Carol Channing | Crime | Los Angeles | News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Carol Channing's "Diamond Dress" in Hollywood Heist

ChanningA "diamond dress" worn by Carol Channing in the stage production of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (see photo) was stolen from the 86-year-old actress as she checked in to the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel yesterday afternoon, TMZ reports:

"The valuable garment, which originally had long sleeves, was scheduled to be photographed and then sent to the Smithsonian to be exhibited. Luckily, her 1964 Tony award for 'Hello Dolly,' which she is also donating to the museum, was in another bag. She's currently rehearsing for a performance this weekend at the Hollywood Bowl. When asked how Carol was doing, he said, 'Carol refuses to focus on the negative. It affects her work.'"

Police are seeking a "person of interest" who was captured on one of the hotel's security cameras.

UPDATE: Carol speaks (and sings)!

You may have missed...
Publicist: Carol Channing Loves Her Gay Fans and Friends [tr]
Carol Channing: Gays May Not Be a Girl's Best Friend [tr]

Comments

1. Gotta love Carol! Best of luck on the return of the dress.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Sep 14, 2007 9:30:53 AM

2. I hope they catch the thief and hang him! ... well, maybe that's a bit strong. I just ADORE (!!!!!) Carol Channing. She's an amazing comedic actress but MUCH more important she's an incredibly nice person. She visited Atlanta several years ago and stopped into a bar that I frequent. Many years ago she was interviewed by an ex of an ex of mine and my ex attended the interview. She went out of her way to be polite and acknowledge him. He said she was one of the classiest women he'd ever met.

Unlike another [gay??] celeb... I won't mention names but little Edith Ann couldn't even be bothered to thank a couple of lesbian friends who had waited backstage to give her flowers.

To bad there aren't any Carol Channings in today's group of celebutants.

Posted by: Dean | Sep 14, 2007 9:36:44 AM

3. I met CC when I was 13 in Orlando and she was a doll. A true performer, a class act, even a hot ticket!

Posted by: hicky | Sep 14, 2007 9:46:19 AM

4. Carol Channing is the real mcCoy... bless her sweet heart !!

Posted by: A.J | Sep 14, 2007 10:18:45 AM

5. Is this english?

"No doubt Carol wants the dress with her best friends all over it returned quickly."

Posted by: GrammaQueen! | Sep 14, 2007 11:38:33 AM

6. this is from DNA magazine:

date: 20-Nov-2006

Once considered a gay icon of the campest degree, Carol Channing seemingly struck out against the gays last week, saying of her gay fans in a recent interview:

"I don't think about them. I'm grateful that they seem to like me. They're terribly loyal to me. But I'm knee-deep in the Bible and you know what it says about that."

Continuing her rant, she then went on to speak about her views on gay rights:

"I don't think about [gay rights]. If they can't take care of their own problems, why should I bother? It's not my problem. At one time there were seven men doing me in Las Vegas. I began to wonder if I had a glandular problem. But you know that the Bible says that that's not the way it's supposed to be."

i say fuck her.

Posted by: nic | Sep 14, 2007 11:39:29 AM

7. gramma,

"best friends" = diamonds. are you ragging on andy for a missing comma and (maybe)quotes? oh no you d'int!

Posted by: nic | Sep 14, 2007 11:45:29 AM

8. Carol is legendary for tearing shreds out of gay cast members in her productions. 'Minimal tolerance' would be putting it nicely.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 14, 2007 12:12:55 PM

9. Mike, given her longstanding support of the gay community, Ithink if you're going to make charges like that you should site specific incidents.

Posted by: db | Sep 14, 2007 2:09:01 PM

10. Who is she? Sorry. I'm all caught up in the Britney saga these days.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 14, 2007 3:20:14 PM

11. Nic, you obviously only read that and didn't follow up. The whole issue was shown to be about a reporter trying to make a name for himself by trashing her. He misquoted her and went out of his way to fluster her. She's always been supportive of gays. I didn't believe it when I read the interview and I still don't.

Posted by: db | Sep 17, 2007 1:40:15 PM