Gay Marriage | James McGreevey | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Ex-Gov. McGreevey Wants to Marry; Issue Goes to Lawmakers

Following Wednesday's historic ruling by the New Jersey Supreme Court, the same-sex unions measure headed to the legislature, with some NJ Democrats saying they will push for full marriage rights. On the other hand, "Assemblyman Richard Merkt, R-Morris, vowed to have the justices impeached. 'Neither the framers of New Jersey's 1947 constitution, nor the voters who ratified it, ever remotely contemplated the possibility of same-sex marriage.'"

McgreeveyodonnellMeanwhile, former New Jersey governor James McGreevey, who has said in the past that his failure to push for gay marriage rights while in office was because of efforts to hide his own sexuality, praised the Court's decision and said that he would like to enter into a legally recognized union with his partner Mark O'Donnell.

"Marriage would offer the ability to bless our relationship in a committed way," McGreevey told the NYT. To the Newark Star-Ledger, he said: "I would obviously look forward to having our relationship recognized. It's a blessing to live in New Jersey...[The ruling is] so profoundly emotional and meaningful. It speaks to the value of marriage and the value of committed relationships, gay or straight. It's groundbreaking and it shows a great generosity of spirit...

And to the AP, he added: "I applaud the court's courage. I regret not having had the fortitude to embrace this right during my tenure as governor."

NJ Gay Marriage Issue Given to Lawmakers [washington post]
An ‘I Do’ From McGreevey? He Would. [nyt]

Comments

1. Ex-Gov. McCreepy is a typical politican. He is a proven serial adulterer and liar. He cheated before he will surely cheat again. He was forced to resign not because he was a "gay American" as he claimed but because he abused his office and endanged his constituents by putting his wholly unqualified fuckbuddy into a critical public safety position. He deserves continued condemnation from all upstanding gay Americans.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 26, 2006 2:42:12 PM

2. I second that.

Posted by: DC8 Stretch | Oct 26, 2006 2:45:58 PM

3. I never felt endangered by anything Governor McGreevey did. I feel threatened every day be GWB. McGreevey used poor judgement in his choices but I won't condemn him. He lives in my neighbourhood and the gay community of Plainfield have welcomed him.

Posted by: LiamOg | Oct 26, 2006 2:55:18 PM

4. Make that deserves condemnation from ALL americans, gay and straight. He regrets not having the fortitude? Try not having a spine or any balls.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 26, 2006 2:56:49 PM

5. I wonder if he'll invite his ex-wife.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 26, 2006 3:03:34 PM

6. McGreevy is a hypocritical piece of slime, i.e a politician. He used his gayness as subterfuge for his corruption while in office. "I am a gay American" Blech! And right away, the gay community called him brave and courageous and fell for it hook, line and stinker. Wonder what their reaction would have been if he was ugly?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 26, 2006 3:03:36 PM

7. "He is a proven serial adulterer and liar."--Rudy

Jesus, Rudy, I know you're a Republican, but can't you have even a little empathy? Were you never in the closet? Never once lied to anyone about being gay? If so, my hat's off to you, but most of us mortals had to struggle with the issue once or twice. I would certainly urge any gay man who felt he had to get married to realize there are alternatives, but I can't condemn someone merely because of that. When our relationships are recognized in this society as the equal of straights', then let's talk. But we're a long way from that, even in NJ.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 26, 2006 3:03:49 PM

8. Make that 4 for those who cannot stand MCgreasy. He only found the fortitude to come out after a newspaper found his boyfriend getting an inexplicable position in his administration. He's no role model for anyone - gay or straight. As a lifelong Democrat/liberal, he makes my blood boil.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 26, 2006 3:04:47 PM

9. I wonder if he labored this much when discussing his plans to marry each of his two wives: one of whom he isn't yet divorced from

I mean really, he sounds like he's laboring over every word instead of proudly proclaiming his love for, and desire to marry, his boyfriend.

I notice this discomfort in a lot of previously, opposite-sex, married gay men when talking about committing to their male partners.

I also notice that "ex-wife" is a term that carries more legitimacy than anything (other than husband) that a man can call the male love of his life, no matter how long they've been together.

My best friend calls his "ex" his kids' mother. He has a very good relationship with her but he realizes that the term "ex-wife" in our society puts his boyfriend in a secondary position of legitimacy. She completely understands and certainly takes no offense to being called their children's mother. His kids' mom is a wonderful person and is very close to him AND his husband.

Some people believe that words are words and we shouldn't read anything into them. I have always been of the opinion that words are powerful and their thoughtful use or careless misuse makes a difference.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 26, 2006 3:05:49 PM

10. Seriously, I don't think McGreevey is one to be speaking on the value of marriage.

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Oct 26, 2006 3:07:44 PM

11. Or Dina, for that matter. One ex wife, one not-quite-divorced-yet wife, and the new love of his life. My, my, my. And just how does the state law deal with the fact that the paramour's object of desire is an Australian? Doesn't he need to be a citizen of the U.S. to legally get hitched? Or working toward citizenship? What a can of worms.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 26, 2006 3:10:31 PM

12. Fizzie, I don't know where you're getting that from, but no, you don't have to be a US citizen to get married here.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 26, 2006 3:22:36 PM

13. I do not condemn McCreepy because he got married even though he is gay. I condemn him because he cheated on his wives. It does not matter to me that he cheated on his wives with other women or men. It's the cheating that deserves condemnation not the gender of the person with whom the adulterer is cheating. And I am fortunate. Coming out was never a problem for me but I relaize that it can be a very difficult process for others. I have always been who I am and never felt the need to announce anything so obvious as my sexual preference. I assume that the vast majority of people are sensate beings and have not had frontal lobotomies. But I repeat, I am very fortunate. My huge family of Hispanic Catholic cowboys has always accepted me the way I am. Hell, my Dad's a cattle rancher and told all his bud's that I "lettered" in ballet at Julliard! Moreover, I found the love of my life almost thirty years ago. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for him. Most of my gay brethren are not so well treated by their familes or by societey at large. Mistreatment, however, does not absolve us of moral behaviour. When we commit to someone we should honor that commitment regardless of gender. That is the way to build societal support for same-sex realtionships.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 26, 2006 3:28:38 PM

14. Hey Glen A lot of us may have "struggled" with who we are but we did not go out and marry two women to hide and sleep around with guys behind their backs.
    How Long has he known this guy for anyway? I just hope his man's money doesn't run out because McGreasey will be right behinf it. Before he talks about a third marriage he should divorce his current spouse.

Posted by: hephaestion | Oct 26, 2006 3:30:43 PM

15. Wow, we're never going to forgive the guy I guess. Well, maybe if he were murdered then we might show some sympathy...especially if were a hate crime.

Posted by: stevo | Oct 26, 2006 3:31:23 PM

16. "Well, maybe if he were murdered then we might show some sympathy...especially if were a hate crime."

Stevo, what the hell is wrong with you?

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Oct 26, 2006 3:36:29 PM

17. Its called sarcasm Anita. I just think its ridiculous that the gay community has no sympathy for someone who fully admits he made mistakes. I get tired of all the "holier than thou" gay activist crap.

Posted by: stevo | Oct 26, 2006 3:49:49 PM

18. McCreepy has never admitted his mistakes or taken responsibility for his actions. But for the threat of blackmail he would still be in the closet cheating on his (still legal) wife. He continues to try to justify his immoral behavior. One only deserves forgiveness if one acknowledges the infraction/sin/immoral behavior/ criminal conduct (call it what you will) then asks for forgiveness and makes amends. McCreepy has done none of this. Sympathy, like forgiveness, must be earned.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 26, 2006 3:56:03 PM

19. here! here! stevo.

Posted by: chrisnyc | Oct 26, 2006 3:58:23 PM

20. Stevo, I hope you have your murder victim costume ready for Andy's Halloween Conte$t!

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Oct 26, 2006 4:05:17 PM

21. I don't care for and do not respect McGreevey, because he doesn't deserve it. Ever since his "I am a gay American" speech, the gay community has largely treated him like some kind of heroic martyr or something. I personally think he's scum; a disrespectable walking cum-bucket. Had he not been outed, he'd still be cheating on his wife with men.

I also agree that the gay community likely wouldn't have welcomed him as much had he not been as attractive (like Jim West from Spokane - ew!).

That's just so smart of the gay community to put some promiscuous piece of shit on a pedestal. Find somebody worth worshipping!

Posted by: O.S. | Oct 26, 2006 4:09:44 PM

22. Thank you, Rudy, for the seminar in Alcoholics Anonymous 101.

And BTW, perhaps sympathy needs to be earned but basic civil rights do not.

I don't have to prove my commitment to monogamy to earn the right to marriage any more than Rosa Parks had to prove she'd improve the bus's gas mileage when she took her place in the front. To argue otherwise is to buy into the Radical Right's hypocritical bullshit.

Posted by: 24play | Oct 26, 2006 4:14:29 PM

23. Another one for the "McGreevey shouldn't be talking about marriage" camp. Ugh. For all the gays that work in PR, we really have a knack for putting our collective foot in our collective mouth.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 26, 2006 4:16:58 PM

24. "When we commit to someone we should honor that commitment regardless of gender." Gee, is October National Hogshit Month? Did you stand up in the middle of "Brokeback Mountain" and shake your Bible at the screen and scream at the rest of the audience for not doing the same? May we touch the hem of your schmata, Your Holiness?

Perhaps some posters above know enough more about McGreevey to justify their take-no-prisoners attitude in the same way I know more about Reichen than most and thus stun some with the intensity of my, shall we say, disbelief.

The most I do know about McGreevey is based on his Oprah interview and some print going off, but was surprised by both his willingness to plead guilty to all kinds of misjudgments, cowardice, and wronging of others in his life, and his eloquence on what people should be striving to be as he now clearly is.

While turned off by how often he mentions "God," I was immediately impressed by his partner's genuineness and thought, "he can't be too bad if a man like this loves him." Of course, that theory has proven false with some others I know, but I think he's contributing more positively than many to America's understanding of the cost of the closet they force most of us into, at least for awhile. I believe it still remains true that one out of five self-identified American gay men have been married.

As far as punishing him for "only coming out because he was forced to," you'd better build the cross wide enough to simultaneously crucify Lance, Jim Kolbe, George Michael, fill in the blank, too.

Posted by: Leland | Oct 26, 2006 4:21:10 PM

25. All I got to say is he's one to talk about "It speaks to the value of marriage and the value of committed relationships, gay or straight".

He wouldn't recognize the value of marriage, gay or straight, if it slapped him upside his stupid "proud to be a slut" head, and f*cked him up the bum, like so many times when he was in an allegedly "commited relationship/marriage".

Posted by: O.S. | Oct 26, 2006 4:21:28 PM