Coahuila | Gay Marriage | Mexico | Mexico City | News | Texas

Mexican State of Coahuila Legalizes Same-Sex Unions

CoahuilaBy a vote of 20-13, legislators in the Mexican state of Coahuila, which borders Texas, yesterday passed the most progressive same-sex union law in that country, one that goes further, according to Reuters, than one passed by lawmakers in Mexico City in November.

Said gay rights activist Silvia Solis: "It is more like a civil marriage." Among other benefits, the law "would grant social security benefits to both members of a homosexual union."

Coahuila, Mexico's third largest state with a population of 2.3 million, once formed a territory with Texas to its north, before Texas seceded to become the Republic of Texas (and then later part of the United States).

When Mexico City passed its same-sex union law in November, openly gay congressman David Sanchez said, "These reforms are going to cause a snowball effect that no one will be able to stop." Coahuila, which had its same-sex union bill in the works at the time, is the first state to follow suit.

You may have missed...
Mexico City Legalizes Same-Sex Civil Unions [tr]

Comments

1. In other news, Christian Conservatives are pushing for rapid construction of the border wall between Mexico and the US.

Posted by: Rad | Jan 12, 2007 9:07:28 AM

2. Bravo Mexico! Mexico is a more traditonal, patriarchal society than the US, and it takes huevos, and big ones, for legislators to make such a law. On the other hand, Mexico has long had a strong anti-clerical tradition, which may play a part in this...

Posted by: dave | Jan 12, 2007 9:21:40 AM

3. The enactment of a CIVIL UNION law in Coahuila, Mexico for same sex couples is good news for those who hoped for same.

States in the US should consider the CIVIL UNION policy for the like-minded. It would be fair and the most equitable solution to those who seek a same sex "marriage" law here in the good old...

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 12, 2007 9:27:03 AM

4. If only the far right would realize how redundant the wall is on this portion of the border...I mean, the prospect of entering Texas for any gay human being is quite terrifying in itself.

Posted by: burnssuit | Jan 12, 2007 9:53:11 AM

5. I am very encouraged by the same-sex unions in this Mexican state. It makes me think about illegally immigrating there. The fence is a dumb idea in my opinion. A better way to protect our borders is to bring our troops home and have them patrol the borders.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 12, 2007 10:13:18 AM

6. I agree Matt and there's all those hot Latino men to look at too. It's a win win situation.

Congrats to the FAMILY there and I envy them!

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 12, 2007 10:17:29 AM

7. Why am I here? Seriously? Think about it. I pay taxes for a war I don't agree with, I don't get any health care (and as I diabetic that is upsetting, my Blue Cross bill have been raised to $760 a month and I still have to pay more than $5 a prescription sometimes), half of this country sees me as "evil" and a "threat", with states passing laws to take away my rights and this country is behind the times in energy conservation, education and social policy. If my parents weren't here, I would have been in Spain, U.K., hell even Brazil a looooong time ago. I know I will be flamed for this, but the U.S. isn't the #1 country any more and it doesn't look like it's going to be any time soon. The fanatic right has sunken this ship and it's not too long until we're neighboring the Titanic (or is global warming keeps up, just stay on the coast and you'll be ocean floor soon).

Posted by: Cory | Jan 12, 2007 10:23:06 AM

8. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, Cory. But I wonder if the current state of affairs in the U.S. has been long-building rather than like, Bush gets elected and all of a sudden everything's sh*tty. I'm not partisan at all, just wondering.

On that note, much love to Mexico! Shame on us. While most Americans are thinly (or not so thinly) masking elitism and racism in the illegal immigration debate, the nation in question is surpassing US in progression.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 12, 2007 11:32:23 AM

9. I agree with Derrick. I would have to say these troubles are long building. The Bush Administration has only agitated it. I also think that a lot of the immigration debate is viewed as elitism and racism. I'm all for someone wanting to come to this country and build a better life but I believe you should do so legally. When you enter this country illegally, it makes those who have done it legally look poorly as if they are dead beats trying to take away jobs from "Americans".

Posted by: Matt | Jan 12, 2007 11:46:47 AM

10. My partner of six years is from Piedras Negras, Coahuila, and he will be astounded at this news. His family, like many of the rural residents, is probably reeling from this news. We've often talked about retiring to MX from Houston someday, and this makes that idea even more attractive.

Posted by: Bryant | Jan 12, 2007 1:50:24 PM

11. Way to go, mexico!

I am not gay myself, but living in the liberal Netherlands I really don't see why I should be bothered if someone else is.
    Hope the mentioned snowball-effect really happens, and that it crosses the border to the USA.

Posted by: sredlums | Jan 13, 2007 3:31:17 PM

12. We need to build a fence or wall ALL the way around Texas, and keep those folks IN their hell hole and OUT of our business!

Posted by: hephaestion | Jan 13, 2007 8:04:34 PM