Sao Paulo Pride Attracts 2.5 Million

Sao_pualo

Two and a half million people partied in the streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil over the weekend to mark Gay Pride. Made in Brazil has a wrap-up of what has become the largest gay event in the world.

A few more reports from some of the many Pride events that went on this weekend:

road.jpg HAMILTON, CANADA: gay pride marchers ridiculed by football fans.
road.jpg LOUISVILLE, KY: Gay Community Shows its Pride.
road.jpg PITTSBURGH, PA: Attendance Soars at Gay Pride Fest.
road.jpg TURIN, ITALY: Cabinet Minister’s participation causes uproar.
road.jpg ALLENTOWN, PA: Gay Pride parade receives broad support.

Comments

1. JT says

What does wearing short shorts have to do with gay pride?

Seriously, I love beautiful men. I just find it a bit much to take when we scream for equality yet highlight the hedonistic aspects of gay culture at most of our Pride parades.

2. Patrick says

I don’t even bother going to the parades. Puerto Rican bar boys wearing go-go shorts doesn’t inspire anything more than a semi-hard boner. Can get that at a night club (and use it).

The St. Patrick’s Day parade is more representative of who I am. Gay Pride is republican/conservative media outlet weet dream.

3. Rad says

I have to agree. Fine, call it “Mardi Gras” or “Carnivale” but I shiver when I hear “Gay Pride” affiliated with gyrating go-go boys and prattling drag queens. Yes, it’s hot and entertaining. The Providence parade on Saturday was no exception. But it certainly does not represent who I am.

I have to, again, give cudos to NYC for the anti-hate crime MARCH. Yes, drag was there, a few shirtless boys, but for the most part, it was not a party, but a march in solidarity against this trend that seems to be wrapping hatred inside a veil of Christiandom so it can be swallowed by the masses.

My question is; if there are 2.5 million people willing to come out and support Gay Pride in Brazil, why does the local government still drag it’s heels when there is a definitive hate crime committed?

I watched the Providence Pride events this weekend (I ran one of the booths). How wide the community has splintered, even here in New England. If you don’t fit into the [fill in the blank] look, you’re not given a second thought. I had the wonderful opportunity to share my time at Pride this weekend with people who were part of the Mataschine Society and were at Stonewall… and we gazed at this new generation of gays… smug and complacient, unaware and ignorant of the blood that was spilled on the field where they danced, together in their little tribes.

Perhaps the igorance in volume will prove blissful? That the sheer numbers of new gays will inadvertantly punch the right block on a ballot to sway society back onto a path of normalcy? I can only dream.
    Rad

4. Mark says

I’m shagrined to say that I agree with all three of the above…

I remember reading a comment on this blog awhile back by a young gay man who said it didn’t matter anymore, being gay is just fine and normal.

I didn’t comment at the time but must say to him now (and I hope he reads this) that the reason for the Hate March in New York is WHY IT STILL MATTERS.

I’ll be going to our Pride festivities this week (Toronto) and parade on Sunday, to oogle, to drink, to party, etc., but I will always be cognizant of who, what, when, where and WHY!

That said, here’s wishing you a happy Pride, however you choose too!

5. Hasan says

Also have to say i agree with everyone here.
    Did anyone ever read that Onion article “Gay Pride Parade sets back mainstream acceptance of gays by 50 years”?

6. Toby says

I agree with all of the comments listed above.

There is a time and place for putting on a party. I don’t think a Gay Pride Parade is meant to be a promotion for Splash Bar’s dick dancers. Could any of you bring your family to this Parade and not worry about them being shocked by the hedonistic sexual element?

We’ve gained so many advantages over those who came before us, in large part because of their fight (and the health education available before many of us became sexually active in the 90’s). However, by and large, I sense complacency within the community. Because we’ve been able to integrate (to a greater degree), gay men think the fight is over.

We have a LONG ROAD AHEAD in getting to the place where our Civil Rights are equal to our hetrosexual counterparts.

7. Alfredo says

LGBT Pride is about diversity, diversity to dance, wear, kiss as we feel to. It is so weird to see comments asking for… not being diverse. But well, millions of us love Pride marches, as the more than 100 000 that marched in Mexico City last Saturday:

And yes we did have go go dancers and drag queens, but also our mothers and fathers and groups of different universities. And we love it that way, i mean, diverse…

8. Billy says

I respect diversity, just don’t need to extra helping of “in your face” sex a Gay Pride events. Leave it for the club events.

I think you can have an interesting event without having my mother look at someone’s dick hanging out of his shorts (I myself wouldn’t mind seeing such a thing).

9. Giovanni says

Don’t worry guys the fourth of July is just around the corner – you, mom, dad, Wally and the Beaver can all tastefully march down main sreet usa without fear of moral molestation.

10. Scott says

I’d much rather attend a 4th of July celebration than go anywhere near what one of these “pride” celebrations has become. If we’re supposed to be celebrating diversity at these things, why does every single person in the pix from this (or any other pride event) look identical and dress identically?

11. Rob says

24Play, you disgust me. Hate guys who use the term “ladies” when speaking to other guys. What’s that about? Why is it so hard for gay men to retain their masculine sensibilities when communicating with the world (or each other)? You fall into the very stereotype that everyone has about gays being “BIG Queens.”

On the topic of gay pride, it’s obvious we have a cross section of opinions here. Overall, I think any event that brings people together is a good event. My only concern is the fact that all the truly hard working folks (HRC, ESPA and many other worthwhile organizations) tend to get a back seat to news coverage due to the fact that the “sensationalist” elements (Go-go boys, bare-breasted dykes on bikes, leather men in buttless chaps, etc..) make for better news.