Magazines | Neil Patrick Harris | News

BigGayDeal.com

Neil Patrick Harris Crushes on Anderson Cooper, Strives for 'Normalcy'

Nph

Neil Patrick Harris talks to OUT magazine for their September issue and expresses his joy over the recent visibility of same-sex couples in the news surrounding the California same-sex marriage legislation ("I think that speaks way more than the 'God Hates Fags' signs."). He also talks about what he believes his own role to be as a visible gay man:

"My job is jester -- not advocate. I’m on a situation comedy responding to [Josh Radnor’s character] Ted Mosby and his wacky adventures -- that’s my job right now. If people want to comment about where I go to dinner, they are welcome to, but it’s not my job to respond to those statements. The Internet stuff threw me for a loop because I didn’t understand where the vitriol was coming from. I thought I had been representing well, and in turn it seemed like I was quickly condemned to step to the plate, and I was fine with that. I’m striving to be an example of normalcy. Because I’m noticed as an actor, people are aware of what’s happening in my life, and that I can’t change, and if I tried to, it’d be an uphill battle. I’d be angry and bitter. I’m a big proponent of monogamous relationships regardless of sexuality, and I’m proud of how the nation is steering toward that. Then you can look around and say, 'I really deeply feel like I’m in love with this person, there are people who feel the same thing, and those models are normal.' The 'normal' couples were sort of in the shadows for the past 15 or 20 years because you sort of needed other people to come forward and speak out."

HarrisHarris also confesses to a crush on Anderson Cooper:

"Mmmmmmmm. Anderson. He’s dreamy. Just dreamy. I’ve been a fan of his since season 1 of The Mole. I just thought he was so cool when he talked in this cool, low, secret-agent voice -- 'If you can accomplish this task...' Listen, no one can tell anyone how big their steps should be or when they can take them. You can take issue with someone making overtly denying statements, and you can take issue with people straight-up presenting themselves as someone that they’re not -- because I think that’s kind of shady and not very stand-up. But you can’t fault someone for going through the process at their own time. You can’t. But again -- to speak to the public nature of things -- it is in our capacity to respect the job descriptions that people have separate from the life that they live. And I don’t care about the person on the news…I literally tune in to hear the news. I might find them dreamy, but I don’t really need to know much more about them."

recently
Neil Patrick Harris Casts a Gay Spell as Sesame Street's Shoe Fairy [tr]
Neil Patrick Harris Now a Horrible Doctor [tr]
Neil Patrick Harris Plays 'Pretend' Again for Old Spice [tr]

Comments

1. I (heart) NPH. He seems a much better role model than some people want to admit or allow him to be. He seems to be living not by others expectations of him, but by his own values. And good for him.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 4, 2008 10:55:46 AM

2. Just when I think it's impossible for me to like him more, he says stuff like this.

Bravo.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 4, 2008 10:56:19 AM

3. I like Neil although I'm far more interested in reading that "Has Manhunt Destroyed Gay Culture?" article listed on the cover. Anyone have a link?

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 4, 2008 11:02:36 AM

4. He seems like such a great guy. I'm glad role models like him are out there.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 4, 2008 11:06:14 AM

5. Y'all must be smarter than me 'cause I can't figure out what he said. I'll read it for the 4th time...later.

...but he seems like a very nice man.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 4, 2008 11:15:57 AM

6. "The 'normal' couples were sort of in the shadows for the past 15 or 20 years because you sort of needed other people to come forward and speak out."

OK. This rubs me the wrong way. I get what he's saying, but I suppose it pisses me off that the "correct" way to be gay is partnered in a LTR that is 100% monogamous. This bothers me for two reasons:

1. I believe the goal of the gay/queer movement is not to codify people into ONE mode of partnering or relating, but rather celebrate the various incarnations and style of relationships, monogamous or not.

2. As a single person, I hate that this image of the gay couple is being put in a gilded frame with a multi-million dollar lighting design thrown at it. God forbid one is single by choice or circumstance (definitely not by choice in my case) because if you are according to these "normal" people you should be celibate and invisible.

3. And I hate the implication that these "other" (read: radical) gays have served their purpose and it's time to sweep them under the rug. Why is there a giant move towards homogeny in gay/queer culture? What the hell is the rainbow flag all about?

Posted by: Alex | Aug 4, 2008 11:21:35 AM

7. Allow me to translate... he's talking about being a normal gay rather than one of those nasty advocates always shoving homosexuality down normal peoples' throats.

In the second part, Neil discusses his Mmmmmmmm-crush on the closeted Anderson Cooper and gives him a pass for remaining silent.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 4, 2008 11:24:56 AM

8. Cool. Out has an *OUT* person on the cover. I realize there aren't actually 11 more gay people on earth for rest of the year, but every time they actually have a homo on the front, I buy it. The straights, I can look at any other mag for.

Posted by: pickles | Aug 4, 2008 11:33:11 AM

9. Oh Pickles, the disdain drips from your words... Out has lots of gay people on its cover, and this kind of comment is soooo predictable, so myopic, and so cliched at this stage... Does anyone have a new tune, like how bout wondering why gays should only read about other gays? Hell, I don't want to be part of that world - my world, our world, is richer and broader than that.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 4, 2008 11:45:30 AM

10. Though the screaming caption, "A Man's Man" is jejune, as is the cliched "let's butch you up" styling, and his comments re "normal" could have used a few more qualifiers that don't leave so much room for some people to assume he means gay couples are better than gay singles, etc., I was pretty much nodding my head on his progress until he suddenly traded the leather pants for Hello Kitty panties and turned into little Doogineesha Howser cooing over her little girl crush on Anderson Cooper. Stewardess, pass the air sick bag!

But juvenile jonesing for the altogether tritely attractive Cooper is only a yawn contrasted with Mr. Harris's absurd albeit common defense of Cooper as coward. At that moment he reverts to the degree of sophomoric social consciousness that Lance Bass exhibited when he first dissed "crazy gay activists." Bass has since grown and one can only hope that the progress Harris otherwise displayed continues to the point where he realizes that while it is certainly Cooper's "right" to be a coward it is the right of others to condemn him for it.

Born with a platinum spoon in his mouth, four decades of privilige later there is no fucking excuse for Cooper being a symbol of self-imposed shame instead of one of pride. Putting the lie to his claim that he never discusses his "private life," he's often spoken and written of some guilt he feels for perhaps having indirectly contributed to his brother's suicide by failing to show him enough love. Would that he could see how many lives he might save if he had the courage that other public figures and non-celebrities have had in coming out and being in their own variety of ways role models for all the kids still force fed everyday that being gay is something to be ashamed of, that you don't talk about. No one's asking Cooper to tattoo a rainbow flag below his premature grey.

Dirt poor, multiracial, living in foster care Lawrence King, if not wisdom, had more courage at 15 than CNN's 41-yr. old blue-eyed bright white shining star. If there were fewer cowards in the world like Cooper perhaps the 14-yr. old he flirted with would not have felt the need to blow King's brains out.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Aug 4, 2008 11:49:50 AM

11. HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!! THERE'S AN ACTUAL GAY MAN ON THE COVER OF "OUT"!

NPH is, needless to say, FUCKING GOD!
    He and David Burtka were aroudn town as a couple long before that scuzzy Lavangharia creature read that squid in a Canadian gossip column about NPH getting Burtka a couple of guest shots on HIMYM. Whether he's aware of it ot not he accompishes an enormous amount politically by simply being himself and doing his work. He has broken the curse on being an out gay performer as rather than "losing his career" (as we've been told from the dawn of time was the fate of all out gays inn show business) HE'S BIGGER THAN EVER!!!

I want to see him on stage in a revival of "Anyone Can Whistle" ASAP!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 4, 2008 11:51:54 AM

12. Hey Josh (AKA toby.gold@yahoo.com):
    We all know you work at Out. I mean, it's pretty obvious at this point.

Here's a crazy idea: Maybe you and your colleagues could actually listen to the criticism instead of getting defensive every time Out is mentioned on this site?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 4, 2008 12:20:01 PM

13. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet: When the heck did he get to be so frigging hot!

Posted by: sam | Aug 4, 2008 12:25:20 PM

14. He and Dan Savage are the best gay PR out there right not. It's not even close. Alas, we don't really get to choose our PR effectiveness, but how many teens can show this article to their parents and say "That could be me too"? Hopefully quite a few.

Posted by: anon | Aug 4, 2008 12:29:54 PM

15. as a kid, i would take interviews with Stephen Sondheim and tell my parents "that could me too!"

but I'm just weird that way. :)

Posted by: Alex | Aug 4, 2008 12:42:38 PM

16. As a young boy I always wanted to be Sandra Bernhard. But hey -- I agree that this may not be "the Golden Interview That Changes Everybody's Minds (TM)", but then how can one man be everything to everyone? I love me some NPH -- and for the sole reason of being a handsome leading man, playing a ladies' man, while being out, he is revolutionary. Do I agree with every word out of his cupid's bow lips? No. But I still <3 NPH.

Posted by: Strepsi | Aug 4, 2008 12:53:23 PM

17. Thanks for the translation, JOHN in BIG APPLE. Normalcy...hunh? I hope he's not a McCain person.

Oh, and thanks, Mr Bedwell for mentioning "Doogie Houser". I had no idea what? who? why? I didn't watch much television in the eighties. I was in the park.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 4, 2008 1:03:54 PM

18. And as a young boy I always wanted to be Dolores Gray.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 4, 2008 1:10:41 PM

19. How about a giant blow up of the second picture in this column. NPH in leather!! I never thought I~d live to see it. And it's yummy. I can now go die in peace.
    On the other hand I think that he is a very positive role model for all gay people to aspire to; be yourself and F**K what the world thinks. I have alweays lived my life with that inmind and no one cares anymore

Posted by: mdtopdqd`` | Aug 4, 2008 1:11:09 PM

20. in West Philadelphia, born and raised - on the playground is where you spent most of your days!

Posted by: Dan B | Aug 4, 2008 1:11:44 PM

21. Hey Neil I find you dreamy...........
    but unfortunately I'm old enough to be your dad. Sigh.

Posted by: Bob West | Aug 4, 2008 1:13:51 PM

22. I don't like all this emphasis on "normalcy". There is nothing virtuous about being normal. 'Normal' simply indicates a level of occurance, not whether something is good or bad.

Homosexuality itself, for example, is completely natural (as it occurs throughout nature) but is not normal (as it occurs in a minority of the population). There is no reason for "abnormal" to immediately have a negative connotation, as psycho serial killers are just as abnormal as self-sacrificing heroes.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 4, 2008 1:14:20 PM

23. Actually, Mr. Bedwell, I took NPH's cooing over Cooper as camp.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 4, 2008 1:14:39 PM

24. Neil, Anderson, "and the rest"....come join The National Gay Tax Protest!

The LGBT community will NOT wait for the country to decide upon our rights.

THREE WORDS - GAY TAX PROTEST

Not ONE PENNY until FULL EQUALITY.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Aug 4, 2008 1:17:30 PM

25. "I actually advocate monogamous relationships myself (although I think whatever works for other people is all good as long as they're happy), but I would never stress the reason I do is because its 'normal.' It just irks me when something is given some sort of credit just for being the 'norm'. It certainly wasn't 'normal' people that fought for gay rights, and thank god for that. By definition, all the 'normal' people were out there discriminating against homosexuals on a daily basis."

Well said, Wes!