David Beckham | Football | News | Reality TV | Sports

David Beckham to Get Reality TV Series from Simon Fuller

Espn_beckham

Full yet?

Simon Fuller, the producer of American Idol has announced he'll spoon-feed the country even more David Beckham with a 13-part reality series on the British footballer called David Beckham's Soccer USA, which FOX reps promise will be "an insider's look at his performance with the Los Angeles Galaxy."

TV viewers were cool to his wife's reality TV debut, with only 5 million tuning in for Victoria Beckham: Coming to America.

Comments

1. Does this mean they'll take us into the locker room for an 'uncensored' look at David Beckham? (pleaseohpleaseohplease!)

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:05:46 PM

2. Oh, one other thing...I watched portions of the first portion of 'Victoria Beckham, Coming to America'. The show is basically boring and seems ever-so-scripted (yet trying to come off as 'reality'), but there is one part of the show that *has* to be seen. Victoria gets an invitation to attend a luncheon from a Beverly Hills neighbor. She arrives to find a group of late middle aged Beverly Hills matrons, all of whom have been Botoxed and Collagened (actually, probably Restylaned) to within a centimeter of their lives. The house is hideously overdone. The women are tacky. And then these women proceed to discuss David Beckham's reported salary. At one point, one of the women says, "It's *only* $125 million!" But the absolutely pinnacle moment of this part of the show is the woman who seems to think she's a mermaid. She is dressed all in blue (because that is a mermaid's color), carries a mermaid doll, and proceeds to demonstrate her dolphin call...a very high pitched screech that seems to go on forever (which I think is benefit of editing). It's hilarious. For those few moments, Victoria Beckham actually seems like a normal human being.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:18:12 PM

3. Yay! Yay! Yay!

Posted by: Ken | Jul 19, 2007 1:34:33 PM

4. Indeed, Peter, it reminded one of Katherine Helmond in "Brazil":

My antiemetic prescription having expired, I was only able to take a few seconds but did you notice Marla Maples among the gorgons? Too bad Victoria left before they made a date to discuss whether to steam iron or starch their paper money.

Posted by: Leland | Jul 19, 2007 1:41:26 PM

5. PETERPARKER, you're too funny! I never understood the fascination people have over the Bechkams but I'll check it out because of your comments!! LOL.

Posted by: Shabaka | Jul 19, 2007 1:48:14 PM

6. Marla Maples was there?! OMG, I have to watch it again. Victoria made some especially catty comments that I will enjoy hearing again ("They were great! I hope I'm just like that when I'm their age!").

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:50:19 PM

7. If you want to check it out, SHABAKA, follow Andy's link from yesterday's Towleroad Guide to The Tube...once you get to the link, it's about halfway through the third segment.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:54:36 PM

8. I am keeping a trove of Beck's pictures for if I am ever afflicted with erectile dysfunction, I won't need the blue pill.

Posted by: Marco | Jul 19, 2007 2:10:40 PM

9. I heart David Beckham

Posted by: Davey | Jul 19, 2007 2:11:42 PM

10. Oh, for God's sake. He hasn't even kicked the damn ball on the court for a real game, and we're already sick of him and his blow-up doll or a wife. Enough! (Still, he's so hot I can't stand it.) There's a funny article here on why no one on this side of the pond is paying attention to them:

Posted by: slylock fox | Jul 19, 2007 2:14:05 PM

11. He is SO damn beautiful!

Posted by: JT | Jul 19, 2007 4:29:01 PM

12. I'll be there with cleats on (a fetish I picked up in a berlin sports/sex club but that's another story): )

That's pretty funny Peter Parker. I am a lot less interested in Posh (okay, she is kind of a spectaular in secretly delicious ways) but she does appear to have a sense of humour about things - she is sure to be dissapointed by her reception here - nobody cares about the wives of atheletes in this country until after the messy divorce.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 19, 2007 6:13:31 PM

13. OH PLEASE! All past attempts to get Americans caught up in Beckham fever have fallen completely flat and his move to the States will not make things any different.

His form of popularity just doesn't cut it in the States for two simple reasons: (1) most Americans abhor the brand of "metrosexuality" embraced by Becks (even most gay--it was mostly a concept made up by the U.S. media) and (2) Americans are not crazy about soccer in large numbers (YET).

I would be very surprised if his paycheck pays off. As evidenced by the failure of his wife's reality show I doubt it will.

Posted by: Tony the Tiger | Jul 19, 2007 6:38:49 PM

14. He is god. She is goddess.

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 19, 2007 7:59:40 PM

15. MAKE THEM GO AWAY!

Please, Andy, don't contribute any more to this PR onslaught.

Posted by: cal | Jul 19, 2007 8:44:29 PM

16. Oh for chrissake...ok he's pretty but enough already. Sometimes this culture reminds me so much of high school.

Posted by: lwoolf | Jul 20, 2007 12:03:38 AM

17. She is my new obsession. I love him too, although he's really not my type. She is absolutely hilarious. Love her more than Paris, Lindsay, & Nicole now!

I just wish they HADN'T cancelled the other remaining 5 episodes. She's a better guilty pleasure than Big Brother. Very much "over-the-top", which I love. Kinda like a drug-overdose but you just can't help yourself.

Those women at the luncheon were a scream and a nightmare both together. No wonder she had to get drunk. It was so beyond camp it looked like something Liberace threw up. Was it for real? And I am CERTAIN that at least ONE of those "ladies" was a drag queen.....either that or she was just very VERY ugly with LOTS of makeup. They all looked like they bought out the makeup counters at Neimans....but were a scream. Anyone that could make Victoria squirm and shut up must be outrageous!

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 20, 2007 1:54:12 AM

18. English plastique comes to America. Victoria looks like a bobblehead doll and tatooed David looks like an English street thug, except they have lots of money. We really shouldn't care all this much.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 20, 2007 8:01:44 AM

19. If I watch the show, it has to be on mute.

Posted by: Steven. | Jul 20, 2007 11:12:45 PM

20. That's it, I officially cry "uncle"! I don't want to see the Beckhams any more! Enough is enough already. I even kind of like him, but it's all too much.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Jul 23, 2007 2:07:13 AM

21. If we keep David Beckham in a "gay" icon perspective, we miss the reason he's been the highest paid footballer in the world.
    When he's on the pitch, Beckham's team will make amazing plays, not just Beckham. When you think of how many hundreds of million soccer/football players there are in the world, to be qualified to play on a top European or English team means you're a better player than all those others.

He doesn't snarl at fans or photographers, nor are his public interviews a display of arrogance or boredom.

He's a very hot man (to me anyway) in a very public job in professional sports, always has been. He wins lots of games with his team mates. His image sells lots of things, as does hers. Blame advertising account managers, not the Beckhams, if you will. Paparazzi and advertisers are the force behind the Beckham Blitz in LA.

That Beckham smile, however, is contributing a lot to global warming.

Posted by: PeterSM | Aug 14, 2007 10:32:11 PM