Election 2008 | Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | John McCain | News

BigGayDeal.com

John McCain on Gay Adoption, Marriage, the Internet

Cindyjohnmccain

In an interview with the NYT on Sunday, John McCain said flat out that he doesn't believe gay couples should be allowed to adopt children:

"I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don’t believe in gay adoption."

Forget all the same-sex couples who have successfully raised children. He and Cindy set the standard.

He also spoke on the subject of same-sex marriage: "Many social conservatives strenuously oppose California’s decision to allow same-sex marriage. But Mr. McCain, who also opposes same-sex marriage, has always said that the issue is up to the states, and in the interview he said he would stick to that position as president even if California chose to continue allowing gay marriage after putting the matter to a statewide vote in November. 'I respect the right of the states to make those decisions,' he said."

McCain also talked about his use of the internet (clip from the Personal Democracy Forum 2008 in late June): "He said, ruefully, that he had not mastered how to use the Internet and relied on his wife and aides like Mark Salter, a senior adviser, and Brooke Buchanan, his press secretary, to get him online to read newspapers (though he prefers reading those the old-fashioned way) and political Web sites and blogs. 'They go on for me,' he said. 'I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need.'"

In other news, following the reports of Alabama Attorney General Troy King's possible resignation over a gay affair, the McCain campaign scrubbed all references to King from its website.

And Michelangelo Signorile discusses McCain's sham marriages, responding to an L.A. Times article over the weekend which reported on the fact that McCain had obtained a marriage license for Cindy while still married to his first wife: "Although McCain suggested in his autobiography that months passed between his divorce and remarriage, the divorce was granted April 2, 1980, and he wed Hensley in a private ceremony five weeks later. McCain obtained an Arizona marriage license on March 6, 1980, while still legally married to his first wife."

McCain’s Conservative Model? Roosevelt (Theodore, That Is) [nyt]

Comments

1. Just a reminder: legal marriage approved by a state government has NO effect on federal immigration status.

You can legally be married in California, and your foreign-born husband will still be subject to visa renewal and deportation, while a man's foreign-born wife would automatically get permanent resident status.

McCain's insistence on treating the question at the state level is NOT just procedural - it denies even legally married gay men and women the full benefits of marriage that all straight couples enjoy.

Posted by: thin mint | Jul 14, 2008 11:47:06 AM

2. Will this stop the brain dead gay Republicans from supporting this ass hat? I don’t think so either; they are too busy getting their hate on in other ways. Gays for McCain=Chickens for Col. Sanders.

Posted by: ggreen | Jul 14, 2008 11:55:18 AM

3. "...both parents are important in the success of a family..."

Well, at least until one of the parents gets tired of the other one--because she had a bad car accident and doesn't look at hot as she used to--and wants to go start a new family with someone much wealthier (who he's already been f*cking for quite a while). Then "both parents" become sort of optional, right John?

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jul 14, 2008 12:04:07 PM

4. Wait, he can't even surf blogs and newssites?! What kind of an incompetent fool is this?!

THIS is the guy some people want for president? Someone who can't even use a computer, someone who remarried almost immediately after divorcing his wife because she got into an accident while waiting faithfully for him while he was MIA, someone who seems, at times, senile, like when he yelled at that girl at a rally...

I truly hope people wise up and don't vote for McCain come November. He's ACTUALLY worse than Bush!

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jul 14, 2008 12:20:28 PM

5. Cindy and John aren't that bright, are they? George & Laura sparkle in comparison. So, John McCain doesn't know that both gay parents can't be important in the success of a family.

All that money and so dull, and maybe a little stupid.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 14, 2008 12:23:05 PM

6. I wonder what the kids of gay parents think about this? McCain is a monster. This is too much. If he said that Jews or Blacks can't be good parents he would be out of the running. INSANE that these comments are tolerated.

Posted by: walker | Jul 14, 2008 12:28:06 PM

7. Thin Mint: Obama's stand on the issue is exactly the same, so his insistence on treating the issues at the state level is also not only procedural but denies exactly the same thing.

It is clear McCain leans more heavily to the right on the issue of gay marriage equality, but procedurally and philosophically he and Obama do not view the legal ramifications any differently.

There are reasons as a gay person to vote for Obama over McCain, but gay marriage is NOT one of them.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 12:42:36 PM

8. Walker, I think your analogy of McCain's statements about gay parents versus black or Jewish parents is off. A better comparison would be if he were to say single parents are not fit to adopt children b/c his entire argument is that you need a male and female parental figure to make adoption successful. It isn't that a gay couple is unfit b/c they are gay, it's because they are of the same sex.

I think he's clearly off base and wrong, but let's face it, many states do not allow single parents to adopt either. They are discriminated against for the very same reasons gay couples are.

Let's not argue that it is anti-gay but that the principle of having two genders raising children is necessary or preferable. That helps more people in the long run adopt children in need.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 12:45:34 PM

9. he's such a joke.

Posted by: ian | Jul 14, 2008 12:52:26 PM

10. I really think it's great that he has set some realistic goals and doesn't "expect to be a great communicator," because, you know, being the leader of the U.S. communication would be at the bottom of the list of skills to possess.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 14, 2008 1:00:59 PM

11. To make the statement that a straight couple is better quieted to raise a child than a gay couple or a single person is so 10 years ago, so Dr. Laura. It is absolutely 100% ignorant and panders to the far right.

I have to assume that the purpose of his statement was to be anti-gay and to garner support from those who share his opinion. I do not think he has a problem with a single heterosexuals adopting. This is transparent code-talk.

Posted by: Walker | Jul 14, 2008 1:03:04 PM

12. Aww, McCain's just being bashful, he's been a faithful TR reader for some time now.

Posted by: anon | Jul 14, 2008 1:05:27 PM

13. boo, he sucks. someone put him in a home already.

Posted by: ryan | Jul 14, 2008 1:08:45 PM

14. Walker, I agree, but the easiest argument to make is to show that it does not take two parents of different genders to raise a child, not that gay people should have the "right" to do it. Anti-gay people don't care about that, so you have to take the root of their fallacious argument and destroy it. They aren't saying gay people cannot adopt because they are immoral, they are saying they are incapable. So you can't argue under the assumption that the argument is that gay people are moral, you have to argue that they are capable. Calling people anti-gay isn't going to help you.

And I am sure he does have issues with single parent adoptions. It's not as common as you think and possibly even less common than gay adoption. The arguments against both are the same and are wrong.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 1:09:12 PM

15. boo, he sucks. someone put him in a home already.

Posted by: ryan | Jul 14, 2008 1:11:29 PM

16. I'm not surprised. My granmaw and granpaw say the same thing.

Posted by: Ulrich | Jul 14, 2008 1:13:39 PM

17. Banne, you're spreading lies and misinformation. I don't believe there's a single state that has a law against singles adopting, not even those which prohibit same-sex couples or gay individuals from doing so--though if you can produce some links instead of just making things up, we'll all be happy to learn something.

One major difference between Obama and McCain on SSM. Obama opposes the anti-marriage amendment proposal in California. McCain supports it.

You appear to be simply a GOP propagandist without integrity, and so I hope everyone treats your comments accordingly.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jul 14, 2008 1:15:39 PM

18. If I had any sympathy for John Mccain as a candidate, It's gone right out the window.

Not that I had much to begin with.

Funny, all the "pro-life/Christian" types are always trying to make sure love has no place in the definition of what makes a family.

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Jul 14, 2008 1:19:47 PM

19. I'm not a GOP supporter, so why would I do that. Whether McCain personally supports the amendment or not is irrelevant really because he has said that if the people of California vote it down and allow gay marriage, he will support the state's right to determine that. By Obama saying it is up to the state, he clearly is saying that if the people of CA voted FOR a ban, he would inherently have to support it. In practice, their positions are no different on the issue, whether their personal opinions are or not. If they both uphold the will of the state, then it doesn't matter their personal beliefs from a logistical standpoint. I'm just sick of gay people allowing themselves to be pandered to by candidates who parse their stands on an issue like gay marriage so they essentially allow the same thing to happen but make you THINK they feel one way or the other so you vote or give them money. I think we should demand RESULTS, not words.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 1:22:16 PM

20. Why make such a big deal about the structure of my argument. This is how I see it - I guess I should have just stated my feelings as Ryan said it, "Boo he sucks."

and as far as your telling me how to think and express my opinions (called fascism), "...you have to argue that they are capable." all I HAVE to do is not vote for McCain in November.

Posted by: Walker | Jul 14, 2008 1:24:59 PM

21. McCain is miles from Obama on this, since Obama is for repealing DOMA and granting federal rights, while McCain would leave DOMA in place.

According to what Obama has said, he's for states deciding "how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples -whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage" -- not "none of the above" -- which is what McCain would support and fight for. (Earlier McCain said he supported CA voters deciding to ban gay marriage.)

Even more importantly Obama is for equality AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL. He would repeal DOMA: "Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does." It's hard to argue with that statement.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 14, 2008 1:31:45 PM

22. Whether there is a law that allows singles to adopt or not, it is notoriously more difficult to adopt a child if you are a single parent. And FYI, only five states expressly prohibit gay adoption. So overall, it's allowed or not outrightly banned in most states. The point is that you can't make the argument against gay adoption b/c of some false necessity to have parents of two genders when single parent adoption is successful.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 1:33:20 PM

23. Walker, you're right, I was simply pointing out how unproductive the "boo you suck" argument is in getting a damned thing done.

Forgive me.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 1:34:19 PM

24. KevinVT - as a Senator, why has he not proposed legislation to overturn DOMA, then? Again, words are useless when there are no results.

Posted by: Banne | Jul 14, 2008 1:35:59 PM

25. thevegasstyleguy

"love" ? xtiaistas?

The bible belt has the largest number of divorces in the nation. They cant even concieve of the idea of "love" between 2 people

Derrick from Philly