Chicago | Fashion Men | Hal Sparks | Leather | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hal Sparks Shows His Bones at International Mr. Leather

Sparks

Hal Sparks provided entertainment at the International Mr. Leather 2007 competition which took place in Chicago over the weekend. Sparks' wardrobe, unfortunately, did not include a pair of assless chaps.

Mikel Gerle (center), Mr. Los Angeles Leather 2007, was crowned this year's winner. Rob Grant (left), Washington State Mr. Leather 2006, was named first runner up. Bill Hoeppner, Mr. Ramrod 2006, was named second runner up. More than 1,700 attended the contest, in which 52 contestants from five countries competed.

Sparks was later taken into a back room and flogged for wearing last year's Halloween costume.

Winners

Comments

1. Why is Hal Sparks concentrating so hard on the GLBT community? Sure he did Queer as Folk but he says he is straight yet he spends all of his time in gay bars and doing GLBT fundraisers...it's nice but is he just being a media whore? LOL

Posted by: Paul B. | May 30, 2007 12:30:00 PM

2. i think he was doing his impression of nicole ritchie.

Posted by: ken | May 30, 2007 12:40:06 PM

3. I think Sparks will take any gig he gets. And how could we reject anyone so cute?

Posted by: anon | May 30, 2007 12:43:05 PM

4. ugh he is one of the unfunniest entertainers around. he made me want to punch im during is "i love the " series on VH1, and I'm a latino hippie!

Posted by: Lito S | May 30, 2007 12:44:39 PM

5. I was there Sunday night and amazingly Hal Sparks was actually funny at times. Something I've never seen him accomplish EVER on any of his previous television appearances. And he started his time on stage by pointing out that of the QAF actors he was one of the "straight boys". Would I have preffered someone else? Of course. But the IML people hired him, I doubt he sent his resume on a cold call, and he surprised most of us in attendance with more than a few laughs. Not quite as many laughs as some of the contestant speeches, but close (and they only got :90 seconds appiece).

Posted by: Martin Johns | May 30, 2007 12:46:13 PM

6. There was a contest? On a stage?

We thought the contest was the endless mating dance in the Palmer House lobby. Silly us.

Posted by: Jake | May 30, 2007 12:59:25 PM

7. That was hilarious, Andy. "...flogged..." HAAHAHAHAAH!

I give Hal a lot of cred for putting himself out there and hosting, OF ALL THINGS, not just gay, but such a niche (fetish?) event!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 30, 2007 1:00:32 PM

8. J'adore Hal Sparks. I think he's cute as a button, playful, and friendly-like. A nice refreshment in a pool full of angst-ridden smouldering actor-model types.

Posted by: Brian | May 30, 2007 1:05:06 PM

9. There are few things cuter than Hal Sparks.

Posted by: Bill | May 30, 2007 1:12:43 PM

10. AKA the "United Nations of Self-Loathing Gay Men Encased in Dead Cow."

Posted by: Charlie | May 30, 2007 1:20:45 PM

11. I love Hal!

Posted by: Rad | May 30, 2007 1:41:58 PM

12. Leather is just another form of drag.

I have never met a leather queen who didn't own a poodle and or work in a flower shop.

Reality is always the oppisite of what people try to portray.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 30, 2007 2:20:43 PM

13. Just another example of why the religious rights and others hate us. Maybe if we assimilated more we would be liked by more.

Posted by: Matt | May 30, 2007 3:22:12 PM

14. I agree that a lot of the leather scene seems corny (although sometimes it seems hot), but the religious right would hate gays no matter how they were dressed.

Posted by: Charles | May 30, 2007 5:43:00 PM

15. Matt

NO to assimilation.

But yeah a little less of the leather drag would be cool. It truly is annoying to see the nelliest queens out there wearing leather.

Hell, the true tops/doms I have met never ever wear leather.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 30, 2007 6:10:38 PM

16. Yo bitches: If you don't like IML, don't come. No need to trash the leathermen.

Matt: Not even taking that crap seriously.

Hal Sparks: BARF. We get it - YOU'RE NOT GAY - shut up already.

Charlie: So you've met ALL leathermen and you've determined they're "self-loathing"? Give it up.

Posted by: Marc | May 30, 2007 8:39:31 PM

17. I would have preffered Ant. I heard him on Howard Stern one time and he said he and his partner were really into Leather.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 4, 2007 7:29:35 PM

18. Voting on Hal Sparks has been suspended on iamannoying.com this week because he was included in last week's list of the 25 Most Annoying Celebrities.

Posted by: DAVE | Jun 21, 2007 3:17:29 PM

19. My life has finally slowed down a bit so I got to watch the first season in full of Queer as Folk. I wonder why any straight men were cast for any of the Gay parts considering how many Gay actors there are who must be available. Which of course puts me at odds with the idea of non discrimination. Anyway QAF has just fascinated me so I was looking all over for info about all the players and Hal is as cute as a button, played his role in QAF beautifully - kissed men and more without any reservations I could see. I was quite disappointed he was straight in real life... But, my main point - we can love him in QAF and still he can be unfunny as stand up or may be an innapropriate choice to host a Gay event.

Posted by: Jaroslaw | Feb 21, 2011 6:22:40 PM