Nature

BREAKING: Pluto Voted Out of Planetary Alliance

PlutoThis morning I posted that astronomers were to vote on the fate of Pluto's "planet" status. Well, they voted and Pluto has lost its status as a planet:

"About 2,500 experts were in Prague for the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) general assembly. Astronomers rejected a proposal that would have retained Pluto as a planet and brought three other objects into the cosmic club. Pluto was discovered in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Arizona. The vote effectively means the ninth planet will now be airbrushed out of school and university textbooks."

Mother will no longer serve us nine pizzas. She will now simply serve us noodles.

Comments

1. If Pluto were part of the Anglican Communion, one could say that it demonstrated a manner of life that presented a challenge to the rest of the Solar System.

I suspect that an attack by Plutonians is imminent. Somebody alert Mickey.

I'm finished now.

Posted by: KJ | Aug 24, 2006 10:15:13 AM

2. Damn, that narrows the field for the "Miss Universe" pagent.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 24, 2006 10:19:37 AM

3. That is weird. What is it? Just a star?

Posted by: Roy | Aug 24, 2006 10:22:16 AM

4. They don't know, Roy, but every once in a while, it winks at us.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 24, 2006 10:40:05 AM

5. Watch out Goofy and Dumbo, their comin' after you next!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 24, 2006 10:41:13 AM

6. Frankly I think it's high time that Pluto gets thrown out.

Any heavenly body that can't even qualify a woman for the Miss Universe pageant certainly doesn't deserve to be called a planet.

One down, seven more to go!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 24, 2006 10:45:45 AM

7. Their new definition of a planet is a bit arbitrary for science. Somehow, this has to do with grant money more than science.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 24, 2006 10:48:25 AM

8. wow. seven comments on this post and no one has cracked any jokes about Uranus. I am disappointed in all of you.

Posted by: mp | Aug 24, 2006 11:10:57 AM

9. That's because Uranus is out of this world.

Posted by: GaYToR | Aug 24, 2006 12:26:13 PM

10. Uranus: The Gay Planet. I understand they will slowly strip it of it's planetary rights until eventually, they can meet in private and declare it unfit to be a planet, too, then ejected into the cosmos like so much other rhetorical flotsom.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 24, 2006 1:17:18 PM

11. I just heard that the real reson for dropping Pluto was to make room in the black hole for Star Jones. She is a large round object that orbits the sun after all.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 24, 2006 1:35:38 PM

12. MP, you're so right. What's wrong with us. Ok, here goes...

Now that they've f*cked Pluto, is there any doubt that Uranus will be next?

Of course Focus on the Anus will never let that happen!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 24, 2006 1:45:40 PM

13. Being an astronomy nut, I was going to post something serious. But I guess I'll just have to geek out with other geeks instead. Continue Towleroading ...

Posted by: Rob | Aug 24, 2006 3:12:15 PM

14. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

What does that mean for Sailor Pluto?!

The Sailor Moon Trilogy just won't be the same anymore.

My heart is broken.

Posted by: Steven | Aug 24, 2006 4:38:14 PM

15. That's funny Rob. Serious and the whole Pluto thing in the same sentence. I saw a photo of the crowd at the convention, geek is an understatement. Like religion it is clear that this is all speculation. I know I don't know shit about it, at least I admit it though.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 24, 2006 4:42:06 PM

16. Oh don't worried ZEKE Uranus is to big to get f*cked......just kiddin

Posted by: abrancher | Aug 24, 2006 5:57:03 PM

17. so now it's just the PLanet formerly known as "Pluto"?

Posted by: Dan | Aug 24, 2006 6:17:50 PM

18. Rob makes me feel as if I've been naughty in science class. I am so ashamed.

Posted by: KJ | Aug 24, 2006 6:45:34 PM

19. Ok, probably too much infomation here, but leave it to Xena, the lesbian Warrior Princess to start up all this controversy!...

"But last year, Mike Brown, an astronomer at the California Institute of Technology, discovered a fly in the ointment - another celestial body larger than Pluto, with an orbit stretching beyond Neptune. The Hubble space telescope measured the object at about 1,490 miles in diameter - roughly 70 miles more than Pluto. While it is officially known as 2003 UB313, Professor Brown named the rock Xena, after the Warrior Princess television series, and claimed it as the 10th planet.

The discovery of Xena brought the crisis over Pluto, and the definition of the word "planet", to a head as it dawned on scientists that tens of other rocks hurtling around the sun could also qualify for the title.

The definition admits Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus, but excludes Pluto because it is not big enough to clear smaller bodies close to it. Pluto, along with Xena and Ceres, an asteroid that lies between Mars and Jupiter, are now officially dwarf planets."

Posted by: kyan | Aug 25, 2006 1:14:13 AM

20. What the hell are you talking about Steven?! There is no Sailor Pluto. :P

Posted by: Danny | Aug 25, 2006 3:15:00 AM

21. Damn those homophobes! Couldn't they just have left Pluto alone to go about its queer ways?

Posted by: TB888 | Aug 26, 2006 3:25:07 AM

22. I wish Astronomers would talk about the planet Nibiru coming this way. It's old ancient knowledge that it's getting closer and closer to planet Earth.

Posted by: Mark Julius | Dec 25, 2007 1:25:38 AM