California | Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Marriage | News

Ellen DeGeneres' Marriage Announcement

Ellenmarriage

Here's the clip of Ellen Degeneres announcing she's getting married on her show today. Ellen's partner, Portia de Rossi was in the audience.

Said Ellen: "Yesterday, the California Supreme Court overturned the ban on gay marriage. So I would like to say right now, for the first time, I am announcing that I am getting married...I’m so excited. It’s something that we’ve, of course, wanted to do, and we’ve wanted to be legal, and we’re very very excited."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's great news. Congratulations Ellen.

Posted by: dave | May 16, 2008 12:01:07 PM

2. Ellen is why Fundie efforts to put a ban on same-sex marriage into the California state constitution are dooemed to fail.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 16, 2008 12:06:23 PM

3. It's wonderful Congratulations from Spain!

Posted by: Fernando | May 16, 2008 12:16:09 PM

4. Andy,
    I can't access your "contact" or "tips" links at work, but I wanted to send you some links to two pictures and a video I took at the WeHo Marriage rally yesterday, in case you want to use them. I sent you some pictures from Pride 2 years ago, so I thought you might be interested again. Thanks! ~Matt from Debriefing the Boys~

Posted by: Matt from DTB | May 16, 2008 12:18:01 PM

5. we need more visibility like this!

Posted by: paul cabral | May 16, 2008 12:18:54 PM

6. It's also a reminder of why it is important for all of us who intend to marry and who will marry in the coming months to start telling people now--to be open about letting people we know how happy we are and how important this is to us. That education will be fundamental in defeating the proposition. Our equality is not something that should be hidden.

Posted by: Gianpiero | May 16, 2008 12:22:31 PM

7. Congratulations Ellen!

You are a national hero and treasure.

It's good to have you back as a public spokesperson for GLBT rights.

Your voice is powerful, influential and impossible to ignore or diminish.

Portia is one lucky girl!

Posted by: Zeke | May 16, 2008 12:50:16 PM

8. That is freaking awesome!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | May 16, 2008 1:01:40 PM

9. What a great and emotional moment for gay rights history, Congratulations and lots of happiness! Felicidades a las novias!

Posted by: Felix | May 16, 2008 1:21:16 PM

10. She should televise the ceremony and invite every big name in Hollywood and Washington. She'll show them support for gay marriage!

Posted by: qjersey | May 16, 2008 1:22:54 PM

11. this is a very good thing, but still, i don't understand why portia is sitting in the audience (clapping herself?) and not next to ellen. it just all comes off as very narcissistic and me-me-me-ish and i don't really imagine ellen that way (seriously).

Posted by: rouquinricain | May 16, 2008 1:58:04 PM

12. Congradulations Ellen!!!!!
    We the people need to hang in there tightly as a force to keep government from ever inposing anything against the gay community again. We deserve Equality.

Posted by: duane Harris | May 16, 2008 1:59:56 PM

13. Qjersey, I see where you're coming from, but those of us who followed "Arrested Development" (of which de Rossi was a major part) probably see Lindsay Bluth--I mean Portia de Rossi--as an actress who doesn't want to seem like she's building her career off of Ellen's fame, and so I can understand why she wouldn't want to feature herself on the talk show.

Obligatory "Arrested Development" references aside, this is a great day. I hope the housewives in Topeka who watch Ellen's show can bring themselves to be happy for the couple.

Posted by: golden.girls | May 16, 2008 6:24:34 PM

14. i don't think it's necessarily narcisisstic (sic) for portia to be in the audience and not on the couch. i think instead of a 'me, me, me' thing, maybe ellen didn't want to make such a big deal out of it. she wanted to say something about it but didn't want it to be all about them. besides, when have you ever seen Mrs. Leno or Mrs. Letterman or Mrs. O'Brien on their spouses' couches?

and so much for those who have complained that ellen hasn't been gay enough. ha!

Posted by: james | May 16, 2008 7:04:02 PM

15. I had a feeling someone would have to come on and say something negative about Ellen's announcement--I'm not sure I get Quinrin...(whatever)'s criticism. As a Californian I'm glad she did this--it puts a human face on the issue that some might never see, and from what I understand she's been talking about this for awhile.

Posted by: db | May 16, 2008 9:28:28 PM

16. wow, she did something gay...finally

Posted by: Zack | May 16, 2008 9:29:05 PM

17. How sweet that was. Congratulations to you both.

Posted by: Rafael | May 16, 2008 11:31:02 PM

18. Can't Ellen and Portia keep their snouts out of the spotlight for even one minute? The battle for gay marriage was not won by Ellen and Portia, it was won by an unknown, ordinary Californian by the name of Gaffney and his partner. I wish Ellen and Portia would just buzz off and let the accolades fall to where they deserve.

Ellen and Portia, you will have the chance to get married. But can you both just buzz off in the meantime?

Posted by: jason | May 17, 2008 2:08:48 AM

19. I agree with qjersy, I'm disappointed Portia wasn't on stage with Ellen when she made the announcement. Ellen didn't even mention her name, just putting the camera on her. It was very selfish of Ellen.

I believe Leno did have his wife with him on a show. So did Johnny Carson.

Posted by: poof | May 17, 2008 10:45:06 AM

20. Sorry, Qjersey. I was referencing Rouquinricain's post and accidentally used your name.

I don't really see why we have a minority here upset about DeGeneres making an announcement on her show. The Ellen DeGeneres Show is practically the first stop for straight celebrities to announce their engagements, pregnancies, etc. (Yes, I watch daytime TV. No judging.)

Also, it seems to me that Ellen is one of the only gay "friends" many in this country -- particularly those who live in the part located between California and New York -- have. Is it unfair that it takes the force of enormous celebrity to get certain people to recognize that we are humans, with human emotions and desires and rights? Of course it is. But when one considers the type of pull public figures have on our culture, I'm beginning to think their support is going to be essential to furthering our rights.

Posted by: Golden.Girls | May 17, 2008 5:53:27 PM

21. Just in case people don't realise, Portia is in the audience of every taping of the Ellen Show. They didn't just put her there for the engagement announcement.

Posted by: Ted C. | May 18, 2008 6:31:39 PM