David Burtka | Magazines | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Relationships

Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka: A First for US?

Us_mag

One of our readers forwarded us a scan from the latest (December 10) issue of US magazine and says he thinks this is a first for the publication: "I was really surprised to see the attached item in the latest US Magazine. I always read US when I'm getting my hair cut and it's normally a magazine where gay doesn't exist. (Which is ironic since Jann Wenner owns it.) Anyway, this is a first. I hope this is the start of a change in that direction."

Whether it's a first or not, it's nice to see.

Comments

1. Awwww! So romantic. And true.

Posted by: shane | Dec 6, 2007 1:18:42 PM

2. This is great, but definitely not a first. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've gotten US Weekly for the past three years. They have been unflaggingly positive in their coverage of out gay celebs.

When Lance and Reichen were dating, US covered them EXACTLY the same way they covered other celebrity couples.

Sorry if I sound like I'm shilling for US Weekly (and I have no reason to think other tab mags aren't just as gay-positive) but I have always been really impressed at their treatment of gays.

Posted by: Zach | Dec 6, 2007 1:23:14 PM

3. who woulda thunk during the shrub's admin. that people might say, "good on them." and, maybe, "they're a beautiful couple?"

Posted by: nic | Dec 6, 2007 1:33:28 PM

4. That's awesome!

Posted by: Aman About Town | Dec 6, 2007 1:57:57 PM

5. This is great, and they are an awesome couple. However, Zach is correct, US Weekly did cover Lance and Reichen the same way. There was the cute photos of them in the stands at the US Open.

This is a first that they are covering a gay couple I care about.

Posted by: Dan b | Dec 6, 2007 2:07:55 PM

6. Indeed, N-P H and David Burtka are SO much more talented than Lance and Reichen.

Burtka's Broadway roles include Edward Albee's "The Play About the Baby" and the Bernadette Peters-starred revival of "Gypsy" where he played "Tulsa" (the most important gay role in the history of musical comedy.)

They've been a couple for years and haven't been in the closet about it. N-P H got Burtka a part on an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" (he played an ex-boyfriend of Alison Hannigan's "Lily" who tried to distrupt her wedding) this is what caught the eye of a Canadian gossip columnist and thus the evil Perez Hilton, who tried to make hay of it.

But these two are too good for that crap.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 6, 2007 2:18:17 PM

7. That's a great item. I beg to differ with Zach, above, who thinks US has been gay-positive. Our household has also subscribed to US for years and I have always been struck by the noticeable lack of gay inclusivity. In fact, I can't remember a single other item, including the Lance and Reichen item referred to. I'm not saying he's wrong, maybe it was there and I missed reading the issue that week or something. I would have remembered it. I always notice gay (male) items in the media and US has been very poor about including "us" at all.

Posted by: phil | Dec 6, 2007 2:34:21 PM

8. When did hella hot Burtka start using Zac Efron's hairdresser?

Posted by: 24play | Dec 6, 2007 2:36:39 PM

9. Phil: you obviously didnt read them very thoroughly because I know that Lance and Reichen were featured in articles almost exactly like the one above, at least 4 times, as I have them cut out and sitting in a drawer of my desk, lol.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 6, 2007 2:47:11 PM

10. NPH is, I think, turning it around from his awkward coming out last year--though he did get off to a good start with his actual statement chastising his own PR guy. He seems to be more comfortable going public, and taking Burtka to high profile events. Our "best face" at the moment? Probably.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 6, 2007 2:55:40 PM

11. Lance and Reichen were all over US Weekly plenty of times.

Next...

Posted by: michael | Dec 6, 2007 3:17:19 PM

12. The most exceptional thing about NPH is that (in my opinion) he is believable playing a straight character in the way that TR Knight isn't.

When I watch "How I Met Your Mother," which is weekly because it is genius, I never think about his real life as a homosexual. The exact opposite is true for TR Knight, where it is constantly on my mind. Perhaps it is because NPH is an amazing actor. I feel blessed that he is, like it or not, at the forefront of public gay figures.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 6, 2007 4:25:48 PM

13. I'm glad to hear US had Lance and Reichen items. Somehow I missed them. I read each issue cover to cover. Somehow I missed seeing one of them. I have a half dozen old issues laying around here (cover dates: Sept. 17,24, Oct. 8,15,22,29). I just looked through every single page and found no gay item whatever. I dare anyone to point out an issue date/number and page number of any other gay item. You'll be searching a long, long while. You'd never know gay existed by reading US.

Posted by: phil | Dec 6, 2007 5:13:18 PM

14. Why do you assume that Jann Wenner is inclusive of male-male relationships? His other magazine Rolling Stone has a track record of avoiding the discussion of gay male relationships, preferring instead to concentrate on lurid covers featuring women in various states of undress. I wouldn't pin my hopes on Jann Wenner when it comes to gay rights.

Posted by: jack | Dec 6, 2007 5:16:30 PM

15. Having gone to school with David Burtka, I can say he's incredibly sweet, and all I can say beyond that is I'm jealous of Neil Patrick Harris! ;)

Posted by: Luke | Dec 6, 2007 7:03:30 PM

16. JACK...are you aware of the fact that Jann Wenner is in a romantic relationship with another man?

Andy, do you think you could dig up a shirtless (or better yet, nude) pic of David Burtka? He is yummy deliscious!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 6, 2007 7:03:43 PM

17. I cannot tell you how much it gladdens my heart to see these two respectable (and respected), professional young men out and proud and obviously very happy together in public.

Posted by: Peter | Dec 6, 2007 10:49:53 PM

18. Phil: I just went and grabbed the only full issue of US Weekly I have around, an issue from August, and right there was another little article about Lance and the new guy he started dating after Reichen. Google Lance Bass and US Weekly together and multiple Reichen/Lance articles come up including ones about Reichen and Davis from Real World. Are you even reading the same magazine as the rest of us?

Posted by: Chris | Dec 7, 2007 12:03:13 AM