymes_1An eyewitness reported to Page Six about a few homophobic Winter Music Conference moments between rapper Busta Rhymes and a fan at the 11th Street Diner in South Beach, which was "packed with transvestites, gay men and drag queens." Aside from the fact that drag queens and transvestites are one and the same, most of the drag queens I know would take an eye from someone talking like this in the same room. Here's the account of what happened when an "effeminate" man approached the rapper:

"This became evident when a young gay guy came up behind Busta and tapped him on the shoulder to congratulate the rapper on his recent comeback. Before the guy could even mutter a word, Busta turned around and repeatedly screamed, 'Why the [bleep] you touchin' me, man? Get the [bleep] away from me' . . . his two huge bodyguards then caused an even larger scene by pushing the kid away . . . Busta quietly whispered to his bodyguards, 'I hate [bleeping] faggots, man.'"

Related
Kanye West Revisits Homophobia [tr]

Comments

1. Not to quibble -- OK, I'm quibbling, sue me -- but I don't think "transvestite" and "drag queen" are synonymous. To me, a transvestite is someone (male or female) for whom cross-dressing is an expression of gender identity, whereas a "drag queen" is (1) necessarily a man and (2) someone who cross-dresses as a performance.

None of which, of course, changes the fact that Busta is an asshole. Maybe Kanye can give him some sensitivity training.

Posted by: Glenn | Mar 29, 2006 9:05:54 AM

2. Exhibit X in the Case of When B-List Celebrities Get Relegated to C-and-below-List. The Velvet Mafia has spoken, Busta.

Posted by: nyc | Mar 29, 2006 9:09:28 AM

3. Hypocrisy at work in our glorious country: If, say, George Clooney had publicly said he hated "n*ggers," he would be villified.

Posted by: jeff | Mar 29, 2006 9:16:12 AM

4. I'm not surprised at all.Hip hop artists are nothing more than closet cases waiting to happen.And Busta is way too ugly to be worried about gay men's attention.

Posted by: judemillsy | Mar 29, 2006 9:23:36 AM

5. Sounds bogus, or greatly exaggerated. "Busta *quietly whispered* to his bodyguards, 'I hate [bleeping] faggots, man'". But somehow "eyewitness" Thomas Barker heard him? Busta doesn't like someone touching him on the shoulder, but the eyewitness somehow was close enough to hear a whisper? This IS the NY Post we're talking about people, take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: Ian | Mar 29, 2006 9:27:49 AM

6. Yawn. Aging thug with minimal talent. A "comeback"? I think not.

Buh bye, "Busta". Get a real name.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 29, 2006 9:28:29 AM

7. Um... aside from the fact that I consider ALL rap artists to be talentless hacks (and that Lenny Kravitz look-alike, Kanye West included)... why did he attend the function in a gay establishment in the first place if he "hates faggots"? Why not go some place that would appreciate such as sofisticated urban performer, like Alabama or South Carolina.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 29, 2006 9:35:50 AM

8. Actually, drag queens and transvestites are completely different by definition. Transvestites are straight men who dress in women's clothing for sexual fetish.

Posted by: Britt | Mar 29, 2006 10:02:18 AM

9. say it aint so, busta!

Posted by: elliott | Mar 29, 2006 10:08:54 AM

10. I know a couple of others have chimed in about the difference between a transvestite and a drag queen, but let me just chime in that GLAAD publishes a Media Reference Guide with proper terminology for journalists. Writers for the AP, Reuters, New York Times, etc. use this guide. It can be found online at:

Posted by: EricW | Mar 29, 2006 10:10:31 AM

11. It is a story in the New York Post. That makes me suspect.

peace

Posted by: James | Mar 29, 2006 10:11:24 AM

12. Guess what, Busta? Most of us really don't care for talentless thugs like you who pollute the airwaves with your hate speech. Rap is just noise - and Busta's rap is pretty damn crappy.

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested that Busta avoid locations where there is a large gay presence. I think that he'd be much better off hanging out in South Carolina, Alabama or Mississippi where he could "hang" with his fellow "peeps" who love to hate.

Posted by: Jonathon | Mar 29, 2006 10:12:04 AM

13. "Transvestites are straight men who dress in women's clothing for sexual fetish."

That said, I doubt there were many straight men in women's clothing at the 11th street diner.

Posted by: busta | Mar 29, 2006 10:31:06 AM

14. Speaking of straight men in women's clothing, what was up with the housedress Busta was wearing that year on the Grammys with Martha Stewart, huh? (Or maybe it was MTV VMAs). And he had the Princess Leia/afro-puff look going on too that night. So he was looking pretty gay himself. I think we need to get that pic up on the front page, Andy.

And oh, maybe this outburst happened as a result of something he may have done in the phase of hip-hop's brief flirtation with ecstasy, which made rap music sound a bit housey for a second. Maybe he's still overcompensating.

Posted by: brian nyc | Mar 29, 2006 10:55:44 AM

15. Andy,

This is a waste of your time.
    ~

Posted by: Gilli | Mar 29, 2006 11:08:59 AM

16. Busta who?never heard the name befor and don"t expect to ever hear it again.

Posted by: tom in Canada | Mar 29, 2006 11:43:20 AM

17. "Aside from the fact that drag queens and transvestites are one and the same"

Eddie Izzard would cut you for that remark. Bit of a crobar separation there.

Posted by: Robbie | Mar 29, 2006 12:00:55 PM

18. Well, you might think the distinction between transvestite and drag queen is merely a quibble, but it is important in this instance, cause there's several(presumably) straight black actors who don the dress for movie success:
    Big Mama,
    Big Mama2
    White Chicks
    Nutty Professor
    Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion

Just sayin'

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Mar 29, 2006 12:19:22 PM

19. Sounds like 'Busta' will be coming out eventually.. but until then Damien Hirst could do an f-tank sculpture of Mr. Rhymes and call it 'the physical impossibility of intelligence in the mind of someone stupid'..

Posted by: moptopmouse john-eric | Mar 29, 2006 12:27:20 PM

20. One must confess--this is the thinnest of stories. Surprise negro rapper hates fags.
    I hate rap. I hate the Escalades they all drive. I hate the jewelry, the lack of talent, the stunningly stupid lyrics that seem to be about 1) how unfair it is to be a negro in america 2) how my woman, or my bitch is on this planet for my abuse 3) i got a big cock and know how to use it...but those Escalades keep on shipping.
    And..can someone explain how fags get to be lumped with drag queen and transvestites, or transgendered for that matter? Honestly, what do I have in common? I look terrible in a dress, I have no inclination to dress in women's clothing; I find drag queens, (unless they really sing) a terrific bore, (What a miserable holiday Halloween is) and transgendered, and I know a few, are frankly lovely people, but I have no desire for a vagina, or to remove my penis. I am serious, what do I have in common?

Posted by: Don | Mar 29, 2006 12:32:38 PM

21. Poor RapperBoy, hiding his desire to get fucked in the ass by getting big muscles and insulting gays...

Posted by: Chev | Mar 29, 2006 12:42:19 PM

22. Don, your use of the outdated and, to many, derogatory term "negro" probably negates any points made in your first paragraph.

And your second paragraph, despite your crude wording, is an interesting question. Maybe someone can explain?

Posted by: jon luddite | Mar 29, 2006 12:55:27 PM

23. Dude... "negro"? Are you serious? Gross.

That said, I agree that gays and lesbians have little in common with transgendered people. It's a completely different gig, and a very tough one at that. I really think it's much easier to be gay in this world than it is to be transgendered. That's a tough row to hoe. But almost always, when I speak with transgendered people, I'm impressed by the depth of self-knowledge and introspection and understandng of the human condition. I would imagine that those traits are necessary to be successful and well-adjusted in the trans life... it's a very interesting subculture.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 29, 2006 1:20:10 PM

24. Don,

What you, as a gay man, have in common with drag queens, transvestites, and transgendered people is that you all vary from what our society considers the only acceptable "categories" of sex, gender, and sexual orientation, i.e., 100% male or female and 100% heterosexual. As a gay man myself, I obviously have it easier than transgendered folks, but I still experience ostracism from a culture that only regards two very discrete points on the "gender" and "orientation" scales (male/hetero, female/hetero) as "normal" and "natural." Hundreds of Native American and other indigenous cultures view gender identity and sexual orientation as an infinite number of points along a continuum (or, more accurately, within a circle) - points that are unique to individuals, and that often change during a person's lifetime. Modern, "'civilized" culture is very hung up on organizing all sorts of things into distinct categories, which is useful in many respects but also tends to maintain the illusion of "separateness" that is responsible for so much conflict and suffering.

Posted by: JOE 2 | Mar 29, 2006 1:48:35 PM

25. Hey, Busta, I hate uneducated, no-talent rappers!

Posted by: Dave | Mar 29, 2006 2:14:04 PM