Hal Sparks Shows His Bones at International Mr. Leather

Sparks

Hal Sparks provided entertainment at the International Mr. Leather 2007 competition which took place in Chicago over the weekend. Sparks’ wardrobe, unfortunately, did not include a pair of assless chaps.

Mikel Gerle (center), Mr. Los Angeles Leather 2007, was crowned this year’s winner. Rob Grant (left), Washington State Mr. Leather 2006, was named first runner up. Bill Hoeppner, Mr. Ramrod 2006, was named second runner up. More than 1,700 attended the contest, in which 52 contestants from five countries competed.

Sparks was later taken into a back room and flogged for wearing last year’s Halloween costume.

Winners

Comments

1. Paul B. says

Why is Hal Sparks concentrating so hard on the GLBT community? Sure he did Queer as Folk but he says he is straight yet he spends all of his time in gay bars and doing GLBT fundraisers…it’s nice but is he just being a media whore? LOL

2. Lito S says

ugh he is one of the unfunniest entertainers around. he made me want to punch im during is “i love the ” series on VH1, and I’m a latino hippie!

3. Martin Johns says

I was there Sunday night and amazingly Hal Sparks was actually funny at times. Something I’ve never seen him accomplish EVER on any of his previous television appearances. And he started his time on stage by pointing out that of the QAF actors he was one of the “straight boys”. Would I have preffered someone else? Of course. But the IML people hired him, I doubt he sent his resume on a cold call, and he surprised most of us in attendance with more than a few laughs. Not quite as many laughs as some of the contestant speeches, but close (and they only got :90 seconds appiece).

4. says

There was a contest? On a stage?

We thought the contest was the endless mating dance in the Palmer House lobby. Silly us.

5. FizziekruntNT says

That was hilarious, Andy. “…flogged…” HAAHAHAHAAH!

I give Hal a lot of cred for putting himself out there and hosting, OF ALL THINGS, not just gay, but such a niche (fetish?) event!

6. Brian says

J’adore Hal Sparks. I think he’s cute as a button, playful, and friendly-like. A nice refreshment in a pool full of angst-ridden smouldering actor-model types.

7. pacificoceanboy says

Leather is just another form of drag.

I have never met a leather queen who didn’t own a poodle and or work in a flower shop.

Reality is always the oppisite of what people try to portray.

8. Matt says

Just another example of why the religious rights and others hate us. Maybe if we assimilated more we would be liked by more.

9. Charles says

I agree that a lot of the leather scene seems corny (although sometimes it seems hot), but the religious right would hate gays no matter how they were dressed.

10. pacificoceanboy says

Matt

NO to assimilation.

But yeah a little less of the leather drag would be cool. It truly is annoying to see the nelliest queens out there wearing leather.

Hell, the true tops/doms I have met never ever wear leather.

11. Marc says

Yo bitches: If you don’t like IML, don’t come. No need to trash the leathermen.

Matt: Not even taking that crap seriously.

Hal Sparks: BARF. We get it – YOU’RE NOT GAY – shut up already.

Charlie: So you’ve met ALL leathermen and you’ve determined they’re “self-loathing”? Give it up.

12. Jeff says

I would have preffered Ant. I heard him on Howard Stern one time and he said he and his partner were really into Leather.

13. DAVE says

Voting on Hal Sparks has been suspended on iamannoying.com this week because he was included in last week’s list of the 25 Most Annoying Celebrities.

14. Jaroslaw says

My life has finally slowed down a bit so I got to watch the first season in full of Queer as Folk. I wonder why any straight men were cast for any of the Gay parts considering how many Gay actors there are who must be available. Which of course puts me at odds with the idea of non discrimination. Anyway QAF has just fascinated me so I was looking all over for info about all the players and Hal is as cute as a button, played his role in QAF beautifully – kissed men and more without any reservations I could see. I was quite disappointed he was straight in real life… But, my main point – we can love him in QAF and still he can be unfunny as stand up or may be an innapropriate choice to host a Gay event.