Cyndi Lauper Has No Love Affair with Bush

In an interview with The Times, Cyndi Lauper lashed out at George W. Bush while speaking of her love for gay people:

Lauper“This community for me is my beloved community. This is not a money-making venture. I have been running with this community all my life, and when I hear people like George Bush talk about the gay community being anti-American it makes my blood boil. The guy who saved the White House, one of the heroes who crashed that plane on 9/11, was gay – the rugby player Mark Bingham, who died on United 93. And does Bush ever mention that? Does he f***! That gay guy saved his lousy ass. And this guy who says he prays to God, this guy who promotes hate and fear, this guy we call our President…This guy is the true anti-American.”

She also tells them how she tried really hard to be gay but was eventually forced to come out as straight:

“My sister was gay, my best friends were gay, so I figured I had to be gay. So I did everything they did. I tried kissing girls. But it didn’t feel right for me and eventually I was forced to come out as a heterosexual.”

Comments

1. Tom says

She’s right….

I wish MB hadn’t helped bring that plane down…

I wish that somehow it had crashed in the right place…

I wish it had burrowed its way up George Bush’s ASS, flown out the other end, and Burrowed its way up DICK CHENEY’s ass next…only stopping after it came to rest inside George H. Bush’s sorry butt.

2. John in Manhattan says

Cyndi Lauper… possibly the ONLY celebrity who doesn’t put her foot in her mouth and choke any time the topic of gay folks is brought up. She’s sincere and a damn hard worker. She’s not my favorite musician but she’s in my top three list of performers. Those who have seen her live know exactly what I mean.

The uninformed talk about Madonna and what she’s done for the gay community. Hardly. Bow before Lauper. She’s actually worthy of our adulation and respect.

3. NIKK says

Not to rain on anybodys anti-bush parade, but when exactally did the president say that the gays were “anti-american”…because I dont remember that quote…and y’think something like that would stick. Has he said, he is against gay marriage and adoption and the lot, yes. Anti-american? I will need some proof on that one.

For shame saying you wish the plane had gone down in the right place. You want to talk about anti-american statements..we may have a winner.

4. SexyBack says

NIKK, thanks for making me puke. Do you think Tom really is suggesting he wanted the plane to crash into the White House? If so, then you probably also believe the Log Cabin bullshit and that abstinence-only sex ed is the right way to go.

5. Paul R says

I have to agree with Nikk. I despise Bush, his cronies, and everything he stands for. But I don’t think any of them would be stupid enough to say that gays are anti-American. All of our blood would have been boiling at that.

6. michael says

Bush is a douchebag, but i’ve never heard him say gays were anti-american, not that i’d put it past him. As far as her ridiculous statement that the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place, she’s a fucking idiot.

It’s great when people support gay rights, but Cyndi takes it to another level with her pathetic pandering, and shitastic music geared towards deaf queens.

7. says

Um, Michael, she never said the planes should have went down in “the right place”. That was another poster. You must be a deaf queen not to recognize a truly talented voice.

Her new CD is great. With a great message. Cyndi Lauper is an actual artist. One that doesn’t need to “re-invent” herself. Thanks for all the support, Cyndi, through all these years!

8. John in Manhattan says

“As far as her ridiculous statement that the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place, she’s a fucking idiot.”

MICHAEL, dear, you’re the “fucking idiot”. Re-read the post. Cyndi didn’t say anything about the planes going down “in the right place”. She talked about how Mark Bingham, a gay man, helped prevent a plane from crashing into the White House thus saving Bush’s ass.

In addition to strengthening your cognitive skills, I would also suggest a course in grammar in order to avoid errors such as “should have went down” in the future. It makes you look stupid and uneducated, if thats possible.

9. Nick says

Reading Comprehension is not your strong suit Michael.

never did she say “the 9/11 planes should have went down in the right place”

she did talk about the guy who helped divert the plan being gay.

“That gay guy saved his lousy ass. And this guy who says he prays to God, this guy who promotes hate and fear, this guy we call our President…This guy is the true anti-American.”
    Please tell me where it says that?

Because the comments here, they differ from the article.

idiot.

10. ICEE says

You’re really pitiful Michael. Is that all you got is your hate-mongering? Is spreading your hate the only thing that you can contribute to the Gay community?

11. Fab says

Cyndi is amazing! She work so hard to promote Equal Rights for All of Us. Her new album “Bring Ya To The Brink” is brilliant. She even went against her record company-SONY- to do another True Colors Tour this year to get people register to vote. Her record company wanted her to promote her new album only- she instead went with what she does best. The world needs more people like Cyndi! Her 10 year old son was onstage with her waving the Gay Flag at the True Colors Tour…She is a CLASS ACT!! We love you Cyn…thank you for all your hard work!

12. michael says

I’ll admit my mistake, in not actually reading what she said, but I love how her geriatric queen fanbase came after me with jagged claws. LMAO!

Her “music” is still shit though. Of course the dozens of old fags who flock to her summer rainbows and triangles fag bar tour would disagree.

Lol!

13. Eric says

When are we going to learn to give credit to people that really are working their ass off to promote equality? Why do we tend to support artist that normally do absolutely nothing to support our community? (Madonna-Britney??)Cyndi Lauper deserves much more respect!

14. Sean says

Poor Michael.. feel sorry for you! Have you ever met a Jewish person that likes Hitler??? the poor idiot doesn’t get it.

He’s probably running around with a Britney Spears T-Shirt and think he’s the coolest guy on Earth. The poor thing!

15. Blake says

In response to FAB’S post– I am the biggest Cyndi fan and I’m only 25.

In response to the article– This is one of the reasons I’m such a big Cyndi fan.

16. says

Eric,

I know this may come as a shocker to you, but I don’t buy music based on how politically active the musician in question is with LGBT issues. While I wouldn’t buy music made by a homophobe, I don’t need Madonna marching in every parade for me to find her music enjoyable fun.

Sometimes it’s all about “I like the songs.”

I love Cyndi (I remember when She’s So Unuusal came out), but her album feels incredibly dated. I like about three songs on it. For pure pop, Madonna, Santogold, Lykke Li and Robyn’s recent albums have been better for me.

17. Steven says

People concentrate on what the article is about! She supports us more than any other artist out there, PERIOD. Her music is great for some and not so great for others. Personally I love her new material and love the fact that she doesn’t care about what her record company tells her to do to be “cool”. Bring Ya to The Brink is on my Top 3 albums this year and love that fact that she supports my community like she does.

18. steven says

People concentrate on what the article is about. She was asked a question and she answered with honesty! She is a supporter of our community and always has been. Some people like her music and others don’t care much for it- that’s perfectly fine. Personally, I don’t like Madonna’s music at all or Britney Spears either. I do respect the fact that she has done tons of work to bring LGTB issues and her new album is one of my Top 3 albums this year!

19. Mr. E says

@Michael- There is nothing more repulsive than homophobia out of the mouth of a gay man (assuming you are a big fat queer). Why such a hater of ‘fags’ and ‘queens?’ Do they scare you? Do they make you uncomfortable? Are you secure in your ‘masculinity?’ Do you post on Manhunt with the phrase, “Straight acting, UB2?” Karma dictates that some big old ‘queen’ is going to kick your ass someday…

20. Anthony says

Bring Ya To The Brink is pretty awesome. Cyndi is a Class Act. Cyndi Lauper may be the ONLY celebrity who really stand up for Gay Rights. She is an inspiration to me. You may like or not like her music, but she deserves RESPECT for all her hard work.

21. Tim says

It’s been a quarter century since she won hearts with the catchy Girls Just Want to Have Fun, the hit single that propelled her debut album So Unusual to 16 million sales worldwide. And though that song remains an anthem for teenaged girls the world over, not to mention a karaoke night favourite, it’s been a while since we’ve heard from Cyndi Lauper.

Sure, she’s found success throughout the decades, but not since that white hot single lit up the charts has she been as relevant as fellow 1980’s star Madonna.

But with her recently released Bring Ya to the Brink, we get the diva at her bubblegum best. Bring Ya to the Brink has been heralded by a wide range of critics, primarily on the strength of the US Billboard Hot Dance Club #1 hit, Same Ol’ F***ing story, produced by uber-cool New York City DJ Richard Morel.

Her musical progression has been the subject of much conversation, from infectious pop, to R&B, to World music, to acoustic. Now, however, she’s come full circle. Bring Ya to the Brink is packed to the brim with gooey, groovy dance numbers. And though she’s been here before, given the freshness of this latest offering, it’s safe to say: this is anything but the same ol’ story.

22. Paul R says

Umm, John in Manhattan, why am I a douchebag? Was I supposed to say that someone said something they didn’t? Man your posts drip with bitterness. This isn’t the first time you’ve attacked me (the last time you somehow got it into your head that I’m a Republican, which is the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard—I’m a bleeding heart liberal San Francisco fag and wouldn’t vote Republican if my life depended on it), and I don’t understand it.

23. paul says

George Bush wasn’t home when the plane would have hit anyway. He was at story time having kids read to him. Remember?

Paul R., you have to remember that it’s like a Log Cabin witch hunt here. I get it too, even though I’ve never voted for a republican presidential candidate in my life.

24. Paul Holtz says

Thanks, Paul. Maybe he’s conflating the two of us and our undoubtedly sinister, self-loathing ways!

Though I was the only Paul here for a while before you started commenting. You made me have to add the R to my name—damn you!

Just kidding. Maybe he thinks the added R stands for Republican. I can’t say I’ll be losing sleep over it.

25. nic says

since gays apparently don’t share the repug “family values”, we are by implication, anti-american. as the later post indicates, 60,000 gay soldiers have been expelled from the military. yet the military has so relaxed it’s standards to meet quotas, that they are accepting people with criminal records and paying $150,000 retention bonuses to linguists. this administration has got to be the stupidest in history. little wonder that the whole sorry lot is headed, if nominally, by a drug and alcohol brain-addled nincompoop. i despise bush as much as good old cyndi does. she is a good woman with a lot of talent who is on our side. good on her.

26. nic says

27. CK says

How did we inherit these nasty, stupid, morons in the gay community? Those hating on Cyndi here just don’t get it. A straight person who stands by us, unequivocally, not because she has anything to gain from it, but because it is her conviction, should be applauded. She should not be heaped with scorn by ingrates! No problem if you don’t like her music, no-one is expecting everyone to, but please have the decency to say ‘thank you’ for everything she does to make YOUR life better, and I do… THANK YOU, Cyndi!!!