Cyndi Lauper | George W. Bush | News

BigGayDeal.com

Cyndi Lauper Has No Love Affair with Bush

In an interview with The Times, Cyndi Lauper lashed out at George W. Bush while speaking of her love for gay people:

Lauper"This community for me is my beloved community. This is not a money-making venture. I have been running with this community all my life, and when I hear people like George Bush talk about the gay community being anti-American it makes my blood boil. The guy who saved the White House, one of the heroes who crashed that plane on 9/11, was gay – the rugby player Mark Bingham, who died on United 93. And does Bush ever mention that? Does he f***! That gay guy saved his lousy ass. And this guy who says he prays to God, this guy who promotes hate and fear, this guy we call our President...This guy is the true anti-American."

She also tells them how she tried really hard to be gay but was eventually forced to come out as straight:

"My sister was gay, my best friends were gay, so I figured I had to be gay. So I did everything they did. I tried kissing girls. But it didn’t feel right for me and eventually I was forced to come out as a heterosexual."

Comments

1. She's right....

I wish MB hadn't helped bring that plane down...

I wish that somehow it had crashed in the right place...

I wish it had burrowed its way up George Bush's ASS, flown out the other end, and Burrowed its way up DICK CHENEY's ass next...only stopping after it came to rest inside George H. Bush's sorry butt.

Posted by: Tom | Aug 5, 2008 12:39:32 PM

2. Cyndi for President!

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 5, 2008 12:58:45 PM

3. Cyndi for President!

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 5, 2008 12:58:58 PM

4. ♪ I ♥ Cyndi ♪

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 5, 2008 1:05:11 PM

5. Cyndi Lauper... possibly the ONLY celebrity who doesn't put her foot in her mouth and choke any time the topic of gay folks is brought up. She's sincere and a damn hard worker. She's not my favorite musician but she's in my top three list of performers. Those who have seen her live know exactly what I mean.

The uninformed talk about Madonna and what she's done for the gay community. Hardly. Bow before Lauper. She's actually worthy of our adulation and respect.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 5, 2008 1:10:25 PM

6. We desperately need straight allies like Cyndi to come out of their closets! Brava, Cyndi!

OUR CLOSETED ALLIES

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Aug 5, 2008 1:28:32 PM

7. Not to rain on anybodys anti-bush parade, but when exactally did the president say that the gays were "anti-american"...because I dont remember that quote...and y'think something like that would stick. Has he said, he is against gay marriage and adoption and the lot, yes. Anti-american? I will need some proof on that one.

For shame saying you wish the plane had gone down in the right place. You want to talk about anti-american statements..we may have a winner.

Posted by: NIKK | Aug 5, 2008 1:38:32 PM

8. Go, Cyndi!

(even though I didn't care for your new album :( )

Posted by: Alex | Aug 5, 2008 1:42:29 PM

9. I adore Ms. Cyndi Lauper

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 5, 2008 2:00:24 PM

10. NIKK, thanks for making me puke. Do you think Tom really is suggesting he wanted the plane to crash into the White House? If so, then you probably also believe the Log Cabin bullshit and that abstinence-only sex ed is the right way to go.

Posted by: SexyBack | Aug 5, 2008 2:03:28 PM

11. Nikk ur a douchebag

Posted by: Dakota | Aug 5, 2008 2:03:31 PM

12. I have to agree with Nikk. I despise Bush, his cronies, and everything he stands for. But I don't think any of them would be stupid enough to say that gays are anti-American. All of our blood would have been boiling at that.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 5, 2008 2:04:15 PM

13. No surprise there, PAUL R. Douchebags think alike.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 5, 2008 2:17:52 PM

14. Bush is a douchebag, but i've never heard him say gays were anti-american, not that i'd put it past him. As far as her ridiculous statement that the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place, she's a fucking idiot.

It's great when people support gay rights, but Cyndi takes it to another level with her pathetic pandering, and shitastic music geared towards deaf queens.

Posted by: michael | Aug 5, 2008 2:22:13 PM

15. Um, Michael, she never said the planes should have went down in "the right place". That was another poster. You must be a deaf queen not to recognize a truly talented voice.

Her new CD is great. With a great message. Cyndi Lauper is an actual artist. One that doesn't need to "re-invent" herself. Thanks for all the support, Cyndi, through all these years!

Posted by: Jesse Archer | Aug 5, 2008 2:38:44 PM

16. "As far as her ridiculous statement that the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place, she's a fucking idiot."

MICHAEL, dear, you're the "fucking idiot". Re-read the post. Cyndi didn't say anything about the planes going down "in the right place". She talked about how Mark Bingham, a gay man, helped prevent a plane from crashing into the White House thus saving Bush's ass.

In addition to strengthening your cognitive skills, I would also suggest a course in grammar in order to avoid errors such as "should have went down" in the future. It makes you look stupid and uneducated, if thats possible.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 5, 2008 2:39:08 PM

17. Reading Comprehension is not your strong suit Michael.

never did she say "the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place"

she did talk about the guy who helped divert the plan being gay.

"That gay guy saved his lousy ass. And this guy who says he prays to God, this guy who promotes hate and fear, this guy we call our President...This guy is the true anti-American."
    Please tell me where it says that?

Because the comments here, they differ from the article.

idiot.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 5, 2008 2:43:35 PM

18. You’re really pitiful Michael. Is that all you got is your hate-mongering? Is spreading your hate the only thing that you can contribute to the Gay community?

Posted by: ICEE | Aug 5, 2008 3:24:20 PM

19. Cyndi is amazing! She work so hard to promote Equal Rights for All of Us. Her new album "Bring Ya To The Brink" is brilliant. She even went against her record company-SONY- to do another True Colors Tour this year to get people register to vote. Her record company wanted her to promote her new album only- she instead went with what she does best. The world needs more people like Cyndi! Her 10 year old son was onstage with her waving the Gay Flag at the True Colors Tour...She is a CLASS ACT!! We love you Cyn...thank you for all your hard work!

Posted by: Fab | Aug 5, 2008 3:34:45 PM

20. I'll admit my mistake, in not actually reading what she said, but I love how her geriatric queen fanbase came after me with jagged claws. LMAO!

Her "music" is still shit though. Of course the dozens of old fags who flock to her summer rainbows and triangles fag bar tour would disagree.

Lol!

Posted by: michael | Aug 5, 2008 3:40:44 PM

21. When are we going to learn to give credit to people that really are working their ass off to promote equality? Why do we tend to support artist that normally do absolutely nothing to support our community? (Madonna-Britney??)Cyndi Lauper deserves much more respect!

Posted by: Eric | Aug 5, 2008 3:41:50 PM

22. Poor Michael.. feel sorry for you! Have you ever met a Jewish person that likes Hitler??? the poor idiot doesn't get it.

He's probably running around with a Britney Spears T-Shirt and think he's the coolest guy on Earth. The poor thing!

Posted by: Sean | Aug 5, 2008 3:47:04 PM

23. Her Tour was actually tons of fun~ Way to Go Cyndi...

Posted by: Peter | Aug 5, 2008 3:48:34 PM

24. In response to FAB'S post-- I am the biggest Cyndi fan and I'm only 25.

In response to the article-- This is one of the reasons I'm such a big Cyndi fan.

Posted by: Blake | Aug 5, 2008 3:53:06 PM

25. Eric,

I know this may come as a shocker to you, but I don't buy music based on how politically active the musician in question is with LGBT issues. While I wouldn't buy music made by a homophobe, I don't need Madonna marching in every parade for me to find her music enjoyable fun.

Sometimes it's all about "I like the songs."

I love Cyndi (I remember when She's So Unuusal came out), but her album feels incredibly dated. I like about three songs on it. For pure pop, Madonna, Santogold, Lykke Li and Robyn's recent albums have been better for me.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 5, 2008 4:23:07 PM