Colorado | Mike Jones | News | Religion | Ted Haggard

BigGayDeal.com

Friend: Ted Haggard was a 'Sexaholic' and Used the Drugs

Ted Haggard's close family friend Kurt Serpe shared an email with Colorado Springs' News 13 in which Haggard confessed the details of his relationship with escort Mike Jones. If you'll remember, back in 2006, Haggard said that he'd received a massage but not sex, and bought meth but didn't use it. His email to Serpe tells a bit of a different story. He also sent a letter to his congregation before leaving for his spiritual restoration.

HaggardSerpe, who says he has known the pastor for more than 20 years, said that Haggard sent him an email because he "asked Haggard point-blank for the truth." In the email, which you can read AFTER THE JUMP, Haggard says he met Jones at a Marriott hotel after asking for a masseur, that Jones masturbated him, and that he took drugs before three of his five visits with Jones. Serpe says "He craved sex, he was a sexaholic. This is something that he has been struggling with all of his life."

Earlier this week, it was reported that Haggard had returned to Colorado Springs but he has been forbidden to talk to the media. His "close family friends" on the other hand...

Read Haggard's email to Serpe, AFTER THE JUMP...

***Ted Haggard's E-Mail***

Updated: June 25, 2008 11:08 PM

October 3, 2007

I was referred to Mike Jones from the concierge at a Marriott hotel when I asked for a masseur. It was during the massage that it started to become sensual, and that led to him masturbating me. That was and is our only sexual contact, but it was immoral and it was this experience that caused me to confess immorality in my letter of resignation from New Life Church. During the conversation with Mike during and after the time he masturbated me, he told me about some drugs that he could get for me that would enhance my masturbation experience. I returned on five occasions and bought those drugs. I actually used them three times, throwing them away in shame before use two times. It is for these offenses that I confessed being immoral and deceitful.

These are the answers you have requested, but I do not know why you would say you deserve them? That seems odd to me.

God bless,

Ted Haggard

***

Former Pastor Ted Haggard Sexaholic, says Friend [newschannel13]

Comments

1. such a lot of fuss for a handjob. jeez

Posted by: rouquinricain | Jun 26, 2008 7:43:50 AM

2. What a slime-ball. He needs to just go away for a good long time and think about "morality".
    Did he really go back 5 times for drugs? Were the two times that he threw them out the first two, or the last two, we wonder? The needle on his moral compass must have been stuck from all of the masturbation. Someone of his supposed moral caliber should not have needed to repeat the same mistake 5 times to learn from it.
    What the hell was he looking for a "masseur" for in the first place?
    He is in total denial. Hiding behind religion. What a douche.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 26, 2008 7:47:11 AM

3. It's not the moral brainfuck people like this play that gets me; there will always be slime ball snake-oil salesmen out there to con the public. What gets me are the mass of people who believe he's "cured", that cast an absolute blind eye to the hypocrisy in the face of facts. It's like; what flavor of Kool-aid do they serve in that church?

Posted by: Rad | Jun 26, 2008 8:01:51 AM

4. I am just as ticked off as everyone else about Haggard’s hypocrisy. However, I used to staff the phone at our local LGBT community center, so I also have some sympathy for the situation he is in. When a gay person buys into societal expectations by getting married and having children, it becomes increasingly difficult to live that lie. A gay man in this situation often takes advantage of every opportunity for anonymous, fleeting sexual encounters.

One of the biggest complaints of the LGBT community is the judgmental attitudes of others. Maybe we should try to be a bit more understanding of someone who is obviously struggling.

Posted by: voet | Jun 26, 2008 8:26:05 AM

5. Hmmm, he forgot the part where Mike Jones fucked him in the ass. I guess that will be in his next email confession... 2 years from now.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 26, 2008 8:59:40 AM

6. Again, who cares.

Posted by: John | Jun 26, 2008 9:24:56 AM

7. "I'm not a homosexual, I'm a sexaholic" is an old lie from the religious right crowd. Its just another way to avoid the truth.

Posted by: sam | Jun 26, 2008 9:42:50 AM

8. Who cares?! These assholes motivate millions of people to march to the ballots and vote against gay-friendly legislation. They perpetuate fictitious negative stereotypes assuming that gay people are some flawed, compulsive, sex-craved, pedophiles who just can't decide between right and wrong. Meanwhile, they're getting handjobs and meth from gay hustlers??!!! And now he's making his way back into the hearts of his loyal followers, the same ones who will continue to vote against gay-friendly legislation. That's why we care.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jun 26, 2008 9:47:37 AM

9. Was Ted Haggard wrong in lying and misleading his church? Yes. Did he deserve exposure? Maybe. Does he deserve to be continually circled by packs of bloddthirsty wolves looking for a good story or more public humiliation to satiate our desire for validation? Absolutely not.
    I find it most offensive that his "friend" would, after claiming to "deserve" answers (obvioulsy because they were in a trustful platonic relationship) would turn around and publish Mr. Haggard's e-mail. We should be condeming his friend. Not him.
    I am from a culture that expects gay men to "turn straight" and while I was offended by Ted Haggard's double life, I understood his pain and confusion. Beign unjudgmental and (dare I say) forgiving is the LEAST the gay community can do.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 26, 2008 10:13:44 AM

10. Isnt't lying a sin, Ted????

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jun 26, 2008 10:26:46 AM

11. he threw away the drugs? i'm no meth head, but at least i know i could resell that shiz to some kid for some extra bank.

and didn't the village voice report that mike jones said that ted haggard bottomed once? and wasn't very good?

Posted by: ian | Jun 26, 2008 10:41:54 AM

12. Ryan,
    Accepting and stopping the hateful judgment of the Gay community is the LEAST Mr. Haggard and his community can do for us. I’ve “turned the other cheek” for his community and they not only slapped it they kicked it and beat it joyously.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jun 26, 2008 10:50:24 AM

13. Given Mr. Haggard's level of hypocrisy and its pervasiveness among those who would smite us, I don't think he deserves too much respect or privacy. He's not JohnQ Public. Wasn't he the head honcho among the evangelicals?

Mr. Haggard is obviously a strong personality with leadership ability. Imagine the good he could do if he could overcome his limitations and instead encourage the loving acceptance of the gay individuals who find themselves in these backward religious communities.

Perhaps I'm naive and they have already "cast him out" and that's that.

Posted by: JJ | Jun 26, 2008 11:48:30 AM

14. Just a handjob? Sheesh, I thought it was like an orgy or some shit the way people fucking pissed themselves about it.

Haggard is a hypocritical douchebag, but Mike Jones is a whore (and not one of the Spitzer-like ones) - not sure which is "better" or more trustworthy. I've seen Mike Jones in action - I'm just sayin'

Posted by: Shane | Jun 26, 2008 12:09:18 PM

15. No doubt we'll hear from Jones again. I'm a little surprised that he would admit to this in an e-mail, but is it the whole truth? I don't think so. He's still in denial about being bi/gay. He could have easily gotten a female to yank him off, but his arousal pattern was male-male. He maybe horny, but the therapy he needs is a dose of reality.

Posted by: anon | Jun 26, 2008 1:17:39 PM

16. "craves sex" = "sexaholic"?
    everyone craves sex. It's called sexual desire, and it's part of the human condition..
    btw, Haggard did more than lie about his sexuality. He preached a creepy campaign of homophobia and gay-baiting to his parish. (see him in the documentary "jesus camp." ) Homophobia and gay shame are not just incidental to this twisted fundy subculture, but a central driving force. also central to driving their voter turnout.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 26, 2008 1:43:14 PM

17. hmmm... it doesn't actually say "hand-job" anywhere... maybe "masturbate" is Christian-speak for anything non-procreative. Maybe he "masturbated" him by tying him up and fucking him up the ass until he came...

Posted by: Hank again | Jun 26, 2008 3:02:46 PM

18. Meth, massuers and nice hotels were all paid for by his followers. As was everything else in his life. The biggest sin is duping those in need for his own personal gain. But he's not alone. Turn on TBN. There's a ton of these thieves and our government looks the other way because they need cash and votes. Sometimes America is such a sad place. And now gay people have been positioned as a wedge issue again for the next presidential election. Our government is in a very sad place as well. Let's hope Obama is what he's selling... change.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 26, 2008 4:27:06 PM

19. He should be ridiculed. Hypocrites, inciting hate for a group of people, when secretly being one of those people, are simply bad people. Others like them should know the penalty for bad choices. Peer pressure is the only punishment these people get, with out it what motivation is there?

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2008 4:45:15 PM

20. Is it not interesting how Rev. Ted Haggard spewed his hatred and disapproval of Gays until he himself was publicly exposed and had to publicly admit to his drug use and homosexual relationship? It is doubtful that he will ever so boldly beat up Gays again in public to boost his reputation, line his wallet, or secure his position in a church. And, why won't he? We know the answer - Hypocrisy will not work for him any longer.

God loves you too Ted Haggard:

- In spite of your hatred
    - Even though you are religious
    - In addition to Gay folk