Election 2008 | Gay Slurs | Hillary Clinton | News | North Carolina

Clinton Taking Heat for North Carolina Governor's 'Pansy' Remark

North Carolina Governor Mike Easley is being criticized for the use of an anti-gay slur in his endorsement/introduction of Hillary Clinton today. In turn, Clinton is being criticized for standing by and saying nothing.

EasleySaid Easley: "This lady right here makes Rocky Balboa look like a pansy."

The Smoking Gun notes: "Easley's compliment, as it were, may offend some voters since the word 'pansy' is often used in a derogative fashion to describe a male homosexual. Or at least that's what it says in the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary on our shelf (we scanned the 'pansy' entry from page 828 and posted it below). Other dictionaries (Oxford, Cambridge, and Dictionary.com) offer a similar definition for 'pansy,' describing it as a 'disparaging' or 'derogatory' term for an 'effeminate or homosexual man.'"

The remark has already begun to reverberate across the blogosphere. More from ABC.

Watch Easley's remarks, which I've clipped, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Aw, but she's so loyal to her gays. How ever could this be?

Posted by: jeff | Apr 29, 2008 12:55:17 PM

2. If I'm not going to hold Obama culpable for the mistakes of Rev Wright, then I can't hold Clinton culpable for the misdeeds of this asshat.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 29, 2008 12:56:53 PM

3. Yah go ahead bloggers make news out of nothing....HOW ABOUT THE WAR or the ISSUES with our country ????? NO IT DOESN'T OFFEND ME ...This is BS created by the obama and bloggers with no news ...making drama out of a semi backless shot ...morons

Posted by: Bosie | Apr 29, 2008 1:01:19 PM

4. If I were standing next to Governor Easley and he made that comment I wouldn't have assumed it as a gay slander. Easly is a pretty benign guy and this connection is a stretch!

On another note...WHY are gay men taking offense at this word...aren't we offended by enough all ready. Let's just stick with being offended by faggot and maybe one or two others :)

Posted by: willnDurhamNC | Apr 29, 2008 1:01:48 PM

5. I'm gay, out, and even a hard-core Democrat, and I was NOT OFFENDED by that word. Even I use that word to describe people, male or female, or even my dog in the context of weakness. You guys are just too much, and need to get over it. Talk about HYPERSENSITIVITY! There are other issues on the gay agenda that deserve more attention, especially when everyone knows this wasn't meant as a slur against gays. This is just another example of the pro-Obama, anti-Hillary gays out there trying to make her look bad. SHAME ON YOU. Obama is just another Dukakis, and he will LOSE the general election.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 29, 2008 1:01:59 PM

6. I think some of us homos need to get a thicker skin. Give me a break!

Posted by: mike | Apr 29, 2008 1:04:04 PM

7. maybe it's a generational difference, but i don't view "pansy" as derogatory toward homos.

in high school we all called the soccer players "pansies," but more powerful names were used for homos like myself.

Posted by: tobethatguy | Apr 29, 2008 1:04:20 PM

8. Anyone offended by this IS a pansy. Let's keep the focus on substance.

Posted by: dc8stretch | Apr 29, 2008 1:05:40 PM

9. Ouch. I think some people, especially public servants, need to be more aware of the connotation of the words they use. My impression is that some straight people think that pansy is synonymous with wimp.

Posted by: Tom K. | Apr 29, 2008 1:05:46 PM

10. I think some of us homos need to get a thicker skin. Give me a break!

Posted by: mike | Apr 29, 2008 1:06:17 PM

11. blah.this is dumb! i'm not offended in the least.

Posted by: J | Apr 29, 2008 1:08:09 PM

12. Give me a break...nothing offensive was meant by that

Posted by: daveynyc | Apr 29, 2008 1:08:45 PM

13. People are being total pansies about this...

Posted by: Mike | Apr 29, 2008 1:11:33 PM

14. No offense taken here. I don't like Hillary, but this certainly isn't an issue I'd base that on.

Posted by: Chuck | Apr 29, 2008 1:12:19 PM

15. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Clinton camp probably would have come out and criticized Obama for not denouncing Easley's comments already. :rolleyes:

Posted by: Roger | Apr 29, 2008 1:14:11 PM

16. Give me a break...a one time intro using "pansy" is not offensive. A 20 year attendence at a "church" filled with hate towards all things American, including gays...that's offensive.

Posted by: Sim | Apr 29, 2008 1:21:19 PM

17. I'm gay, out, and even a hard-core Democrat, and I was NOT OFFENDED by that word. Even I use that word to describe people, male or female, or even my dog in the context of weakness. You guys are just too much, and need to get over it. Talk about HYPERSENSITIVITY! There are other issues on the gay agenda that deserve more attention, especially when everyone knows this wasn't meant as a slur against gays. This is just another example of the pro-Obama, anti-Hillary gays out there trying to make her look bad. SHAME ON YOU. Obama is just another Dukakis, and he will LOSE the general election.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 29, 2008 1:21:54 PM

18. I'm SO SICK of this blog's anti-Hillary rhetoric and tactics. You treat Hillary like a Bush Republican and forget that she is a strong Democrat who has a fantastic record in supporting Gay America. You love to criticize Hillary's negative tactics against Obama, but you, as an Obama surrogate, are MUCH MORE NEGATIVE towards her campaign and are the one's responsible for destroying the party.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 29, 2008 1:23:18 PM

19. Pansies are some of the very most sturdy plants in our yard!!!
    Those little guys live through the snow (2-3 feet of it at a time), the freezing and the worst weather imaginable. DON'T be offended by the comment. Here in the Alpine Northwest, those little biennials stand up to everything mother nature can dish out--and go on to propagate themselves merrily! And, they look pretty doing it.
    Call me a pansy any day!
    -Dan

Posted by: Daniel O'Neil | Apr 29, 2008 1:27:03 PM

20. I am an Obama supporter, but this is stretching it a bit.

"Pansy" He was using in connection with weakness not a derogatory anti-gay statment.

Obama 08

"Pansy" = nothing what so ever

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 29, 2008 1:27:14 PM

21. I'm not especially offended as a gay man by the Gov's comment, BUT I think it's stupid that a supposedly mature government official is using playground language. I think the same of all you gay boys who use the word too.

Posted by: db | Apr 29, 2008 1:30:20 PM

22. Absurd! And it matters not, because Obama is toast! Thank you "Rev." Wright !!!

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Apr 29, 2008 1:31:35 PM

23. He was a fool for using the term... but what politician isn't a fool? It's quite obvious he meant a "wimp." It's also quite a stretch to see something more.

Is this AmericaBlog or something?

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Apr 29, 2008 1:41:28 PM

24. "Gay" is used as an expression of weakness too.

Neither Hillary Clinton nor Barack Obama has anything to offer the LBGT communities save the view from the underside of the bus.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 29, 2008 1:44:27 PM

25. Much ado about nothing. I've never seen "pansy" as an anti-gay word, only a word that could be anti-gay if used in the wrong (or right, I suppose) context... just like any other word in the dictionary. Furthermore, it's clear in the context of the sentence that the word wasn't meant in any offensive way, whatsoever. He was just saying Hillary is tougher than Rocky Balboa... certainly misguided, but not offensive.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 29, 2008 1:46:44 PM