Comments

1. shane says

‘hypocrisy’ is too generous a label for this situation. the simple truth: sarah palin is a liar. this is all that needs revealing, and i wish someone could do it. she did not know (quite justifiably) that her daughter was pregnant at the time she was being vetted by the mccain campaign. mccain did not know. they found out a few days too late, after her entire life/family story was printed in the presses last week. they opted not for the truth — “hey we just found out, after church this sunday” — but for a defense and offense that is playing out now. they are lying, and that is the only issue.

2. Mike says

Agreed… “Hypocrisy” is too generous – the cynicism of all this is beyond the pale. The democrats aren’t perfect by any means, but the endless, mind numbing stream of cynical bullshit from the republicans and their media apparatus is unprecedented. How anyone can have the unmitigated gall to just lie and intentionally deceive just amazes me. It is simply immoral what they are doing… they obviously have no shame. I just hope this election cycle people finally wake up and vote them out into oblivion. If there is a God, I hope he has carved out a special place in hell for these people. They are despicable.

3. Mike says

4. johnny says

It’s laughable and nearly inconceivable that there is a group of gay republicans. In the last 20 years, the republican party has gone so far to the right (the fundamentalist, wacko right) that I simply don’t understand how any intelligent, well-read gay person could align themselves with with a group that would love to either see gays and lesbians disappear as a culture, stay quiet and in the closet or write laws to keep us as far away from equal rights as possible.

It’s unreal and sad.

5. Steve says

He practially addressed the LCR as “you people”.

I can’t help looking at Palin and thingking, “Wouldn’t she make a good anchor for Headline News?” She just looks the part.

6. Disgusted American says

I hear TINA FEY in Hosting SNL this Saturday ….NEW SEASON – FINALLY! She should probably doing a GREAT Parody of Palin! WATCH IT! Sat.11:30p

7. patrick nyc says

‘ I will just tell you that in the last 48 hours the smearing and the defamation of this family is unlike anything I have ever seen.’
    —————-
    Really Rove Jr? Did you not see what you scum bags did to Kerry four years ago? To Max Cleveland? The Willie Horton Ad?

The GOP has no shame, I only hope that when they lose this fall that the party implodes and the real republican thinking people take over and throw the right wing assholes out.

8. mick says

Schmidt, darling, it was Sarah who volunteered the information about her daughter being pregnant. Of course the press is going to point to the hypocrisy of Republican Party moral positioning. It’s the hypocrisy, stupid.

9. says

“the defamation of this family is unlike anything I have ever seen”

Gag me with a pitchfork, Schmidt. A Republican has the nerve to say THIS in front of gay people when they defame our families every day? (Oh, I forgot, the gay people he was talking to will take any crumbs.) The difference is their defamation of our families has very real consequences whereas the supposed defamation of Sarah’s family amounts to a few blogosphere names.

In Republican terms, abstinence before marriage is crucial unless it’s their heterosexual family, in which case getting knocked up is beautiful. Gay couples and families deserve no legal rights or recognition no matter how long we’re together because we’re not good enough, but 2 horny teenagers who manage to unite sperm and egg some drunken evening uphold those beautiful traditional family values and deserve full Republican glorification.

Think about the rights your sister doesn’t have and take a hike, hypocrite.

10. MAJeff says

“Think about the rights your sister doesn’t have and take a hike, hypocrite.”

Not only should her family receive nothing, but if she’s raped she’d be obliged to remain pregnant. Great love for his sister there.

11. says

I try to see all points of view. I really do. Now that I’ve been to the Dem convention and fully gotten involved in politics working to elect Obama I’ve stepped up my efforts to understand where the other side is coming from (know thine enemy).

On my blog I point out both Democratic and republican foibles.

At my most understanding, I cannot get where the LCR are coming from.

It’s like those neo-nazi skinhead Jews. Or Black gays who want to be in a “master/slave” relationship where their “daddy” calls them the “N” word. You can spin it all day (“It’s freeing to be actually in charge as a slave to a white man. I’m the one who made the decision to be here”. “I’m an economic republican”), but, no matter how it’s spun, at the end of the day there’s got to be a huge amount of denial and self hate.

There are country clubs that look real pretty. Just, let’s say, 5 yrs ago they didn’t allow Blacks. Because of threats of legal action, they have to let Blacks in now. I don’t want to be a member. Why? Because they don’t want me there and furthermore they would’ve never opened their doors to me if legal action hadn’t been threatened.

Why do LRC members want to be republicans? I honestly would like to hear why. Please explain this to me.

12. John says

“the day” Schmidt is referring to will come at least one hundred years sooner if people vote Democratic. Think of the giant step backwards if McCain is appointing the judiciary. I don’t know about you, but I’m for going for equal rights in my own lifetime. Maybe, the LCR guys will get their rewards in heaven.

13. Rick Fisher says

I have voted Democrat my whole life and I disagree with everything the republican party stands for.

However, the work that LCR does is critically important to advancing our civil rights agenda. They are fighting for a voice within a party that does not currently respect our values. We should respect their work and thank them for their efforts instead of slamming them.

As Democrat I believes in the values of working together to achieve our objectives that Obama has been so successfully promoting. I would like to thank LCR for the work they do even though I disagree with everything they stand for.

14. JT says

Chester posted:

*”I love my lesbian sister and I’m happy to support policies to keep her a second class citizen.”*

PERFECT!

I am what I am, and what I am needs no excuses

15. says

I’ve got a straight brother with whom I’ve not communicated in years … I’ve got straight friends I had to stop accommodating … all because they’re Republicans. People have to know that if they’re going to sh*t on you with their vote you’re going to kiss their a** good-bye

16. Dave says

The only line that entire speech that actually applied to LGBT people was the one passing sentence about his sister. Everything else was pure boilerplate and could have been equally applied to the Cato Institute, American Enterprise Institute, Discovery Institute, boy scouts, GM, or anything or anyone else.