Books | Kevin Sessums | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lambda Literary Award Winners Announced

MississippiThe winners of the Lambda Literary Awards were announced last night.

I just wanted to send out a congrats to our own Kevin Sessums, who took the award for Mens Memoir/ Biography for Mississippi Sissy. Other winners included Hero by Perry Moore for LGBT Children's/Young Adult, Henri Cole's Blackbird & Wolf for poetry, and Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman for Men's Fiction.

I've posted all the winners, AFTER THE JUMP...

LGBT ANTHOLOGIES

* First Person Queer, Richard Labonte and Lawrence Schimel (Arsenal Pulp Press)

LGBT ARTS & CULTURE

* The View From Here, Matthew Hays (Arsenal Pulp Press)

LGBT CHILDRENS/YOUNG ADULT

* Hero, Perry Moore (Hyperion)

LGBT DRAMA/THEATER

* Return to the Caffe Cino, edited by Steve Susoyev and
George Birimisa (Moving Finger Press)

LGBT EROTICA

* Homosex: 60 Years of Gay Erotica, Simon Sheppard (Running Press)

LGBT NONFICTION

* Gay Artists in Modern American Culture, Michael S. Sherry (University of North Carolina Press)

LGBT POETRY

* Blackbird and Wolf, Henri Cole (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)

LGBT SCI-FI/FANTASY/HORROR

* The Dust of Wonderland, Lee Thomas (Alyson Books)

LGBT STUDIES

* Between Women, Sharon Marcus (Princeton University Press)

BISEXUAL

* Split Screen, Brent Hartinger (Harper Collins Children's Books)

TRANSGENDER

* Transparent, Cris Beam (Harcourt)

LESBIAN DEBUT FICTION

* Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking, Aoibheann Sweeney (The Penguin Press)

GAY DEBUT FICTION

* A Push and a Shove, Christopher Kelly (Alyson Books)

jump to top of pge
WOMEN'S FICTION

* The IHOP Papers, Ali Liebegott (Carroll & Graf)

WOMEN'S ROMANCE

* Out of Love, K. G. MacGregor (Bella Books)

WOMEN'S MYSTERY

* Wall of Silence, Gabrielle Goldsby (Bold Strokes Books)

WOMEN'S MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY

* And Now We Are Going to Have a Party, Nicola Griffith (Payseur & Schmidt)

MEN's FICTION

* Call Me By Your Name, Andre Aciman (Farrar Straus Giroux)

MEN's ROMANCE

* Changing Tides, Michael Thomas Ford (Kensington)

MEN's MYSTERY

* Murder in the Rue Chartres, Greg Herren (Alyson Books)

MEN'S MEMOIR/BIOGRAPHY

* Mississippi Sissy, Kevin Sessums (St. Martin's Press)

Comments

1. The evening was a blast... who knew you could do so many things with a strawberry (on the dessert table, of course)!

Posted by: circuitmouse | May 30, 2008 5:44:57 PM

2. Congratulations, Kevin! I'll have to check it out one of these days...

I'm glad that Aciman won for "Call Me By Your Name". Most gay fiction today is awful - to be fair, that accusation can be levied against all genres - but "Call Me" is exquisitely composed and deserving of a wide readership.

Posted by: Kyle | May 30, 2008 5:47:00 PM

3. Congrats to Kevin. About "Hero," it feels like it won due to a lack of real competition (he said, not having read the other contenders). Really, I don't think anyone actually read it beyond the tagline. It was just so clunky and obvious and artless I almost demanded my money back. A real disappointment.

Posted by: Turtle | May 30, 2008 7:32:22 PM

4. Congratulations, Kevin. I read it and loved it. I'm 56, spent a lot of vacation time with Mom's relatives in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. I was a sissy (not effeminate, but a sissy) and the only liberal in the family starting when I was 10 years old. Thank you, Kevin.

Posted by: Gary | May 30, 2008 8:24:18 PM

5. Congrats to Kevin and his moving memoir!

Posted by: Jesse Archer | May 30, 2008 8:51:22 PM

6. Ugh, I can't believe Perry Moore won an award for his book. The guy wrote an article a while back that pointed out that gays are treated unfairly in comics, and while it was a decent effort, it was filled with so many innacuracies that he shouldn't have even bothered to write it if he was going to present it to unassuming people as "fact". Even worse, when I called him on it, he was pretty vapid, responding to things I never even said in my letter to him, as if he had skimmed through my writing and then added whatever he wanted to think I had said. I wish he would publish something worth being praised over, let alone winning an award over.

Posted by: kybarsfang | May 31, 2008 1:40:00 AM

7. Congratulations Kevin!

Posted by: Giovanni | May 31, 2008 7:32:33 AM

8. Thanks for writing about gay literature, Andy.

Posted by: 70x7book | May 31, 2008 7:32:59 AM

9. Congratulations Kevin! It will be my next book. I thought "Call Me By Your Name" was an awful read, very pretentious. Never finished it and tossed it!

Posted by: dave | May 31, 2008 1:04:32 PM

10. "awful read"

You mean the book was awful? Reading is what you do, and a book is an object you can do that with. Seriously, it's not that hard to separate the two concepts...

Posted by: Theo | May 31, 2008 1:40:11 PM

11. I thought "Call Me By Your Name" was excellent. It was thick prose, but managed to capture emotions so well!

Posted by: cb | Jun 2, 2008 12:03:50 PM