Advertising | Gay Seniors | New York | News

New Ad Campaign Focuses on LGBT Seniors

Sage

Adrants reports on the new campaign: "Under the slogan 'Because there is no expiration date on a full, active life,' Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) ferreted them out for an ad campaign. Warm, approachable images of them -- as actors! families! Dianic priestesses! magicians! -- will be used on subway metro cards, in print ads, in phone kiosks, and on bus shelters."

A PDF with more of the ads can be found here.

Visit SAGE here.

Comments

1. Where is the naked boytit? This ad does nothing for me.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 17, 2008 12:36:02 PM

2. In college I was in a group called SAGE, but it stood for Straights and Gays for Equality. After my name got printed in the paper announcing the group's formation I started getting threatening calls at my house. What a fond memory.

Not to sound critical, but GLBT is an unusual formulation, and using one acronym inside another is cheating. But I can be a bit picky about things like that.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 17, 2008 12:42:19 PM

3. you know something, i was just talking about this whole thing with an old friend of mine... seems like there are no more bars where us old bags can hang out and have a few drinks and talk to the drifters and hustlers and shoot the breeze, maybe give a handjob or blowjob in the toilets... you know an old fags social club like they used to have at the pub in west hollywood before the russians moved in and started closing down the hustler bars on santa monica east of fairfax... there was another hustler bar there that i can't remember the name... gone with the wind i guess... there's nowhere to go now these days except maybe starbucks and that's a friggin bore... where are the hot boys to be found these days... eye candy, baby... that's what i want and that's what i need... you don't see them on the streets anymore with their shirts off like it used to be on santa monica. now i'm told they're on craigs list hustling their wares... oh well.. back to qvc and the home shopping network...

Posted by: the queen | Sep 17, 2008 12:53:01 PM

4. So anyone else picturing John threatening Floyd with the hammer if he misbehaves again? No? Just me? Okay.

Posted by: tjc | Sep 17, 2008 1:06:02 PM

5. PAUL R, I agree that the GLBT usage is weird, especially since their website consistently uses LGBT throughout the site. But I think they shoehorned a new name on the existing acronym for the original organization, which I believe was the now painfully outdated "Seniors in A Gay Environment."

Posted by: wisebear | Sep 17, 2008 1:13:36 PM

6. Paul R-- Lots of organization that only used the word "gay" in their name kept the single G but added "LBT" in their full names.
    Like PFLAG (and an extra F) -- otherwise they'd be PFFLALG (they may or may not care about bi's and trans-folks).

It's simpler and cleaner, and allows for inclusiveness without the mess of huge unpronounceable short names.

Yes, nested acronyms can be annoying, but I don't fault the (Boston) AIDS Action Committee's use of AAC, or SAGE, or PFLAG, or others using AIDS or GLBT / LGBT.

Posted by: tjc | Sep 17, 2008 1:14:22 PM

7. I was being a tad facetious. I don't have any problem with the name.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 17, 2008 2:01:09 PM

8. TJC...I was actually focusing on the artwork, specifically the image of the black guy in robes wearing a crown. I half expect him to come to life and demand the execution of the two men who have invaded his house.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 17, 2008 2:09:12 PM

9. SAGE originally stood for Senior Action in a Gay Environment.

Posted by: bading | Sep 17, 2008 2:34:17 PM