Rupert Murdoch on Gay Marriage

MurdochIn a profile in The Independent, twice-divorced Rupert Murdoch says that gay marriage may lead to the end of everything:

“I believe it is wrong. I’m considered homophobic and crazy about these things and old fashioned. But I think that the family – father, mother, children – is fundamental to our civilisation.”

So gay marriage will somehow destroy the fabric of our precious civilization? Wasn’t that once said about interracial marriage?

(via gawker)

Comments

1. LetoNYC says

So, it was gay marriage that caused him to abandon his longtime marriage in favor of his new wife. At least now we know he’s not to blame. What a hypocrit!

2. Jonathon says

Wanna know the real threat to heterosexual marriages? D-I-V-O-R-C-E, not G-A-Y-S.

I am sick and tired of these serial monogamists, usually on their third or fourth marriage, railing about how same-sex marriage will be the end of civilization. Quite frankly, I wish that we were that powerful! But the ~10% of us who are gay simply don’t have the leverage to have such a significant effect on society. In actuality, gays are supporting and strengthening marriage by campaigning to have our right to marry the partner of our choice recognized by the government.

3. dc-20008 says

and exactly how, Rupert you super genius, does gay marriage affect anything?

Approx. 1/3 of all school age children in the US are raised in single-parent households. Am I missing something here??? What family is he talking about???

4. 24play says

If there was any surprise when Rupey’s tattooed c*cksucking son married the model and started pumping out rugrats, I guess everything’s crystal clear now.

5. Brian says

At what point did we, as gay people, cease to be part of the traditional family unit? When we stopped cowering in the closet like some little broke-down bitch? I have a mom, a dad, a sister, and a brother-in-law. Sounds pretty traditional to me. So quit blathering on about how “the family is fundamental to our civilization”. We are a PART of that family, always have been, and always will be.

6. Kyle Childress says

Let’s not forget that these folks, Murdoch included, know very well that we are no threat to marriage and/or the family. They hate fags. It’s simple as that. The save-marriage-and-the-family crap is just that–crap used as a marketing tool to sell their bigotry; they can’t come out and simply say “We hate fags,” so they have to make up something that sounds real enough, but is at the same time too nebulous to disprove.

If we were a real threat to marriage and family, there would be other folks expressing concern about it. As it is, the only folks that trot out this lie are the same folks that have been against each and every gay-positive piece of legislation that has ever been suggested.

I guess it is necessary to argue the point that were are in fact no threat to anyone’s marriage or family, but keep in mind that they don’t even believe what they are saying.

7. brian says

Rupert Murdoch is a very interesting character. American via Austrailia and England.Cozy with our FCC.Head of FOX and the NY POST.This man is either incredibly lucky or unbelieveably influential.Other than his bank account on what basis is his opinion worth anyone’s interest?

8. SG says

gawker said it best:

“The twice-divorced Murdoch, whose three wives have borne him a total of six children, is responsible for such other contributions to our civilization as “Temptation Island,” “The Littlest Groom,” and “Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy.””

9. Tread says

Yet another Republican fucktard I’d like to see go the way of Jim West.

And when he goes, I hope he’s a drooling imbecile (not that he’s not that far way from that already).

10. Juju says

Who gives a rat’s ass what Murdoch thinks?

He simply needs to run his companies that provide services for which we pay.

His existence has no other bearing on life as we know it.

And when he’s gone, someone else will run the companies.

11. Zeke says

JUJU, I really wish your statement was true. Sadly it’s not. We’re not talking about some “here today, gone tomorrow” Hollywood celebrity, who no one takes seriously here. We’re talking about a media mogul with his hand on the pulse of information that is disseminated to hundreds of millions of people in the US and abroad DAILY. Downplaying his power and influence may make people feel better but it is foolish and delusional. We ignore him at our own peril.

We have to take people like Murdoch very seriously. It’s critical that we counter their lies and challenge their misinformation at every turn. We may not have the media megaphone that Murdoch has, but we have something even more powerful; one on one relationships with friends, family and co-workers. There is greater power of persuasion through interpersonal relationships than Fox, The New York Post and MySpace combined. Unfortunately, as far as gay issues are concerned, it is almost completely ineffectual from the closet.

12. zinc alloy says

And once again, after gushing about the importance of a traditional family, no one mentions banning DIVORCE. And why not? Because most of them have been divorced.

13. patrick nyc says

Does anyone really beleive that she would marry that butt ugly prick if he didn’t have his wallet? And what is up with his sons? The cute bald one looks like fag material to me.

14. Cory says

What upsets me more are the vapid little ninnies that use Myspace and defend him. As a gay man, I’m certainly not going to patron a website any more that puts advertising dollars into this douche bags pockets helping further his political cause in making me a second class citizen. Any gay man should realize this and stop being so god damned indifferent and careless. Simple logic. Rupert Murdoch uses his money to fund right wing political causes. As Myspace increases in size and popularity through members so does the amount of money Myspace can charge for advertising thus putting more money in this f*#k’s pockets. In the end, we’re only making the nooses to hang ourselves with and f&%K all I’ve seen Myspace on everything now: TV ads, at the end of movie trailers in theatres listing a movie’s “Myspace” page, musicians, celebrities. Rupert Murdoch has bought himself a $580 million dollar cash cow, and we’re eating a lot of beef…

15. Cory says

Stand Zeke, you have the floor! I couldn’t agree more. A few days ago I posted a bulletin on Myspace about all of this, stating the exact same thing. You wouldn’t believe how many gay men actually defended his with backwards logic, saying such things as “why should I care”, “how does it affect me?”, “should I not frequent Myspace because it’s owned by someone straight? that’s wrong” and all this ridiculous non-sense. In the end, it really sealed a notion I always hated to awknowledge: people are dumb. As the Republikkklans put it: keep the entertained, mindless, tired and dumb…