California | Gay Marriage | News

I Now Pronounce You Trent and Greg

One of our readers, Steven Tagle, pointed us to this documentary short he recently produced for Current TV on a young gay couple, Trent and Greg, who hope to get married.

Though its title resembles that silly Adam Sandler flick, the message is certainly more genuine.

Comments

1. Wow. I want gay marriage now just so people like this can marry. Truly amazing to see people in such love. You can't fake that...props to the producers of this short film.

Posted by: nathan | Dec 17, 2007 3:52:11 PM

2. Great doc. I have to say my first thought was, "OMG, they're way too YOUNG to be talking about marriage." But I guess straight people get married much younger. I hope the two of them have a long and happy life together, and that their relationship helps to help the people around them understand what love is between two members of the same gender, and that it's not particularly different from the love between two different gendered folks.

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Dec 17, 2007 3:59:41 PM

3. Congrats to them

BUT the early 20's and getting married. Not wise for gay or straights.

A lot of change comes between the early 20's and 30's

Congrats to them anyway, and hopefully they beat the statistics which show that marriages later in life last longer by far for more people.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 17, 2007 4:00:54 PM

4. What a nice little short. I think their friend has some reasonable issues and concerns, and he sounds willing to at least let his real life experience affect his thoughts on the subject. I always figure gay marriage isn't about making every church or even government recognize any particular marriage, but if they want to embrace and welcome all people they should be able to do it unfettered. Congrats to these two, and let love guide them along--not someone else's idea of what is the proper age or occupation or orientation or religion of whom you should marry.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 17, 2007 4:09:29 PM

5. Very sweet and inspiring!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Dec 17, 2007 4:11:29 PM

6. I think that little short made my day, if not my entire week. Hopefully we will all be so lucky to find something like that.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 17, 2007 5:12:58 PM

7. Actually Obama has more experience than Hillary if you count his state senator time. that is based off of 1st lady experience isn't more than redecorating the white house, planning state dinner menues, etc.

Hillary's 1 governmental thing/ experience during her years as first lady = universal health care, failed miserably.

Bill also forgot to mention that senator Obama has more foreign relations experience now than Bill did when he entered the white house.

He also forgot to mention that many campaign workers have had to be let go for a multitude of reasons which shows that either hillary's so-called experience = failure or at least inability to manage a campaign.

Bill also said during the above interview that "it would be a miracle if she wins iowa" He doesn't have much faith in his wife's campaign.

Full disclosure
    Obama is not my 1st choice, but he appears to be the anti-hillary at the moment. My first choice is the anti-hillary bush clitnont repub lite.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 17, 2007 5:25:36 PM

8. woops

wrong thread

:-)

But on the subject

Tim, the divorce rates decrease as one's age when one marries increases. reality is! deal with it

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 17, 2007 5:28:00 PM

9. I commited to my husband in my twenties and over sixteen years later we are still together, committed and completely in love.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that it's too early to marry in one's twenties. It really depends on the individuals, the strength of their relationship, their maturity and their commitment to each other.

Congrats to these young men. Best wishes.

The friend will come around. He has a lot of baggage to sort through but he'll be OK in the end.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 17, 2007 6:05:22 PM

10. Good for you Zeke.

You are in the minority

What I said was not that nobody should marry young. Just that it is unwise and the statistics are staked against those who do marry young. That is for straight couples, the statistics (if we were allowed to marry in the first place) are probably even more stacked against young gay couples due to not as much cultural / societal support for gay couples when they have problems.

:-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Dec 17, 2007 6:17:27 PM

11. After one of those days when everything seemed to go wrong it was great to see these two so much in love, made me smile and saved my day. I wish only the best to Trent & Greg.

Posted by: chris i | Dec 17, 2007 7:48:02 PM

12. Congrats to them. I first started dating my husband when I was 20...its been 11 years.

Posted by: JB | Dec 17, 2007 9:15:22 PM

13. omg who cares about statistics, that is so stupid. Statistically most people will not end up with a high-paying career that they are deeply fulfilled by, so why bother even trying. Statistically more marriages will end up in divorce than success. So let's not even get married.

Posted by: Oscar | Dec 17, 2007 9:41:10 PM

14. Hmm, let's calculate the statistical probability of my marriage being a success! How romantic. What are you, a math teacher?

It's not a business transaction for god's sake. I think when you meet the right person you will know they are the one. If it doesn't work out that's really unfortunate but it's not the end of the world, and at least you gave it a chance.

Posted by: kyle in boston | Dec 17, 2007 9:45:35 PM

15. Statistics are only applicable to populations, not to individuals.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 17, 2007 10:02:32 PM

16. I believe it is important to see more young gay and lesbian people planning life-long relationships. Too often we see young people falling into the trap of going from boyfriend to boyfriend or girlfriend to girlfriend. Greg and Trent are planning their wedding. That is important. Many heterosexuals are planning their weddings at a young age as well. 21 & 23 is not too young to get married. If you are mature and you have your mind made up that you want to be with someone for the rest of your life and ready to enter into that serious covenant - that is something between those two individuals and God. This is a very good short - one that needs to be shared. Instead of calling it Gay Marriage - let's just call it marriage. A rose by any other name....

Posted by: Rev. Thomas Squiers | Dec 17, 2007 11:29:40 PM

17. People in love just put a smile on my face. I hope they live a long happy life together.

Posted by: Ray | Dec 18, 2007 12:12:16 AM

18. People in love just put a smile on my face. I hope they live a long happy life together.

Posted by: Ray | Dec 18, 2007 12:12:38 AM

19. If Nathan really wants to live his life like Christ, he needs to read his Bible a little more closely. It would show him that Jesus Christ never said one thing against homosexuality.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 18, 2007 5:14:17 AM

20. I have no patience for the happy couple's ignorant "friend" who is so torn about whether to support them. Fuck that guy.

Posted by: Miles | Dec 18, 2007 6:17:14 AM

21. Zeke, Looks like you and I are in the minority. Congrats Bubba! You and the hubby are both fortunate men to have each other.

I too committed to my partner in my very early twenties (full disclosure: after "dating" with abandon for three glorious years) and we just celebrated our almost thirtieth anniversary. I wouldn't, however, advise most of my friends to marry so young. I agree with Jimbo (^5). Great change usually occurs in the twenties--especially for gay men. It is not uncommon for us to experience our gay adolescence (dating years) after coming out in our twenties. I firmly believe that one must date the person one thinks is "the one" in order to realize that, "that ain't it, kid, that ain't it".

I've always been accused of being an "old soul" even when I earned the sobriquet of "Baby Whore of the West Side". I am fortunate that I came out in the late seventies in Manhattan where I explored the full range of sexuality and gay men. Otherwise, I might not have realized that my life partner really was (and remains) my perfect complement.

Mazel Tov to Trent and Greg. I hope and pray that (and am working to enable) they get their wish.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 18, 2007 8:47:09 AM

22. "It would show him that Jesus Christ never said one thing against homosexuality."

Jesus also never said anything against cannibalism. He did, however, preach against marriage.

Posted by: Mike B. | Dec 18, 2007 10:34:36 AM

23. What a cute young couple. Brought back memories of my youth. I too hope that they can get married in CA and if not..then they need to move to MA, where marriage is legal and recognized.

It is great to see a young couple such as this in love and wanting what any other young couple wants.

I have been w/ my husband 11 years and married 4 of those years. Being married does make a big difference on so many levels.

Posted by: Doyle S. | Dec 18, 2007 10:46:42 AM

24. Hi all,

Thanks for your kind comments about my documentary, "Trent and Greg." I recently entered the doc in the Project Pushback competition and hope that you will support it by registering on Vimeo and voting for it. The 10 videos with the most votes by June 15 move on to the final round of judging!

Here's how:
    1. Create a free user account on http://vimeo.com/sign_up.
    (Please note, you must have a Vimeo account in order to vote.)
    2. Vote for "A Friend's Take" (http://vimeo.com/4957872) by clicking the heart-shaped "LIKE" button in the top-right corner of the video screen.

I'd really appreciate your support.

Thanks,