Kanye West: Still Not Gay

Kanye West continues to address his heterosexuality, in an interview with the UK’s Manchester Evening News:

Kanye_west_2“Speaking out against hip-hop homophobia, some people were like ‘Oh, Kanye must be gay! Look at the way he’s dressing! And why would he speak about it? He’s a gay rapper’,” he notes. “And my whole point is, I wouldn’t have spoke on that if I was gay or if I was in the closet. I would have stayed so far away from it. And I’m still homophobic myself to certain extent. You know, I wouldn’t go to a gay parade and feel comfortable. I wouldn’t ever to a gay club or something and just be chillin’ and grab a drink. It’s being in the entertainment world, I meet so many different gay people who are actually nice people. Where I came from, Chicago, being black and being a hip-hop artist, we used to really disrespect gay people. And the thing is, we can’t get close to them with a 10-foot pole. And I realised, ‘wow, how ignorant has this been?'”

Kanye West: The Big Interview [manchester evening news]

You may have missed…
Kanye West and Ne-Yo: We’re Not Gay! [tr]

Comments

1. Becks07 says

That’s OK because, to be honest, you know, I wouldn’t go to a black parade and feel comfortable. I wouldn’t ever (sic) to a black club or something and just be chillin’ and grab a drink.

So it’s all good.

2. Adam Vanderlip says

what a breath of fresh air. thank god we have someone in the hip hop community willing to say this. nobody has ever said anyone has to be comfortable around gay people, all we’ve ever asked is that you realize we are human beings and should be treated as such. Kanye West deserves praise for being able to be honest and forthright.

3. gabriel says

I just can’t stand him anymore

why this sudden need to call himself a homophobe? just cuz someone called him gay? so now he can distance himself from the whole thing?

4. nineinchgirth says

i could care less if Kanye feels comfortable in a gay club or not. it is way too often that we as black gay guys have to choose which side we’d like to defend to the public when pressed…what i do care about is him even having the balls to say gay and hip hop in the same sentence and back it up. i’m gay and even i’m a little homophobic at times, who isn’t? let kanye try to sell his records…if you don’t like him, don’t buy them. period.

5. Brian says

I kinda respect Kanye for admitting that he still has homophobic tendencies. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step toward overcoming it. How many people do we all know who would never acknowledge their own biases against people of other races, against women, against other gay people, against immigrants, etc? I think he’s just being honest, which is refreshing. The more chances straight people get to talk about GLBT issues in an honest and open way, the more we’ll all move forward on this issue.

6. Giovanni says

Personally I think you should give the guy a little more credit – he has a long, long way go and he stumbles quite frequently but at least he is publicly taking the walk. Constantly ridiculing him is not going to bridge the gap between gays and hip hop and it’s not as if , as former national magazine editors, your hands are completely clean when it comes to issues of diversity/ inclusion and commerce (ex Lewis Payton and the colorless rainbow).

And Becks, that and bag of chips will get us exactly where we are now. This idea that the “other” has to do all the work is counter productive and just plain lazy. I’ve spent most of my life being the only “one” in the room – and yeah sometimes it sucks but if I took the easy way out and decided not to go then there would be no one like me there at all and everyone would be free to pretend that I didn’t exist at all. My suggestion is you go to a black gay club – cuz you know they are not mutually exclusive identities.

7. charlie says

have you heard his new single that samples the daft punk song and his various gay-ish references (“me-likey”, vuitton and so on). the man’s trying. his stance is a very different one from eminem and 50 cent, wouldn’t you say?

8. Derrick from Philly says

“…we used to really disrespect gay people…”

BECKS07 and others: what kind of gay people do you think Kanye is talking about here? What kind of gay people did he and other Rappers see, hate, bash growing up in their old neighborhoods? When black Rappers scorn “faggots” they see a black face, not a white one.

Somehow the issue of the black homophobes’ race has to be used in these discussions, with no concern over whether the comments are offensive to black gays. I’m not really sure that the idiotic comments from black homophobic rappers, preachers, public figures, etc. should be the concern of white gays. Black gay bashers would have to go to another neighborhood–another part of town to get to y’all; they can just come out the front door to get me.

If an Irish Catholic public figure said something about “faggots”, I would not use his Irish Catholic ethnicity to counter his insult. If I did…Lord, what kind of response would I get here on Towleroad?

9. TexasChiick says

I give him some credit because if I was a straight male I wouldn’t wanna be in a gay club either. I mean think about it, being hit on by gay guys.

And to Becks07 your a dumbass how could you compare a gay parade to a black parade? I’m black and I’m telling you right now if we see a white person or anybody from another race, we could really careless. Black clubs keep it crunk and so do gay clubs. But i get what your saying I wouldn’t want to be at your KKK meeting either so it’s all cool.

10. dan says

becks —
    either you are a racist or you are trying to say that being gay and being black are pretty much the same thing. either argument is idiotic, so please just keep your mouth shut before someone puts a boot in it.
    thanks
    dan

11. Becks07 says

DERRICK — I forgot, radio airwaves carrying black hate speech stop at the borders of black neighborhoods so no white would ever hear that stuff. Sorry, my bad. You buffoon.

TEXAS — Somebody piss on your yellow roses today? My point is that I don’t need Mr. West to hang out at gay bars or go to gay parades to make me happy — that’s a red herring, anyway, as the percentage of average straigh Americans who go to those things is perilously low. And same for whites — how many white people go to bars that predominantly identify as black or to community celebrations that identify as black? Do you trip over crackers evertytime you try to go to a Kwanzaa celebration? Probably not…

The bar I hold people to is this one: are you actively promoting the hatred and destruction of a type of people? I say that Jamaican dancehall, some rap, etc., most certainly does this, so I demand it stop.

Just as I would demand that Mr. West be allowed to vote, marry, have a job, a home, etc.

He and other rappers don’t need to hang with me and I don’t need to hang with them. Just quit fucking up my shit.

Thank you.

12. yeahisaidit says

…i have to point out just for reference sake, you can be as straight as you want and go into a gay bar and no one will hit on you…IF YOU ARE NOT HOT in the first place…! just because a person is homosexual it does not mean that they want to sleep with each and every guy…besides the measure of someone’s character is being able to deal with all kinds of people (especially if you expect people to deal with you) …so, straight in a GAY bar and you do get hit on, duh…be flattered, don’t assume you’ll be raped, and then politely refuse…unless the price is right…!

13. says

When Kanye first spoke out against homophobia in the hip hop community I was like “good on him!”, but it’s pretty lame that in order to convince everyone how straight he is he feels like he has to be like “actually I’m homophobic. you won’t find me at no gay bars or gay pride parades.” If he really isn’t gay he should just ignore these rumors, be like “I’m not gay, but it’s cool if you are” and like date chicks. Also maybe stop dressing like a clown (not because of the gay rumor — just stop!) And I agree black clubs are awesome.

14. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, Becks07, you forgot that you don’t give a flying fuck about black hate speech that is directed at black gays. So don’t pretend you do. It just gives you an excuse to unleash your hatred of blacks–gay, straight, snow queens even. You pomp…no, I’m not going abuse Andy’s hospitality by resorting to name-calling…oh, why not? You pompous bitch.

15. TexasChiick says

Becks~I hate the color yellow, so if someone pissed on them I could careless. I’m not saying anything negative about gay men because I love them. My best friend is gay and I love gay clubs and gay parades and the whole nine. I guess I can kind of understand where your coming from not really but I can try. I do think what Kanye said about he didn’t know there were so many nice gay people is dumb, but at least he’s making an effort to befriend gay men. Now what you said about not being comfortable at a black parade or black club was not totally valid. For one I personally try to make everyone feel comfortable where ever I’m at. I don’t celebrate Kwanzza, that’s for damn sure. But now that you have explained your point I do think what I said is ignorant, but on that same note maybe you should try and go to a black club, not a parade, their a little dull. You might just have fun. And I am a strong supporter of the LGBT community, and I do hope that you do not base your thoughts of what black people think about gays on what Kanye said.

16. Becks07 says

DERRICK — LOL. Wow…

To quote myself: “Going to gay clubs and attending gay parades is not the bar I hold Mr. West to — or any other individual of any color. The bar I hold people to is this one: are you actively promoting the hatred and destruction of a type of people?”

Anyone with two brain cells (that are still dividing) will see that there’s no asterisk here that denotes “except for blacks.” Don’t change the subject by throwing a deck of race cards in my face (all jokers, by the way). You bet your ass I am against black-on-black hate speech, but the color is not the issue…it’s the fact anti-gay sentiment is shared in ALL communities of color to too much of a degree.

What happened to your brotherly love baby? Ohmmmmm….

17. Becks07 says

TEXAS — I sense a diplomatic thaw :-)

My point was somewhat exaggerated…of course I have hung out at “black” clubs (Paradise Garage on King Street in 1984 being the eye opener of all eye openers to how great it can be to hang where the music is amazing and the people don’t dance like your white mom and dad LOL)…I was trying to say I don’t spend a lot of time hanging in them and don’t need him to hang in mine — the bottom line is we shouldn’t be fucking with each other’s dignity and peace of mind.

I hope you are not drowning in Houston or baking in Dallas. :-)

Have a good weekend.

18. Giovanni says

A truly chill person will not only party/hang with anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world but also revel in the differences/new experiences. Become the change you seek!!

19. please help says

@ Becks
    I’m a black hetero woman and I see where you were coming from on your first comment. People are so PC that when someone is honest they’re condemned. I just want to let you know that I got the point of what you were trying to say. As a black, I’m not offended. I don’t think you were trying to be offensive. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    TV has a lot to do with our perceptions of one another. Read more.

20. says

Kanye, boo…That sweater needs to go! Oh and we all suffer from a little bit of homophobia, str8 or gay. Thanks to two millennias of ridiculous religious indoctrination. Other than that, we’re pretty much doing a good job. I applaud you though for realizing “how ignorant has this been?'”

21. Brandon says

Ok, Kayne didn’t say what I would have wanted him to say, but can we be a little generous and understanding. I cannot remember the last time a popular, male musician spoke out about antigay prejudice. I’m not saying let’s do a dance, but let’s give the guy props for trying to move the ball forward.

22. don't be so dumb says

@please help.

“As A Black” is such a dumb, idiotic, moronic, retarded, offensive thing to say. perhaps you should take your own advice about reading more.

23. Derrick from Philly says

Becks, darlin': I done my share of brotherly love back in the 70’s and only contracted one STD…just one time!

I understand (kinda’) that when we get on this subject of anti-gay black public figures many white gays use what they consider a sort of “rhetorical device/technique” to shame them. In other words, “you blacks who complain about persecution ought to know how it feels and stop it!” or “look who’s bashing now after their 400 years of oppression.” I understand that y’all are using irony as a literary or rhetorical device when you do that. My question is, if you also know that it is offensive to black gays to use these devices, why do y’all keepa’ doing it? Is it worth dividing the gay community to use the plural “blacks” or “niggers” when chastising one black homophobe? It happens over and over again on this site: when a black poster comments on how we’re offended, we are immediately called “morons, buffoons, and such.”

You know I don’t like name-calling, Becks. I’m a sensitive kinda’ queen, and kinda’ on the genteel side…in a North Philly sorta’ way.

24. sugarrhill says

“it’s the fact anti-gay sentiment is shared in ALL communities of color to too much of a degree.”

Generalize much? Anti-gay sentiment doesn’t just exist in communities of color. White people can be just as ignorant.

25. Don't Mind The Bollocks says

As a black, Scandinavian, & Irish man, I lived in Chicago for 9 years. That’s like 80 years anywhere else and let me tell you, maybe the common ‘front’ is about ‘sissies’ and ‘faggots’ but there are more gay Chicagoans, Black ones for SURE, than you can shake a Polish sausage at. The irony is that Chicago, as the third largest metropolis in the U.S., might have three black gay bars. So, unlike NY & L.A., the Midwestern gays are doing it up at house parties and on their tourist-neglected streets. I have no beef with Kanye–despite the lispy drawls, corny rhymes, sharing a hotel room with John Legend, sampling his momma’s 45s & 78s and he’s nowhere near as label-queeny as Puffly Diddy—-just think it’s hilarious that Chicago is supposedly this bastion of pure hetero male sexuality. Please. They just keep it on the down-low, corn belt style. Don’t believe the hype.

26. Christine says

I never wish this on anyone, to grow up thinking someone is so “immoral, wrong, disgusting” that when you meet this type of person your surprised to find out the exact opposite. They are normal people, but for most I see this is how its got to be.
    It’s not enough to just have ppl “treat you like a human”, respect is diffrent. Anyone can treat you like a person while pretending you don’t exist. I’m glad to see Kanye is making the change from disrespect and phobia to tolerance and understanding. But that’s still not close to respect and appreciation. I’m glad he can TALK about it too.
    On a diffrent side ,he seems to be such a conflicted artist, but that’s for anoter post.

27. sean says

hey! i’m extremely offended! both my white parents have a lot of rhythm! and they can jump, too! oh, and if kanye wants to emphasize to the world that he is indeed het., then he should always be photographed wearing those sunglasses cuz no self-respecting gay boy would be caught dead in them… except of course for sir elton.

28. Becks07 says

SUGARRHILL — I see where I could have been more clear — I meant “white” as a color, too. So, bottom line, ALL people of ALL colors (‘cluding bianco) have too much anti-gay sentiment.

DERRICK — I don’t follow what you are talking about at all, but as long as you know I don’t hate you and I know you don’t hate me, I’m willing to call it a day.

29. says

At least this time he didn’t add “And I still don’t support gay marriage” like he did last time. Although he has yet to take it back. And it does irk me, I’ve supported equality for all since I was a small child in the 70s. I don’t have a lot patience for a full grown adult who still says they’re mulling the concept over. He admits to still being homophobic as if that admission is an excuse to continuing being homophobic. “Hey, at least I spoke out about it, at least I admit I’m still homophobic. Now leave me alone with my homophobia and don’t judge, while I judge you to be undeserving of marriage equality.”

30. says

While “I could care less” is a solecism, it doesn’t bother me as much as spelling it “I could careless” does. Anyway, “I could care less” is actually pretty funny “slanguage” to me, b/c it almost suggests you care so little that you won’t even bother to use the phrase properly. I couldn’t care less if people leave out the “not”, but combining the “care” + “less” irritates me.