Drag Queens | News | Reality TV

Drag Queens Get Their Own Reality Competition

Rayalight

Drag queens now have their own reality show, hosted by RuPaul on LOGO, reports The Hollywood Reporter:

"'RuPaul's Drag Race' will feature contestants competing to become 'America's next superstar drag queen,' with RuPaul serving as host, mentor and judge. Online voters will help pick one of the contestants at RuPaulsDragRace.com. 'RuPaul's history-making turn as a groundbreaking glamour sensation opened the door for a new generation of drag superstars,' said Brian Graden, president of MTV Networks Music Group Entertainment and Logo. 'We hope to find the next one.' The hourlong, six-episode series is expected to debut on Logo's digital cable channel early next year. It's produced by World of Wonder, with Randy Barbato, Fenton Bailey and Tom Campbell serving as exec producers."

The show has a dedicated page to which drag queens submit photos, which are then voted on. Here's shot of all the hot tranny messes that made the front page of the site today:

Dragqueens

Comments

1. ugh.

Posted by: Michael W. | May 15, 2008 8:33:35 AM

2. Ever since the first few seasons of The Real World, I haven’t watched too much reality television.

Safe for the momentary lapse of judgment for watching Bravo's Next Top Model.

I guess I did fall in love with the last few seasons of Survivor, but I digress.

If it weren't for the fact that my conservative ass city will not let Logo on our cable network, I would be all over this.

Will the episodes be viewable on the internet?

Posted by: Nite In Shining Armour | May 15, 2008 8:40:16 AM

3. Hulu.com

Sidereel.com

are both pretty decent sites that run tv shows. If they are going to air on the net, it will be at either or both of those

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | May 15, 2008 8:56:58 AM

4. I long for the old days of helmet hair wigs and creative drag names.

Posted by: Olive Yurdich | May 15, 2008 9:25:44 AM

5. I'm so over the "hot tranny mess" phrase. Actually, I never signed on to it.

Is "hot tranny mess" insulting to transgendered individuals? Just asking.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | May 15, 2008 10:09:38 AM

6. They look like most of the actual contestants on America's Next Top Model. :P

Posted by: Allen | May 15, 2008 10:16:50 AM

7. wow, thanks for showing my fierce pic, taken by the amazing Jose A Guzman-Colon, www.myspace.com/rockingjose!!

Raya Light

Posted by: raya light | May 15, 2008 11:25:59 AM

8. Olive- yup, lots of transgender folks find 'hot tranny mess' pretty gross.

Posted by: imogen | May 15, 2008 12:53:31 PM

9. Wow! Thanks for the great blog and for using my alter ego/Jose A Guzman Colon photo of Raya Light.Oh and by the way...Vote for us all on Rupauls Drag race ")...OX...Putanesca

Posted by: Putanesca | May 15, 2008 3:35:49 PM

10. Thanks for getting the word out about this competition! San Francisco's queens are going to tear it up! Don't forget to vote at http://rupaulsdragrace.logoonline.com/people/ArtemisChase

Posted by: Artemis Chase | May 15, 2008 3:43:49 PM

11. http://rupaulsdragrace.logoonline.com/people/chakakhanvict

VOTE FOR CHAKA KHANVICT!!!!!

Posted by: Stephen Zerance | May 16, 2008 12:48:10 AM

12. "hot tranny messes"

Yeah, that is offensive, especially considering these are drag queens, not transsexuals.

Sound more like something a "straight blog" would write ... very disappointing.

Posted by: Movie_Dearest | May 16, 2008 8:15:25 AM

13. When Mr. Paul was in Vegas recently, he made such a set of enemies like you aint nevah seen. He behaved in a manner that I can only guess he imagines a true "Diva" behaves in. And then got on stage and sang a truly vulgar "song".

No one cared.

That is until he screamed "Naomi" duirng "SuperModel".

Having said that, I LVE DRAG QUEENS THIS YEAR! They are the new Black.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jan 30, 2009 4:11:24 PM