California | Fran Drescher | Gay Marriage | News

Fran Drescher Fights Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment in California

Fran

Ex-Nanny Fran Drescher is throwing a benefit to fight Proposition 8 (the ballot measure that would define marriage as between a man and a woman in California) with her ex-husband Peter Jacobson tonight for $100 a head. It's sold out.

Drescher told E!'s Marc Malkin: "I don't know if you realize this, but I'm a gay icon. But even if I weren't, I'm a political activist who believes in preserving the American dream which is tolerance of diversity and the separation of church and state…It's simply un-American not to be tolerant of different lifestyles. If you wanna live in a single-minded, religious-based country you're in the wrong place. It's not about being gay or straight…If two people are in love and they want to be married, they should have the right to do this."

Fran Drescher's Fight to Save Gay Marriage [marc malkin]

Comments

1. Fran's doing great work, but "gay icon"? I don't know. I always think that if you have to state that you're an icon, you're probably not. It's kind of like Bush running around explicitly stating that he's still relevant.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 3, 2008 8:45:57 AM

2. Pretty sure she was kidding.

Posted by: Sein | Sep 3, 2008 8:57:28 AM

3. Oh good. I was starting to think that there was a gay icon out there that I had totally overlooked.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 3, 2008 9:20:46 AM

4. Great work, Fran, but get with the program and drop the offensive "lifestyles" term often used by anti-gay extremists to denigrate lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives. As there is no one heterosexual or straight lifestyle, there is no one lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender lifestyle.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Sep 3, 2008 9:25:00 AM

5. Kudos Fran. You rock.

Where the f*ck is the rest of Hollywood?

Posted by: Joe | Sep 3, 2008 10:53:03 AM

6. Well, she's a Queens icon (ahem).

Posted by: anon | Sep 3, 2008 1:25:13 PM

7. about time someone does something...the queens on here complain but do shit about fighting back...they point fingers and whine...BUT DO NOTHING!

right on Fran!! THANK YOU for your support :)
    I will be doing my work this friday evening also ...

I'm still waiting on The Nanny box set.

Posted by: Bosie | Sep 3, 2008 1:34:02 PM

8. Me too BOSIE. I simply adored Fran in The Nanny.. and the butler Niles, what a hoot!

She's sharp as a tack and never afraid to speak her mind. Glad to see her continuing activist work for our community.

Posted by: sparks | Sep 3, 2008 5:38:59 PM

9. John, I generally agree with you about the misuse of the term ``lifestyle.`` But prop. 8 is really an attack on same sex couples whose lifestyle, if we could call it that, is that they are supportive and devoted to each other for life. The proponents of the anti gay initiative want gays to stay ``in their place`` on the fringes, where they can more easily look down on us.
    What really terrifies them is that it will be harder for them to continue to demonize us if gays with a healthy, ``clean and wholesome`` lifestyle are allowed to fluorish and be visible.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 4, 2008 1:44:40 AM