News

BigGayDeal.com

AFA Ends Two Year Anti-Gay Boycott of Ford Motors

The American Family Association has ended its two-year boycott of Ford Motors, saying, in an 'Action Alert' from chairman Donald Wildmon to its minions: "The conditions of the original agreement presented in fall 2005 have been met. We reached the conclusion that Ford had met the conditions of the agreement based on monitoring for several months. Individuals are free to purchase Ford vehicles again."

FordprideAccording to the AFA's 'Action Alert', the original agreement contained four items:

"1. Ford would not renew current promotions or create future incentives that give cash donations to homosexual organizations based on the purchase of a vehicle.

"2. Ford would not make corporate donations to homosexual organizations that, as part of their activities, engage in political or social campaigns to promote civil unions or same-sex marriage.

"3. Ford would stop giving cash and vehicle donations or endorsements to homosexual social activities such as Gay Pride parades.

"4. Ford would cease all advertising on homosexual Web sites and through homosexual media outlets (magazines, television, radio) in the U.S. with the exception of $100,000 to be used by Volvo. The Volvo ads would be the same ads used in the general media and not aimed at the homosexual community specifically."

According to AFA, 780,365 individuals signed the boycott petition.

UPDATE: Ford is refuting the AFA's claims that anything has changed, according to JoeMyGod, who received this statement from the company: "The AFA has made its decision and is ready to move on. Our principles have not changed. We are committed to treating everyone fairly and with respect, including our dealers, customers and employees. Ford will continue to market its products widely to attract as many customers as possible and make charitable contributions to strengthen communities to the extent business conditions allow. Difficult business conditions in recent years have reduced our overall spending across the board."

As Joe notes, there has been no surrender by the motor company.

A copy of the alert, AFTER THE JUMP...

Afa

Comments

1. "Individuals are free to purchase Ford vehicles again." OK Thanks. I'll go get one RIGHT NOW! Thanks for letting me... asshole... Wildmon, indeed!

Posted by: virgoboy | Mar 11, 2008 12:36:23 PM

2. So now its our turn? If this is all entirely true, I hope Ford is looking forward to the loss of its gay and lesbian business. Isn't it the "pink dollar" that is supposed to not waiver through this recession, and they are turning their back on us? That was a great move. Ford is officially off my list for the car that I am in the process of buying right now.
    Shall we start a petition of our own with demands?

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 11, 2008 12:36:44 PM

3. hmmm . . . this has to be afa propaganda. i'm quite interested to see if ford responds . . . glad i bought a bmw!

Posted by: b_c_p | Mar 11, 2008 12:37:46 PM

4. why the fuck would i buy a POS car like a ford anyhow?

Posted by: alguien | Mar 11, 2008 12:42:54 PM

5. and don't forget about ford's other brands. lincoln, mercury, mazda, jaguar, land rover, and volvo. if this is true, i'm done with them all!

Posted by: B_C_P | Mar 11, 2008 12:44:22 PM

6. 1) Ford continually manufactures high horsepower, low gas mileage product lines.

2) Ford insists that every truck owner must drive a 4x4.

3) Ford would rather charge their R&D to come up with a better sounding radio than improve the over all product line.

4) Equivalent 2008 Ford Product line gets worse gas mileage than same models 5 years ago (look at the Expedition. I owned one, I know).

5) Ford routinely builds product obsolescence into the components so that the vehicle owner MUST either pony up big $$$ for repairs after warranty, or just cave and buy a new car. Ditto. I owned one, I know.

I know... I was a Ford person for most of my life. Can't stand the direction their product line took the past several years.

At least at GM, though struggling, they are placing their money where there mouths are on getting better fuel efficiency into their product line, and getting that product line to market. The Saturn Vue Greenline I bought is MARVELOUS, and the gas mileage is superb. THey got their collective stuff together.

So as for Ford... let the AFA buy the oversized, overpowered 4x4's that the ignorant inbred breeders feel they need to own.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 11, 2008 12:47:06 PM

7. Where is our petition so we can now tell Ford that they made a dumb mistake?

Posted by: Josh | Mar 11, 2008 12:47:23 PM

8. Ditto B_C_P ... I think I just made up my mind to go with the Audi... I feel like this is going to be another Microsoft thing...Denying us support, then jumping back on the bandwagon when they see it doesn't pay to cater to Christian organizations...Glad I already own all Mac products!

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 11, 2008 12:48:02 PM

9. AFA is nothing but propaganda. Joe has more here: http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2008/03/ford-statement-refutes-afas-claims.html

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Mar 11, 2008 12:50:09 PM

10. You know, I wonder if the AFA would be willing to publish the names of the 780,000+ "concerned citizens" who signed that petition. Just for fun, I'd love to see how many of them own Fords. I somehow doubt the sincerity of their commitment (other than their need to be committed).

Posted by: Joel | Mar 11, 2008 1:01:17 PM

11. A-Ha, very interesting what JoeMyGod discovered. Makes me think AFA thought they could get us all riled up by claiming Ford met their conditions. Its nice to learn Ford has a gay employee group...take that AFA! My family would never disown me for being gay, but they would disown me for buying something other than a Ford.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 11, 2008 1:02:20 PM

12. Why are you guys now saying let's petition Ford? This was an issue several years ago. That is when you should have been petitioning Ford. Let's face it, most gays are not cruising around in a Focus. Let the bigots have their pickups and Contours. I'll keep my Audi thank you very much.

Posted by: Britton | Mar 11, 2008 1:03:59 PM

13. I suggested the petition because,well, I didn't even know AFA started this boycott. But thanks to JoeMyGod, it sounds like there is no need for a petition anyway. I was about to purchase an Escape Hybrid...but now I'm questioning my gay-taste if all the other gays aren't cruising around in Fords. What exactly IS a gay car?

Posted by: Josh | Mar 11, 2008 1:12:56 PM

14. Please do a little research before reacting to AFA propaganda. HRC's Corporate Equality Index Score rates Ford at 100%. http://w3.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Search_the_Database&Template=/CustomSource/WorkNet/srch_dtl.cfm&srchtype=QS&searchid=1&orgid=1250

Posted by: jim | Mar 11, 2008 1:19:57 PM

15. I hate to break it to you Audi boys but Ford is more gay supportive than ANY German car company; ESPECIALLY Volkswagen/Porsche/Audi (the General Motors of Deutschland).

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 11, 2008 1:20:00 PM

16. I could have sworn I read that Ford originally caved, but then changed their mind and are advertising again in Advocated and Out.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 11, 2008 1:20:51 PM

17. No... no need to take any action against Ford. This is standard operating procedure for AFA (and their like) to declare victory when they have gained no ground at all - they have done this many times before.

Posted by: jtg | Mar 11, 2008 1:22:52 PM

18. Ford needs to do a press conference or a press release where it addresses each and every one of the claims by the AFA individually.

I'm not talking about a word parsing email to JoeMyGod but an official press release where there position on each issue is stated clearly and without double talk.

I know the AFA is a scam organization that will resort to ANYTHING to accomplish their goals (I was born in Tupelo Mississippi where they are headquartered), however I find this bold and public statement to be troubling. I find it hard to believe that even they would release a statement that could so easily be refuted by the company.

I'm also suspicious of Ford's VERY carefully worded statement to JMG. You can NEVER take these things at face value. You have to pay attention to their word play and how they parse words. I think the email to JMG was troubling in its wording.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 11, 2008 1:27:37 PM

19. The petition was meant to be more sarcastic, a vehicle to point out how ridiculous AFA is. Do you think that I would want to petition Ford to inundate me with more Ads for their products? No thanks.

Jim: Look into HRC...They aren't the all-inclusive be-all end-all authority on gay issues. They are fairly well intentioned, but consistently fall short on really important issues.

Finally, I'm not going to buy a car that spends more money on advertising for the gay audience, that is ridiculous. I don't think that corporations have an obligation to give money to gay organizations, but if they discriminate, they can count me out. So again...Audi it is.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 11, 2008 1:29:31 PM

20. "their" position...

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 11, 2008 1:31:01 PM

21. Well, it made WingNutDaily's top story:

Flinch! Ford finally bends, homosexual boycott over

Plus this nugget is available in their shop:

Ford's pro-homosexual policies all part of 'THE MARKETING OF EVIL'

"... Or that the "gay rights" movement – which transformed America's former view of homosexuals as self-destructive human beings into their current status as victims and cultural heroes – faithfully followed an in-depth, phased plan laid out by professional Harvard-trained marketers."

So many fascinating articles to choose from. Know thy enemy...

Homosexual-rights group's 'perfect' corporations
    'Gay-friendly' companies up 41%
    Corporate America gets 'gay'-friendlier
    Ford backs homosexual polygamy
    Family advocates to Ford: Stop funding 'gay' agenda
    New boycott of Ford considered
    America's pro-homosexual giants: 2006
    Corporate America snuggles up to 'gays'
    America's pro-homosexual giants: 2005
    Fired Allstate manager starts website
    Christian Exodus banned from Google ads
    Allstate on list of top 10 pro-'gay' firms
    Showtime sponsors homosexual 'pride' events
    Procter & Gamble boycott builds momentum
    Company offers 'gay' wedding planner
    Christian fired for 'anti-gay' Bible verses
    CBS television thrusting 'married gays' on public
    Corporations proud of 'gay' politics
    Kodak fires man over 'gay' stance
    Motorola seen promoting homosexuality
    Minute Maid: Popeye not 'gay' in O.J. ad

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Mar 11, 2008 1:39:35 PM

22. I love how they say 'Individuals are free to purchase Ford vehicles again.' Why thank you, American Family Association. It was getting awfully difficult

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 11, 2008 3:43:18 PM

23. Let's try this again:

I love how they say 'Individuals are free to purchase Ford vehicles again.' Why thank you American Family Association. It was getting awfully difficult to continue functioning in my daily life while being constrained by your rules and regulations.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 11, 2008 3:55:41 PM

24. Let's be honest: None of you were considering buying a Ford product in the first place. I would also guess that none of you knew that Ford reported a $12 Billion loss last year and that they are pulling in most of their old media advertising spending including those in queer mags etc. None of you also probably know that Ford offers full domestic partner benefits to their ENTIRE workforce, which is something that some of the companies that you WOULD buy a car from don't do. And BTW, if you were actually following this story from the beginning you would know that Ford INCREASED its ad spending and expanded the brands that they placed in gay mags right after the boycott.

Posted by: hitek3 | Mar 11, 2008 10:45:29 PM

25. are you guys stupid? the story is that the AFA boycott had NO impact. they claimed a hollow victory.

andy, you need to hire a "normal-to-idiot" translator.

Posted by: nic | Mar 12, 2008 2:41:42 AM