Dick Cheney | George W. Bush | News

George McGovern Urges Impeachment of Bush and Cheney

On Sunday, the Washington Post ran an op-ed column by George McGovern, the former South Dakota U.S. Rep. and Senator, and Democratic presidential nominee who lost the 1972 election in a landslide to Richard Nixon. McGovern calls for the impeachment of George W Bush and Dick Cheney:

Mcgovern"After the 1972 presidential election, I stood clear of calls to impeach President Richard M. Nixon for his misconduct during the campaign. I thought that my joining the impeachment effort would be seen as an expression of personal vengeance toward the president who had defeated me. Today I have made a different choice. Of course, there seems to be little bipartisan support for impeachment. The political scene is marked by narrow and sometimes superficial partisanship, especially among Republicans, and a lack of courage and statesmanship on the part of too many Democratic politicians. So the chances of a bipartisan impeachment and conviction are not promising. But what are the facts? Bush and Cheney are clearly guilty of numerous impeachable offenses. They have repeatedly violated the Constitution. They have transgressed national and international law. They have lied to the American people time after time. Their conduct and their barbaric policies have reduced our beloved country to a historic low in the eyes of people around the world. These are truly 'high crimes and misdemeanors,' to use the constitutional standard. From the beginning, the Bush-Cheney team's assumption of power was the product of questionable elections that probably should have been officially challenged -- perhaps even by a congressional investigation. In a more fundamental sense, American democracy has been derailed throughout the Bush-Cheney regime..."

More...

Why I Believe Bush Must Go: Nixon Was Bad. These Guys Are Worse [washington post]

Comments

1. "...lack of courage and statesmanship on the part of too many Democratic politicians..."

Praise the Lord! And my friends wonder why I have no passion for Obama, Clinton or Edwards. Because they're empty...no integrity, no sincerity. There won't be any more George McGoverns, Morris Udalls, Jimmy Carters, Walter Mondales, Bill Bradleys and JESSE JACKSONS anymore. They'll just be empty souls talking about "change". But I'll vote for one of the three Democratic stooges over the Republican anti-Christs any day.

And does my diatribe have anything to do with the above topic? No. I'm sorry.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2008 9:46:09 AM

2. Derrick,

I'm with you. Madison Ave. candidates is what they are. They're so afraid to be real people with real positions. My one hope is that this campaign face they put on belies real practices that will take place once they're elected. I don't watch the debates; they're all "yada, yada, yada". Best to take a look at how they voted--actions speak louder than words. If only the American people had done that with Bush, we might've had a real president.

I have an ultra-right acquaintance who has absolutely no interest in any of the rethuglican candidates (and of course, his political religion doesn't allow him to like Democrats at all, no matter what policies they stand for).

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 7, 2008 12:14:11 PM

3. Derrick,

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 7, 2008 12:15:09 PM

4. That's weird--I only posted once and it came up twice! How does that happen?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 7, 2008 12:16:27 PM

5. That's weird--I only posted once and it came up twice! How does that happen?

lol. i'm just messing with your head, woody.

Posted by: WOODROAD34 | Jan 7, 2008 6:40:03 PM

6. while what mcgovern said may be true, during this electian cycle -- which really started back in 2006 after the dems took tenuous control of congress -- neither side of the aisle is much interested in becoming embroiled in a lengthy impeachment process. and that may be to the good. this country cannot endure 4 or (shudder) 8 more years of repug leadership(?) nor more right-wing justices in fed. district courts and on the supreme court.

i agree that the u.s. can only be redeemed by bringing the war mongers and liars to task, but impeachment is not the answer now. perhaps they can be tried for war crimes later. i don't know.

WOODROAD34, i'm sorry. i'm the idiot that posted your "That's weird..." comment a second time. couldn't resist.

Posted by: nic | Jan 7, 2008 7:26:09 PM

7. Actually, there were congressional investigations into the 2000 election. There wasn't much to investigate because the election was decided in the supreme court.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jan 7, 2008 8:31:31 PM

8. Lee Raymond (ex Exxon) still is the driving force behind these crooks.

www.complexxon.org