Westboro Baptist to Picket Jerry Falwell Funeral

Westboro_2

The haters can’t even stand each other.

Fred Phelps’ Westboro Baptist Church has announced plans to picket the funeral of Reverend Jerry Falwell. They say: “WBC will preach at the memorial service of the corpulent false prophet Jerry Falwell, who spent his entire life prophesying lies and false doctrines like ‘God loves everyone’. There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable.”

According to their lovely website, GodHatesAmerica.com,

“1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield, Missouri, and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC’s faithful Bible preaching — thereby committing the unpardonable sin — otherwise known as the sin against the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, etc. All for lucre — making him guilty of their sins.”

Comments

1. says

Ah, the ultimate irony. Even a homosexual/liberal/feminist/brown people hater like Jerry Falwell isn’t enough for these creep.

2. Wolf says

OH THE IRONY!

OH THE POETIC JUSTICE!

Oh the hopes of a full fledge battle between the two groups on day of Falwells Funeral.

this is most certainly a MATCH MADE IN HELL.

Might just hopon plane to wtach in person.

TOO SWEET!

3. Jonathon says

Oh, my freaking god. One staggers at the irony.

Phelps accuses Falwell of preaching a “false doctrine” that God loves everyone? First, I would challenge ANYONE to present evidence that those words were ever uttered by Falwell, a man who clearly believed that gays, lesbians, feminists, the ACLU, etc. were not loved by God but rather were the cause of God’s wrath as expressed in 9/11, hurricanes, floods, AIDS, etc. In most ways, Phelps and Falwell are bosom buddies, and one would think that Phelps would be more sympathetic to his fellow Fundamentalist.

As much as I always detested Falwell, I think that it is abhorrent that Phelps and his wicked clan are going to make a spectacle of themselves at Falwell’s funeral. The only “good” thing that can come of this is an increased estrangement between Phelps and mainstream fundamentalist Christianity. Accusing someone of being “like Phelps” will be considered a great insult, at least once Phelps shows his ass at Falwell’s last hurrah.

4. dcmarty says

As I’ve said before, I’m convinced that WBC’s ONLY purpose in protesting is to try to instigate someone attacking them so that they can sue for damages. Even though I hate the idea of WBC having a valid court case, I’m almost hoping that one (or more) of Falwell’s sheeple kick the living shit out of these frauds. Nothing like a good fundie catfight to show how devoid of morality all these people really are.

5. says

on the bright side, “irrefragable” is a great word, though if it’s based on “fragged,” it should probably have two g’s.

Hataz can coin, but they can’t spell.

6. soulbrotha says

I hope that a fucking full-on brawl breaks out between the two cults! Now THAT would be some good reality tv!

7. gryphon773 says

It will be interesting to see if Dubya or any of the GOP wannabees attend the funeral and what happens when Phelps shows up

8. CHUX says

This is like the ultimate WWF smack-down… My only wish is that Tinky Winky could be the ref!

9. Iko says

His death keeps getting better and better. I should be drinking champagne or something.

10. Zeke says

It will be interesting to see how many people, who sat in silence as Phelps picketed at the funerals of AIDS victims and homosexuals, will suddenly become outraged over the tactics of the dear Reverend Phelps.

Interestingly enough, Phelps just puts on signs and parades on the streets, the VERY SAME messages that Jerry Falwell professed from the pulpit and on every mainstream news show that offered him a platform. Jerry just did it in a little bit “kinder and gentler” AND MORE DANGEROUS way.

11. says

Delicioius emotional trainwreckery aside, this little wingut smackdown may finally give the Falwell sheep a taste of how much it sucks to be hated and vilified on a national stage.

Of course, being on the receiving end of hatred and vitriol seems to BOLSTER the Christian Hate Industry’s sense of self-worth. So Wingnut Smackdown 2007! may be a total bust.

12. hoya86 says

The only reason I would care about these wingnuts is the fear that their behavior and stance againt Falwell generate a sympathetic treatment in the mainstream media for the late dirtbag.

13. Dave O. says

1. What the heck is “lucre”?

2. When old Phelps kicks off I hope we have either a Love-in in the town he’s buried in or an enmass prayer fest in the town. Because either we give it as good as we got or we rise above them…. Gloves are off on both these twisted Nazi-freaks (Fallwell and F. Phelps) but what is it going to be?

3. We are a highly intellegent community we can do better than they did….just how do we rededecate our selves to making this a better place (world) inspite of them and without them?

14. Jeff says

While I really, really don’t advocate protesting at funerals, this is one monster who deserves it. And I’d still like to see Phelps and his merry band of inbreds vastly outnumbered by gurgling, purse-wearing purple teletubbies waving good riddance to the tubby televangelist.

15. David in KC says

As a native Kansan I’ve become numb to their particular brand of crazy over the years.

As an alumni of the University of Kansas I’m horrified to see that photo of him with a Jayhawk on his jacket. He’s the reason people who work in Topeka live in Lawrence.

16. Philip says

This is toooo f’ing funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like they say, you can’t make this stuff up.

17. Zeke says

18. Zeke says

I don’t know what’s going on with the Towleroad comment program but I didn’t post that comment twice.

Accept my apologies anyway.

19. Zachary Fish says

@greg.org: Irrefragable is a real word, they spelled it correctly… it’s less-archaic cousin is “irrefutable”. ORIGIN: mid 16th cent.: from late Latin irrefragabilis, from in- ‘not’ + refragari ‘oppose.’

@dave.o: lucre is money… and it’s normally found in the phrase “filthy lucre”.

20. MT says

Let them cannibalize themselves. They’ll save us the trouble of having to take them out.

21. JR says

The Other Jeff,

Agreed! It is ON!!!

Still laughing about that. Thanks for making my morning! :)

22. greg,irg says

thanks, zeke. if only there were a simple way to look stuff up, check the factual basis of what you’re saying before you say it, errors and ignorance would disappear, and peace and love for all would blanket the earth.

Now what were we talking about again?

23. greg.org says

d’oh, I don’t know what that greg,irg guy’s talking about, but I’m glad Zach cleared up the vocab. Though I still like the ‘cannot be fragged’ idea, especially given the ‘shoot your leader in the back’ resonance of this story.

24. says

And here I was calling out Jesse Jackson and Sharpton for their blatant opportunism concerning Imus-gate, These WBC people will even publicly picket their own for a few morsels of attention.

25. bmac says

say what you want about phelps but you gotta admire his ability to consistently stay on message. that, is *focus*.

26. Leland says

Pollyannaism is alive if not well. “Southern Voice editor Laura Douglas-Brown” joins sometime gay activist Lynn Cothren in a folie a deux that Jerry Falwell was GOOD FOR US for us by inciting our anger and inspiring support in “mainstream America,” Were they born yesterday? Do they not get that Falwell was an architect of the antigay industry that has succeeded repeatedly in not just blocking our struggles for full equality but newly inculcated in law our inequality? I would rather celebrate victory in local and regional skirmishes while a national and international Culture War never developed than our angry reaction—which Douglas-Brown and Cothren grossly exaggerate just as they do our number of mainstream allies. World War II generated an unprecedented rebuilding of the US economy after the Depression. Should we be thankful for World War II?

The autoerotic climax in Douglas-Brown’s inane “Thank You, Jerry Falwell” column is quoting Todd Ferrell, president of the pro-gay Evangelical Network, imagining Falwell now surrounded by gay and lesbian angels IN HEAVEN!!! More proof we are our own worst enemies.

27. TONY says

WHY DOES TOWLEROAD REPORT EVERY TIME THAT FRED PHELPS AND HIS FOLLOWERS APPEAR IN PUBLIC??? YOU ARE PANDERING TO FRED PHELPS BY REPORTING EVERY TIME THAT HE APPEARS AT AN EVENT!!! HOW CAN YOU BE SO NAIVE?

28. adamblast says

Fred Phelps is the logical extension of the hatred Falwell preached his whole life. These are his chickens come home to roost, as is the Falwell villification occuring in blogs across the country.

29. akaison says

This situation- incidentally- is why the founders seperate church from state. it wasn’t to protect Christians from the Atheists and Secularists. It was to protect them from each other. They had seen the protean like nature of Christianity, and how each time someone came up with a new ‘ulitimate truth’ under Protestantism, the result was more bloodshed and oppression for the new group, and then that new group would proceed to do the same to the next new group and on and on.

30. kansastock says

Good for ole Fred. Apparently he doesn’t know that hate attacks are contagious.

31. Zeke says

AKAISON, WOW, that’s pretty profound stuff. I had really never thought of it that way but it’s pretty obvious that you hit the nail on the head there.

32. ReasonBased says

James Franco is so freaking HOT!

nothing to do with the topic but I couldn’t resist.

33. Ryan Mercer says

It’s sad to see how far the information age has gone. This list is filled with comments from people who know nothing about Jerry Falwell other than the occasional backlash they see about him on CNN or CBS. You take what little information you have from a biased sorce and run with it like you knew what the guy stood for. I personally witnessed Jerry Falwell’s message of Christ love for everyone. He was adamant about separating the sins of someone and the soul of someone. He truly hated sin and truly loved the people that sinned. So please for a moment before you run your uninformed slanderous mouths.

34. Mike says

He truly hated sin and truly loved the people that sinned. – Ryan Mercer

Ryan – are you serious? How could you be so blind? You don’t love people by inciting misunderstanding and violence on groups of people. You don’t love someone when you (as a Rev. no less) call Ellen Degeners Ellen Degenerate on national television. Jerry was filled with hate, not love.

35. Dean says

Ryan, I normally wouldn’t say such things, but… You’re an idiot.

I grew up with the “Jerry Falwell regime” and with many of his mindset. I have experienced firsthand the hatred that his so-called “message of love” brings. He made gay people a symbol of evil for millions and in doing so brought about much pain, heartache and even death.

So, please, refrain from trying to tell me that he preached God’s love.

36. usetaB1 wouldntwannaC1 says

“He truly hated sin and truly loved the people that sinned.”

Ryan my friend, just like every other conservative Xtian Falwell was unable to separate the sin from the sinner. Xtians claim their god loves unconditionally yet it’s impossible for them to do the same.

37. Leland says

Ryan, we dont’ need any other sources—we can take it straight from the moneygrubbing megalomaniac’s mouth. His three decades of spitting poison in the name of Jesus are well-documented and you, like the current pop preacher flavor of the month Rick Warren who describes Falwell on the religion blog at Newsweek/Wash Post.com as having a “compassionate heart” and “gentle spirit,” can lie to yourself about what he really was but your lies and Warren’s lies are wasted on us. WE HAVE THE SCARS, shit for brains, and the gravesites of our loved ones still must fight off the thorns of his demonization that pierced them and us.

38. mark m says

This death has officially become a circus.

Ever since I heard the theory that Phelps’ clan are looking to win a court case and rake in the money, I am convinced that is exactly what he has been doing.

He thought gays would be an easy target. After all, we’re all just evil sinful perverts who wouldn’t think twice about attacking him and his family.

But no dice.

So then he up’d his game and started going after dead soldiers. That’s gotta work! Trigger-happy grieving families will attack them and then he can sue the state for not providing enough protection.

But no dice.

Now he is going to try fellow extremists.

He may finally get his dice with right-wing nutjobs.

39. says

Phelps’ face looks like melted candlewax. If he shaved off his hair, he’d kinda look like Voldemort from Harry Potter.

40. Becks07 says

Why does every fucking post on here devolve into a Zeke-Leland-Dan-Whatever pissing match? Borrrrrrrring.

41. Zlexar says

Falwell Vs. Phelps – still not nearly as good as Godzilla Vs. Mothra.

Now, Mothra Vs. Phelps….Go Mothra!

42. Zeke says

BECKS07, don’t be jealous puddin, we’ll give you some attention too.

Tell us again how much you loved seeing that toddler getting kicked in the face on the YouTube roundup and I’m sure you will get all the negative attention you crave.

43. k says

I was waiting for the Phelps Klan to be making an announcement about this — they didn’t disappoint. I almost see JF as much more dangerous — so many people fell for what he was saying. WBS has now become such a circus act that they border on alien creaters. No one takes them seriously now, and their messages are so extreme that they are laughable. They quote memorized phrases out from the Bible like people are supposed care what they are saying. They don’t spread intolerance and hate like JF did. They are much better at merely exhibiting lunacy.

44. John says

Ryan,
    I don’t where you have gotten your info, but I am not uninformed or have only gotten my info from “soundbites”. I have been very familiar with Falwell since the 70’s. At that time, my parents unfortunately fell under his spell. They have come to their senses, Thank God, but I have seen damage he has done over the years to any who did not share his religious beliefs. He did not do any of this out of love or compassion or any of the other tenets of Christ. He did it for MONEY and POWER. That was Jerry Falwell’s true love and true god and in the end, that will be his legacy.
    I would love to see the look on his face in Heaven (if he actually get there, I have my doubts) and is met by all the gays he has damned over the years who died of Aids, suicide or beatings by thugs spurred on by his vile rantings. And for his sake, I hope God is willing to be more forgiving of him than he ever was to anyone else.
    John

45. RB says

Ok, so this is the best of both worlds! First, we no longer have to hear the hate preaching of Falwell. Second, Phelps will FINALLY alienate himself from the wing nuts religious crowd that have thus far been unwilling to denounce him! He will be as dead as Falwell when he tries this one…I personally cannot wait. I wonder if they will sell tickets. Popcorn anyone?

46. sean says

hmmm, why don’t we just find out when one of the WBC wingnutz buys the farm and picket his or her funeral? we can come up with signs like “god hates freddy phelps” or “god hates incestuous breeders” or “god hates shirley’s gaping gash,” etc. oh, that’s right. now i know why we don’t, we have better things to do with our time like fight for equal rights, build a better country, ferret out the haters and expose them for the hypocrites they are, etc.

p.s. ryan, come out of the closet please. in order to stop hating others, you have to stop hating yourself.

47. Chris says

Sure, Jerry Falwell made mistakes. He’s not perfect, nor ever claimed to be. However, he was a committed Christian, who genuinely preached what he believed he was called to do. When he made mistakes, which were often multiplied do to his high profile in the media, he always apologized for them.

I have not always been in agreement with Rev. Falwell’s preaching style, but he had my respect. With that being said, please do not confuse Jerry Falwell, and those associated with him, or Christians for that matter, with the likes of the Phelps’. Fred Phelps is a mentally deranged individual, who uses a very thin veneer of religiousity, and his iron grip over his church, which is basically just his relatives, to justify pure unadulterated hatred of pretty much everyone who disagrees with him.

48. Dean says

Oh, please, Chris! You quite obviously did not bother to read any of the prior comments. Believe me, WE KNOW who and what Falwell was. He was an evil, power-hungry megalomaniac who used the tools of prejudice and ignorance to push his agenda to gain monetary and social power. Had he lived at the time of Jesus, he might well have been run out of the church with whips.

He apologized?? REALLY???!!! Check these out: (borrowed from AdamBlast’s post)

Choice Quotes from Falwell:

“AIDS is not just God’s punishment for homosexuals; it is God’s punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

“The idea that religion and politics don’t mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country”

“If you’re not a born-again Christian, you’re a failure as a human being”

“The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America’s free enterprise system and our economic stability”

“I do question the sincerity of People like the Reverend Martin Luther King…”

“I hope to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we don’t have public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them.”

(Re: 9/11 attacks) “…throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad…I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America…I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen.”

Name me ONE for which he EVER apologized… No… I thought not.

Falwell was at least as evil as Phelps. Maybe more so. Phelps is an idiot. Falwell’s acceptable spin on lies and ignorance caused horrible pain, heartache and YES!!!!!!!! even death.

Now, perhaps, you like to go find some Jews and tell them how nice the Nazis were. Just “misunderstood”, I’m sure.

49. Hey says

Is that the preacher ghost from Poltergeist II? Irrefutable proof that there is no god is that devastating tornado that recently struck Kansas leveled quite a few churches but completely missed ‘ole irrefragable Phelpsy.

50. ReasonBased says

This Chris person is a prime example of the devastating effects reloigious indoctrination can have on the human mind. It is amazing that any sane person, let a lone a gay person, would “respect” a crazy hateful despicable idiot like Falwell. You must be a self loathing fag to believe any of the things this mad said, or for that matter to call yourself a member of a cult that considers you worthy of death (read the new testamenet, it is right there in Romans)

51. BILLOFTHEDESERT says

If the concept of God has any validity or any use, it can only be to make us larger, freer, and more loving.
    If God cannot do this, then it is time we got rid of Him. – James Baldwin

52. CK says

Don’t know how Phelps has slipped through the craziness crack… people a lot less unhinged have been locked away for a very long time. We can but hope that he will also get the same treatment… soon! Put HIM out of OUR misery!