Isaiah Washington Speaks Out After Grey’s Anatomy Firing

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Isaiah Washington said he was “saddened” by the studio’s decision not to hire him back for another season of Grey’s Anatomy and said that he hadn’t spoken to any of the cast members since the news was announced last week.

IsaiahwashingtonThe firing was widely seen as the delayed result of the comments Washington made earlier this year when he repeatedly used the word “faggot” to refer to fellow cast member T.R. Knight. Washington blamed the media for the explosive outrage that followed:

“I can only take one day at a time. I can only apologize so many times. I can only accept so much responsibility. All the players involved have taken care of what we needed to take care of in-house — and the media took it in a different direction. I hope that everyone is happy for the outcome for Isaiah, but Isaiah will go on and do what I love to do. And I have to go about the business of letting people know what’s written about me is not the truth. I’m merely an actor, a husband, and a father who’s trying to do a great job and be very grateful and understanding that I’m in a very privileged position. This isn’t a time for me to be looking back; it’s only a time for me to be looking forward. I just hope people can understand in the industry and otherwise that it’s a horrible misunderstanding what transpired with our show and it was blown out of proportion. If the naysayers out there feel that some justice has been served and that they’re happy with the outcome, so be it. It’s incumbent on me to take what I do, do it well, grow from the experience, and move on.”

Washington says he’s now working on an indie film called The Least of These. When asked whether or not he was on “good terms” with Knight, Washington replied, “I don’t know. You have to ask T.R. that.”

Comments

1. Brian says

Bitter, party of one…

I agree that he really can only apologize so many times. The reason why the media and some of the public are still clamoring for his head is that the apologies seemed so insincere. He was sorry that he was getting caught up in a shitstorm rather than being sorry for his pattern of reprehensible behavior (only a small portion of which involved the f-word).

That kind of behavior will get you fired no matter what business you’re in, and he has only himself to blame.

2. Jack! says

He’s definitely bitter. I don’t know what “you have to ask T.R.” means.

On a more serious note CitizenCrain.com is reporting the disturbing killing of a gay man in Indiana. The murder bares striking resemblance to Matthew Sheppard’s murder.

3. Greg says

It still doesn’t sound like he understands, does it? And it’s telling that no other member of the cast has been in contact since the news.

4. Andres says

Out of curiosity, how is he “bitter?” the man is a multimillionaire. he apologize, begged, and did what GLAAD demanded, the PSA, that none of you felt was sincere., and no matter what he says or does, he will never be forgiven by the posters here, who usually remain silent when the trolls pop out with their racial nonsense about him and any other black person who makes similar comments on this board. I would think that you all would just be happy that he was fired, end of subject, but, that’s not the case, he’s still public enemy #1.

Sorry, he was wrong, and I’m sure he knows it, but, to constantly see posters castigate him is sick and the obsession with his every move is just weird. One thing in life is a fact, you can drag people over the coals for slurs, abut, you can’t change what’s in their hearts, just like you can’t legislate it, you have to show and treat them with the tolerance that they don’t have. The hypocrisy that oozes here is just too much at times, but, not at all unexpected.

5. Andres says

Sorry, he was wrong, and I’m sure he knows it, but, to constantly see posters castigate him is sick and the obsession with his every move is just weird. One thing in life is a fact, you can drag people over the coals for slurs, abut, you can’t change what’s in their hearts, just like you can’t legislate it, you have to show and treat them with the tolerance that they don’t have. The hypocrisy that oozes here is just too much at times, but, not at all unexpected with all the perfect gay men here who have never once made a mistake or had foot in mouth.

6. says

Andres, there’s nothing weird about it. When’s the last time somebody got canned for calling a fellow worker a “faggot”?

How about NEVER!!!!!

Clark Gable called George Cukor a faggot (In his youth he was a hustler and Cukor was one of his johns.) But who got fired from Gone With the Wind?

Cukor, that’s who.

7. Charles says

“So you can take you Isaiah Washington Pity-Party and shove it up your sad self-loathing gay black ass!”

Wow, for a writer, you are so articulate.

I sincerely want to see Jake Gyllenhaal or someone like that scream faggot at a coworker just so I can gauge the reactions on here-I really think that they would be different.

8. clay says

OK, I almost feel sorry for the guy now

He lives in Hollywood, he HAS to be aware that better actors, better LOOKING actors, actors with many years on hit television series, actors with numerous awards, actors without reputations of violence and hate-speech, exit a series and drop off the edge of the world as far as Hollywood is concerned. And he thinks he has a second act? Seriously?

But then….there’s David Caruso. So what the fuck do I know?

9. Derrick from PHilly says

I shook hands with George Cukor back in the late seventies when he was speaking on Temple University’s campus. Fortunately, he didn’t appear to have the same racist attitude as some folks on this blog. He didn’t deserve to be called “faggot”

10. A says

What a dick.

I tried to read that statement with an open mind, but it just doesn’t sound genuine. He’s definitely more sorry about getting caught than saying “the new F word”.

11. RJ says

Charles, the difference is that Jake G. or “someone like that” wouldn’t do what Washington did, which included physically assaulting Patrick Dempsey. Personally, I thought the latter action should have gotten him fired immediately.

12. Mark says

I think what the bothers me the most about it taking this long for Isaiah Washington to be fired is the blatant double standard that is in evidence here. If the altercation had been between TR Knight and Patrick Dempsey over Washington, and Knight referred to his costar as a “nigger,” he would have been bounced from the show immediately. And that would have been the proper response from ABC. Why they felt that the word “faggot” wasn’t an equally vile slur is beyond me.

13. Luke says

Wow, it has turned nasty yet again, with people using the “n-word” in comparison to the “f-word.” And, “black ass.” It saddens me that this has turned into a black vs white issue, but, I knew it would, and it shows the gay community is just as divided as the public at large, neither side willing to try and understand where the other ones are coming from. The racism here is deplorable, and from some of the guys here, 100 times worse than Washington vile homophobic remarks.

Dudes, grab a clue, you can’t be condemning someone for making homophobic remarks, when some of you have no problem spewing racist ones, they both suck, as do the bigots who spew them, gay or straight, and hopefully one day all of you will go away.

14. says

David,

You accuse Andres of being self-loathing (a term that really needs to be put away). Does he self loathe the black part or the gay part. It really wasn’t clear to me!

15. says

“Folks with German sounding surnames should be careful about making racially incendiary comments…we can’t tell whether you’re Jewish or just plain Nazi.”

And obviously because of that you “can’t tell” that I’m black.

16. says

“You accuse Andres of being self-loathing (a term that really needs to be put away).”

It isn’t used nearly enought.

” Does he self loathe the black part or the gay part. It really wasn’t clear to me!”

For some black gays being black trumps being gay.

And black in this context is invariably seen as antithetical to gay — the history
    of key gay African-Americans like James Baldwin, Bayard Rustin and the entire fucking Harlen Rennaissance (with the deeply closeted Langston Hughes) to the contrary.

17. Chris says

The point is, Washington doesn’t think he was wrong, or at least he doesn’t think he should have faced any repercussions for what he did. People here do not feel his apology was sincere because apparently it was not.

The fact that at this point in time he does not know on what terms he is with T.R., or indeed he knows he’s not on good terms, is evidence that T.R. did not accept the apology. The fact that none of his co-workers are in touch with him indicates that no one has forgiven him, probably because motivation for making amends was to save his ass and not out of genuine regret for his words or violent actions. It also shows that the people who witnessed the events don’t have any sympathy for him, which indicates that what he did was truly egregious.

People on this board and elsewhere would have forgiven Washington if he showed some regret or remorse for what he had done. He hasn’t and his tone of exasperation in the interview shows that he doesn’t feel any. Apparently he thinks he should be able to cuss out and hit others when he feels like it and when he does, he should be cut some slack, since he is the Great Isaiah Washington (see above where he refers to himself in the 3rd person). This makes him a major league asshole and this is why people are happy to see him go down in flames.

18. Charles says

“For some black gays being black trumps being gay.”

For some white gay men, being black trumps being gay when they look at black gay men as well…and they havent heard of James Baldwin, Rustin, or Hughes either…so your point is?

“People on this board and elsewhere would have forgiven Washington if he showed some regret or remorse for what he had done.”

I dont agree-I think the problem is no matter what he would have said or done, it wouldnt have been enough for a lot of people-after it was said, there was nothing he could do to undo it, because no one really cares about tolerance, forgiveness, education or any of those overused meaningless terms-it’s about vilification and revenge and grudge holding.

19. Albert says

While I agree that you can’t legislate tolerance, and agree that there is a huge underlying problem of racism in the gay community, I still can’t respect Isaiah Washington’s “apologies” because they come off as insincere. This entire debacle really isn’t about Isiah Washington anymore, its more about how homophobia receives much less ire and castigation in American society than racism does.

Also, he referred to himself in the third person and switched to the first person IN MID SENTENCE. Ugh!

20. SGR says

“This entire debacle really isn’t about Isiah Washington anymore, its more about how homophobia receives much less ire and castigation in American society than racism does.”

Oh bull. If that were the case, why are you not directing your hatred at ABC? They’re the ones who delayed the firing.

The bulk of the vitriol here was and is still directed at Washington, the man, despite his many apologies. That you and others are still hung up on the sincerity of his apologies, after all he’s done to make amends, makes it clear you’re the ones with the problem. He’s the one who makes your blood boil. He’s the one you refuse to forgive. He’s the one you still can’t resist castigating, even after he’s lost his job. He’s the one whose every word you have to turn into evidence that he’s a bad, bad man.

If the issue were how corporations respond to homophobic slurs, we’d see comment after comment about ABC. But they’re all about Washington.

Andres has it right.

21. says

“no one really cares about tolerance, forgiveness, education or any of those overused meaningless terms-it’s about vilification and revenge and grudge holding.”

Cue Alfred Newman and the 20th Century-Fox orchestra!

22. Derrick from Philly says

David, actually, black gays who come to this blog tend to be those who do not believe that “being black trumps being gay.” I’ve argued with those brothas’ on Keith’s and Jasmyne’s blogs many times. They “work” my nerves, but I still respect their point of view–their philosophy. Part of what makes them feel that way is attitudes represented by the statement you made earlier, “…self-loathing black ass…”
    For them, racism is far more detrimental than homophobia–and they see too much racism among white gays.

And let us recognize the most important point of all; whether it’s black, white, yella’, red or brown: an ass can be beautiful–especially if it belongs to an NFL runningback, dammit!

23. Andres says

Well, Mr. Einstein (sp), sorry to burst the bubble in that perfect world you live in, but, I’m not “black.” I’m of Portuguese Caucasian heritage, and will call out a bigot no matter who they are, be it Isaiah Washington, or some gay cowards in cyberspace who is as shallow in their hatred of people of color as they are in saying they are fair and tolerant. he made a HUGE mistake, he apologized for it, what do you people want, him to take you out to dinner at the Ritz and show that he is sincere, or to have him sent into outer space, never to be seen or heard from again? Can’t try and tell others about how to treat and show gay men and women with respect, when most of you here can’t even be civil to your fellow gays of color. Sheesh, the reeking hypocrites are too much at times.

And, in the end, no matter how lilly white you are, in the eyes of most of planet earth, we are all the same, gay and to many disgusting since they feel that no matter your race. And, instead of trying to work to fight this sort of bigotry as a united front, posters on this board and others seem hell bent to make the gay community divided with thier own petty racial hang-ups, just sick.

24. says

“I’m of Portuguese Caucasian heritage” well have Manoel de Oliveira pin a rose on you!

The facts are simple: He called T.R. a faggot and got called on it. His apologies haven’t been accepted because they’re obviously insincere. His pr campaign (launched by Howard Bragman — a real pro who’s also a personal friend of mine) didn’t work. He’s off the show and back to small time indie film appearances.

Slow curtain. The end.

25. Will says

And Rush Limbaugh continues to spew his hate … I don’t care for Isaiah’s perceived insincerity, and perhaps he may be a bit of a scapegoat, but it’s about time we started holding celebrities accountable for intollerance. I don’t think he’ll be missed from grey’s anatomy. His character was one of the most uninteresting.

26. sean says

there’s a difference between apologizing for a wrong when you are told to apologize for fear that you will be punished for your wrong and apologizing because you have realized you have truly hurt someone by your words and actions. in other words, the latter comes from having a conscience. having a clear sense of right from wrong. it originates from within. not from without simply because someone told you so. get it?

27. Tyler says

How did this turn into the black man is a villain and the white guy a hero? Washington was a loud, obnoxious boob who made some nasty slurs, he apologized, and some took it as if he meant it, other still want more, even though he has been canned. The only person who needed to accept his apology was Mr. Knight. This thing is now racial, and that is wrong, he was wrong, and its wrong for anyone to blame all black men, call them names because of what he did. If, you are going to hold a whole race of people up for the homophobic slurs of one, then, this board would be filled daily with white folks knocking each other.I guess that they same ones who are so ticked off abut him not realize, they are coming off as bad as Ann Coulter, and to the David guy, man, what is your problem? Maybe you need some anger management help since, your rage is kinda creepy and your keyboard is going to explode from the pounding away of your, ummm, thoughts.

I thought that we in the glbt community were fighting for equal rights for all of us, not just ones of certain colors. But, as usual, this board proves me wrong.

28. says

“The only person who needed to accept his apology was Mr. Knight.”

Oh brother.

Too bad Matthew Shepherd can’t come back from the dead and apologize to his murderers!

“This thing is now racial, and that is wrong, he was wrong, and its wrong for anyone to blame all black men, call them names because of what he did. ”

And who precisely did that, dear? Certainly not T.R. And certainly not me.

“and to the David guy, man, what is your problem?”

YOU, for one thing!

29. says

Come on David. Stop acting so naive. The whole Washington thing has been playing out with a racial edge on this site. Andy would give the news and a number of Towleroad commentators couldn’t wait to call Washington a “dirty nigger.”

30. Tyler says

David, how dare you try to drag Matthew Shepard into this thread about two over paid millionaire actors, one who was/is a homophobe and one who was hiding in his closet for whatever reason. Or, is he the only gay man brutally murdered that counts? How about the murder of Michael Sandy a few months ago? Or, is your compassion only for certain people? You my man are nothing but a troll.

And, I agree with James, some of the guys here couldn’t wait for the right opportunity to spew a racial slur at black men, which is their right, but, give me a break, why is it that so few denounce them?

But, one thing is for sure, when you deal with trolls online, they are usually unemployed, and sit around all day egging people on with thier hatered and out of touch with reality nonsense, so, you fit that bill to a t, now, dish away, but with more anger please, LOL!

31. Jack! says

Isaiah Washington is not public enemy #1 with me. Other people are far more dangerous and concerning to me like James Dobson. I’ve criticized every one that has made anti-gay comments or done things against gay people you can look at my track record.

Faggot and dyke are up there with all other derogatory words used toward groups of people. Unfortunately gay people don’t know their history so they don’t know of the long (thousands of years) history of discrimination on a GLOBAL scale toward them. Discrimination against gay people didn’t just start 50 years ago. Otherwise gay people would be more concerned about incidents like this and in turn society would. Until gay people become concerned the general public won’t. As far as people believing gay people haven’t “paid their dues” when it comes to discrimination, we have. Not being able to live OUR life is plenty but on top of that we have been brutalized and our history has been destroyed in some places and times

David take a breath and calm down.

32. JR says

HOLD ON!!! This situation is out of hand. Isaiah did something that in any other workplace would have resulted in termination. The fact that it didn’t occur immediately here probably had more to do with ABC trying to figure out how to handle terminating him without it harming the show in any way. Given the number of gay people working in Hollywood, I doubt that ABC was just going to let it slide that this guy not only physically assaulted a castmate but also said something that is unacceptable. The fact is they probably worked the angle in the show so as to maintain viewership and still be able to take the appropriate action. Thus, his character leaves at the end of the season and the actor is not hired back. That’s it! Everyone else expecting things to happen a certain way are just putting their own stuff on it and the fact is that none of us REALLY know what went on behind closed doors. So let’s stop making it a black vs. gay thing because that is an argument with no end.

33. John says

I agree with all who are saying that the racial undertones (or overtones, I guess, depending on your view) have gotten a bit too intense.

However, the racial elements of this issue shouldn’t be ignored in favor of racial fairness. Let’s not forget that in the midst of all this furor, Mr. Washington was ‘honored’ by the NAACP with an “Image Award”. Granted the award was for his acting on “Grey’s.” But if the tables were turned, and Knight, as has been said, had called Washington the ‘n-word’, and then were to be honored with, say, a GLAAD Media Award…well, I think we’d all be scratching our heads a bit and saying “THIS is the guy we decide to ‘honor’ as a stand-up example of the gay community?!” This is, after all, THE most prominent African-American activism organization in the country, and the award is for promoting a positive image of African-Americans…so somewhere in there, there’s a pretty large disconnect.

34. Harrison says

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I didn’t think that the numerous things that Isaiah Washington did in the aftermath of the incident were in any way related to his continuing to be on the program.

Characters get written off of shows all the time. Dominic Monaghan was just excused from LOST this season, for example.

My point being, I’m disappointed by Washington’s statement because it seems to me like he thought it was a quid pro quo situation. “If I publicly apologize, do the PSA, and meet with the groups, then we’ll just pretend like this all never happened and move on.” Maybe if he and his PR flack hadn’t spent so much time congratulating themselves for all their wonderful work, some of us would be more apt to believe him. And who knows what the rationale was for not renewing his contract. Was it the incident with T.R.? Was it the physical altercation with Dempsey? Was it the supposed discomfort some female castmates felt with him? Or was it a creative decision? None of us really know for sure, so it’s hard to speculate.

35. tony says

You know what, if you want to see how mean human beings can be, just check the blogs on Isaiah. The man apologizes, does what Glaad asked him to do, went to rehab, gets fired and you guys are still mean towards him. Men, and the ugly thing is, with your reaction, you honestly think the F*gg&t word would disappear. It just shows how ugly hearted people are, both gays and straight people, especially the T.R Knight, who doesn’t have the decency to make forgive, after he helped make another man lose his job

36. Debra says

I doubt if he was written of the show, he was him, Kate Walsh and Sandra Oh were the best things in it. Its unfortunate only two people sent him a message. If i was him, I’d be happy I was out of there. For me, I am done with the show, the drama outside the show is more interesting, I am looking forward to the Private Practice though. And I can now comfortably watch The Office, without switching to and fro Grey’s Anatomy

37. says

“Taking responsibility” means accepting the consequences of one’s actions. He was fired. That was the consequence. All that bullshit apologizing he did in the media (when he was happily spinning in the news cycle) was meant to obviate that outcome. It failed. Now he needs to suck it up and understand that *now* is the time he gets to take responsibility. Not then.

That said, the truth of this is, if he were a huge rating draw he would not be fired. Sorry. It’s first and foremost about the money. Hollywood always does the right thing once the price has been negotiated.

38. Aaron says

@Jack!, wow, a level head post on this very nasty thread, thanks. The one some of these posters are going off its as if they have won fairness across the board, no more discrimination against gay people anywhere in the USA, umm, its a lame actor on a lame television show, his words impact the people who watch that show more than anyone else, and as I’ve never seen it, I wouldn’t know any of the people on it if they knocked on my door since television is for the, I’ll skip my take on TV viewers, wrong forum for that. But, its not going to stop kids being bullied at school, its not going to stop ministers in churches on Sunday from spewing hate. Its not going to stop the Pope from saying we are ill, it does nothing, other than make people who feel the same way he does not hire gays and or tipey toe around them with fear of something blowing up.

That is not how I want to be treated, I want respect based on whom I am, a gay man, not some side show freak who needs special rules. I want positive gays in the public light, not ones who are weak and have to sue of threaten others for respect.

And, @ John, the NAACP can “honor” who they want, they focus on a certain segment of society. Gay groups honor their own, Latino’s, Asians, etc, and most don’t honor gay folks and so do other groups. No big deal with me and I don’t see any sort of disconnect, other than the fact that they say they aren’t going to be forced by Hollywood to do something, since blacks aren’t getting a fair shake there anyway’s.

Anytime race and especially sexuality is in the picture, its always divisive and ugly in this country, and sadly, the gay community has that same “disconnect” in facing up to it.

39. Tony says

I have no qualms with him being fired, although I felt it should have been done when the situation occured. My problem is, the guy has lost his job, apologized, and helped the gay community with public announcements, then why the heck are people, especially the Knight kid, still so negative. Frankly, if it was me, I’d say kiss my behind

40. Debra says

Tyler said it best, your actions represent a lot more about yourself. In this country everybody is an ambassador of some sort, either the gay, black, asian or hispanic community. Our actions define us. T.R knight lost a great chance to show some class. If we still remember, Dempsy was physically abused and he acted so classy, that everyone forgot the issue started out with him

41. Derrick says

There is a weird thing I noticed though, black gay men were against him being fired and white gay men wanted him fired. Lets ignore he was an obnoxious character, but is this more of a racial issue that a sexual orientation topic

42. Tony says

Not at all, Knight has a right like every American to express his sexuality. But I think Knight would have settled this issue in-house, like Patrick dempsy, and probably sued the show, instead of putting such a radar on his back, presently there are as many groups who are as pissed off with him as they with Isaiah

43. soulbrotha says

Imma beat this dead horse until I get a sensible answer:

How can the gay “factions” (“community” is a bullsh@t term)judge ANYBODY for calling a person a “faggot/fag”, when they openly EMBRACE the word themselves? In media, magazines, music, or everyday usage? In this respect, it is no different than the word “nigger/nigga” (and all the spelling variations).
    If this verbal lynching against Isaiah is about the slur he spoke, then where is the rope for the rest of us?

44. Desi says

the comment about Dempsey said it all…he got phyically assaulted and still did whine or cry like Knight. I mean give me a break, if Dempsey did see the need to start crying (like Knight on Ellen, talk about embarrasing) then Knight should have had enough testicles to do the same. Talk about a walking stereotype..”he called me names and pushed me down” is all I think when I see him….

45. johnosahon says

i am on camp isaiah, preach on “Andreas”.

of course i was pissed at him, but you can’t keep on beating a dead horse. forgive and forget, you are losing your will and power to him, move on people.

i wish him well, don’t know if i will watch grey next season, TOO MUCH DRAMA. can finally watch “scrubs”. maybe i will watch for sandra and debra, still love those chicks.HATE THE REST.

46. says

Oh I get it now. It’s not a race issue at all. Patrick Dempsey is a “Real Man” cause he kept quite whereas T.R. Knight is a faggot because he complained about being called a faggot.

Plenty of of closet queens in here — with tons of ‘tude but no last names.

47. FunMe says

Since the very beginning of this scandal, I felt Isiah was going through the motion JUST to save his job.

He had a history of homophobic behavior not to mention being physical with other members of various acting crews.

Karma simply caught up with him.

He’s lucky he did not get canned right away. He got to make more money for working through the end of the season.

I think this send a STRONG message in Hollywood: discrimination of any kind will no longer be tolerated!

48. Oscar says

I think it was time for Isaiac Washington (IW) to be booted out. If Imus was booted out for his “nappy hos” remark, IW had to go. The ‘f’ word is no less offensive that the ‘n’ word. My dear Andre, maybe for you it isn’t, but it is very insulting and disgusting, regardless of race, when a non-gay calls you a FAGGOT. Even a gay is out of line but… I call my friends that with love and not insulting, just like blacks call themselves the ‘n’ word and means nothing. But, anybody else calls me the ‘f’ word and I see red and want to kill. IW had no right to call TR the ‘f’ word, not once but twice. IW was totally out of line and OUT HE GOES. TG (that means Thank God).

49. Oscar says

David Ernstein, get out of your closet. Next time you are in the public toilet looking for a trick in anonimity ’cause you are to chicken to come out, be careful for the undecover. TR came out because he had the balls to do it. Not only that, he had the decency not to call IW the ‘n’ word. The one out of line was IW, specially when the original problem was with Patrick Dempsey. IW is too much of a chicken to go for PD so he lashed at somebody else about something he (IW) had no right to have anything to do with. Come on, face it, if Imus went, IW MUST go. I just sorry it took to long but, I understand because of the continuity on the series. I’ll now watch it with more delight.

50. Harrison says

“I mean give me a break, if Dempsey did see the need to start crying (like Knight on Ellen, talk about embarrasing) then Knight should have had enough testicles to do the same. Talk about a walking stereotype..”he called me names and pushed me down” is all I think when I see him….”

Desi, if that’s what you saw from T.R. Knight’s ONE public discussion of the incident, then you need a reality check.

51. desi says

sorry, but it is what it is….dempsey and washington almost came to blows and it never went beyond the two of them……Knight is called a name (granted a really bad slur) and he ends up on Ellen’s couch almost in tears….i somehow don’t think if Washington had been called the n-word he would have been crying…mad as hell, yes, but crying, c’mon……had it just been between Knight and Washington, then sure, burn Washington…but when you look at the two situations together and the guys who almost fought let it go and then you add Knight…it is like “oh no, T.R. just try not to cry.” No, he should not have let it go, but at least don’t feed into the “emasculated gay guy” thing….

52. Oscar says

The SOB was IW. He was not man enough to really face it to PD so he takes it on somebody else and about something that had nothing to do with the original problem. I call it lowdown and disgusting. By the way my dear, the real man is the one that has the balls to cry. The ‘girlie-man’ is the one that wants and doesn’t have the balls to do it.

53. desi says

sorry Oscar but your mom dies…you cry
    your best friend is in the hospital..you cry
    you house burns down with everything you own in it…you cry
    some jackass calls you a name…you call him one back..you tell him to go to hell…you get angy and demand an apology…you don’t plop down on Ellen and
    and act like you are in first grade and say “the big kids are teasing me.”

54. Geoff says

Desi, you make too much sense for this board. ABC should have canned him the first time he acted like a fool, and if this TR was a real man, he would have dealt with it like a real man, instead of being a victim, big bug yes welling up, and so sad, that it was going to take Ellen to defend the poor little thing, just sad.

Now, everyone in Hollyweird has to be afraid, very afraid not to say or look at TR or any other in the closet gay man or woman with anything other than eyes to the floor, they are saints in the fight for equality! Saints, the struggle of someone making $125,000 being outed and called a name, a week is really going to help the gay waiter at the IHOP who gets harassed, or small town teacher who gets harassed.

This whole system of forcing equality and tolerance at people is going to do one thing, cause more hate and more ballot initiatives and right wing courts. There has to be a better way in this fight.

55. Cal says

It takes balls to cry on Ellen’s couch because someone insults you, how gay is this dude David dude.
    Its funny, in the gay community they call each other the f#$goT word and in the black community, they use themselves the N&gg&r word, and yet both words are supposed to be wrong. Please, if Imus was black he wont be fired, if Isaiah was gay, none of you would be on the board. Be constant with ur hypocrisy.
    Frankly speaking, the truth of the matter is, nobody watches grey’s anatomy becos of Knight, he’s an unbelievable character, and we all know that the Grey’s anatomy is headed for a fall . But what the heck, both guys suck

56. wk says

Know what guys??? If this world was invaded by aliens from outer space, good ones or bad ones, they would be called invaders,or aliens or something…It would not change this worlds perception of what we are called here. We will always be called Niggers by some stupid people and fagotts by All stupid people..do I make sence???

57. mark m says

What I see here is the same tired model for any disagreement over race issues – a bunch of folks bending over backwards to make their case without admitting that their own race and experience is clouding their reasoning.That goes for both sides: demonizing Washington/defending Washington.

Race relations continue to be a sad failure in America. Let’s move on because it ain’t getting fixed here that’s for sure.

58. says

glbt relations continue to be a said failure in America for reasons amply demonstrated by posts in this thread.
    We are PARALYZED by internalized homophobia to the extent that a homophobe gets more respect than and out gay man because a gay man who fights back is seen as “weak.”

All of you anti-TR posters are most welcome to ROT in your pathetic closets!

59. Tony says

David, u need to get on anti depressants. The only person in the Closet was T.R, he was ashamed to be who he was, until he found a perfect avenue to get it out. Left to me, if he punched the living daylight out of Isaiah, he would have been my hero, but no, he had to follow the stereotype and cry on Ellen’s couch, that the mean ugly black man used the F*&got word about me. When he did get an apology from the mean black man, he realized he was now a man and he chose to be the mean gay man, and demand his head on a platter. Left to me, I dont like any of the two of them, frankly they should fire everyone on the show and cast me as the lead. Italians are always typecasted as gangster, I too want to be a doctor.

60. desi says

amen to geoff and tony…apparently in david’s world, crying and sobbing equals “a gay man fighting back”. Can you imagine what would have happened if Washington had said the comment to Knight’s face?! T.R. would be sobbing and weeping nonstop for weeks on end. way to stand up T.R.

61. Dayo says

There is just one thing I dont understand, if someone answers a question that was asked with an explicit term, does it mean he used the term. If someone asks me, “Did I call Sam a Nigger.” And I reply, “I did not call Sam a Nigger.” Does that mean I called Sam the N word or I answered the question.

62. Believeit says

David Ehrenstein,

You’re a racist. I didn’t know this before but I’m going to do my best to ensure everyone in the business knows this. How does that make you feel?

Well-Known Actress..