California | Laguna Beach | Nightlife

Laguna Beach Boom Boom Room Saved

Boom_boom_room_1

The co-owners of Laguna Beach's historic Boom Boom Room and Coast Inn have come to an agreement with the property's new owner, Steven Udvar-Hazy. Hazy has offered them a new one-year lease, according to an email to supporters from Fred Karger, who led a petition drive to save the fabled nightclub.

The drive collected nearly 5,000 signatures from residents and visitors, which Karger says he plans to turn in to the Laguna Beach City Council in hopes that the 1920's property can continue to operate as the centerpiece of the town's gay nightlife, as it has since the 50's.

Previously
Update: Laguna's Boom Boom Room Rescue Efforts [tr]
Efforts Underway to Save Laguna's Boom Boom Room [tr]
Pitt and Clooney Buy Laguna Beach's Boom Boom Room — Not. [tr]

Comments

1. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 17, 2006 12:24:35 PM

2. You made my morning here at work in NYC!
    As I wrote back when the news was first posted, I have fond memories of the BBR from back in the late '70's when I was a meer twink fresh from the heartland.

Posted by: brett | Aug 17, 2006 12:30:58 PM

3. I think this is the same guy a branch of the national Air and Space Museum is named after:

Posted by: heh | Aug 17, 2006 12:49:16 PM

4. Just don't celebrate for too long: from a commercial leasting standpoint, any lease shorter than 5 years is considered pretty temporary.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 17, 2006 1:38:55 PM

5. Perhaps if the building still looked like it does in that vintage postcard, it might be worth saving. Unfortunately, the Boom and the Coast Inn have been hideously updated over the years and are now pretty skeevy. I've never seen more than a sprinkling of people in the Boom Boom Room when I'm there so I can't imagine business is that great. The gays have moved on, kids. The "let's save the Boom" folks are living in an economic fantasy land.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 17, 2006 1:50:34 PM

6. Last time I was at the Boom there were not that many people there after a day at the gay beach.

I wonder if they will get more support now that it's been saved and may still close later?

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 18, 2006 7:59:59 PM