California | Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ellen DeGeneres Spends $100,000 to Broadcast 'No on Prop 8' PSA

Ellen DeGeneres has made an initial media buy of $100,000 to air a PSA she recorded earlier this week urging voters to vote 'No' on Proposition 8, the ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in the state, according to a press release from the 'No on 8' campaign. Said campaign director Patrick Guerriero: "In her desire to speak directly to the people of California, Ellen has stepped up as only Ellen can."

EllenSays Ellen in the PSA: "Hi, I’m Ellen DeGeneres. I got to do something this year I never thought I’d ever be able to do: I got married. It was the happiest day of my life. There are people out there raising millions of dollars to try and take that right away from me. You’ve seen their ads on TV. They’re twisting the truth, and they’re trying to scare you. I believe in fairness. I believe in compassion. I believe in equality for all people. Proposition 8 does not. Please, please, vote no on Prop. 8."

Now that's money well spent.

I posted it earlier, but you can watch it again, AFTER THE JUMP...

Express your opposition to Prop 8 by donating HERE.

Comments

1. Bless her! She has done so much for our community - and now, in her unique way has done it again! On the greater subject of the Prop 8 supporters... what is it with Marketwatch.com? They are constantly regurgitating ProtectMarriage.com's spew of lying press releases as if they are news stories.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2008 2:38:44 PM

2. Having been among her harshest critics here, I'm happy to be among the first to applaud her for this. If the TV time she bought is equal to that of the Yes on 8 fascists, she could singlehandedly turn the tide back in equality's favor.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 17, 2008 2:38:59 PM

3. Care to comment Daniel? Evil isn't she? This closeted star who has done nothing for the LGBT community.

Posted by: Gregus | Oct 17, 2008 2:40:43 PM

4. Until she kills all those puppies, it's not enough.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 17, 2008 2:41:39 PM

5. Good for Ellen... This is a smarter move than just giving the money to "No on 8." This way she can control how it is spent and get her message out the way she wants to do it.

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 17, 2008 2:45:22 PM

6. I think this ad is so much more effective than the ads the No on 8 campaign is running. I gave 'em money and I hope to be proven wrong, but so far I've been very disappointed by how ineptly the campaign has been run. Perhaps Ellen is, too. Just speculating, but maybe she didn't want them to waste her money and decided to doing something more powerfully good with it. I think her very personalized voice of compassion is very effective. Good for her.

Posted by: RS | Oct 17, 2008 3:00:52 PM

7. Just read that Barbra is getting active for us also. We need the divas we adore to get going NOW!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 17, 2008 3:05:56 PM

8. She is awesome.

Mess with Ellen, mess with me.

Posted by: Dan B | Oct 17, 2008 3:07:21 PM

9. Thank you Ellen!!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Oct 17, 2008 3:17:04 PM

10. Oh look, Ellen isn't doing anything again for YOU is she?

(in a sarcastic tone) for the idiots.

Posted by: Marc | Oct 17, 2008 3:17:22 PM

11. With 18 days left before election day (and huge numbers of Californians voting NOW by absentee ballot), we need to pull together as a community, not bicker or blame others, to defeat Prop. 8.

There are small but POWERFUL THINGS WE CAN DO TO DEFEAT 8, compiled by a friend of mine: *Give $5, $10 or $100 or more. (The Obama campaign has taught us that SMALL DONATIONS AND ACTIONS do matter, adding up to be a tremendous force for change.) *Invite your friends over for dinner instead of going out, and send that money to no on 8. *When attending a gay wedding, don’t give a give material gift. Instead, make a donation to No on 8 in the name of the couple. Honor and protect their love! *Stop whining about us being behind in the polls and DO SOMETHING!

Show your courage. BE THE CHANGE WE NEED IN THIS COUNTRY.

I think it is great that Ellen gave her time and money to the cause, but we shouldn’t just rely on her...we NEED to do this for OURSELVES and SHAPE our own destinies.

Posted by: joeinsf | Oct 17, 2008 3:18:12 PM

12. THANK YOU, ELLEN!
    That's a fantastic START!

Thank you for matching what Brad Pitt and Steven Spielberg each gave. But more is still needed to counter the other side's deceitful ads!!!!

Here's why: a new tracking poll found that undecided voters who see both NO and YES TV ads are more likely to vote NO. Those who see just YES ads (and that's most people -- as they have more money than we do to put theirs on the air) are much more likely to vote YES.

PLEEEEEASE HELP KEEP US UP ON TV!!!

Imagine what a $2 million media buy for Ellen's ad would do? (I personally imagine it could put us over the top.) Let's hope she spends as much as she can to keep it on the air! (Oh, and would it be too much to ask for some radio ads, too?)

Thanks again, Ellen!

But what about are the other mega-rich celebs who remain invisible in this campaign?

If that's what it's gonna take, and you really just wanted to blaze your own trail, do it NOW! There are only 18 days until Election Day.

Shoot your own PSA and pay for it to go up on the air! Or write Ellen a check to get her PSA on TV more.

Just do it NOW!

Posted by: SHOWMETHEMONEY | Oct 17, 2008 3:30:24 PM

13. Not only will people see the ad, but Ellen's media buy will get attention in and of itself.

We all owe a lot to her. We really do. She's "Ellen" any more, one of the most popular women in America, beloved by all the fans of her show. She reaches so many Americans in ways no one else can.

Posted by: K | Oct 17, 2008 3:38:14 PM

14. Good on Ellen. I criticized her as well. I am glad she's stepping up.

By the way, what would be really useful at this juncture is some polling agency other than Survey USA's polling- they have another one today at 48 for, 45 against using their likely voter model. It's unclear where things are right now. Are we making head way or not? I am leery about using likely voter models just because part of our ability to win this is a) younger voters who aren't going to be picked up in a likely voter model (these models weight heavily toward people having voted in prior elections) and b) it also doesn't take into account sporadic, but not consistent voters.

I do note that the data says that AAs, much maligned here and elsewhere, only support the measure by 10 percent more than the white voter. I believe that if there were some concerted efforts this number 58 for blacks, 48 for whites, could be brought to parity. Instead, we've got this attitude of "no we can't." One proviso- we don't know a) the number of AAs polled or b) whether there is any effect where AAs feel they can't admit to being against the amendment.

We need something like Nate Silver's model or more liberal model of the likely voters this term. Using 2004, even with regard to race without a breakdown of age of voters (which will be higher more than likely for younger voters this cycle) seems to be a mistake. Yet, these likely voter models depend on it.

My gut instinct is that this is tied or close, but the Yes people will probably actually lose this given the demographic shifts. To get to a bare yes win depends on modeling that may and probably will not fit this election.

Posted by: akaison | Oct 17, 2008 3:45:17 PM

15. CRISPY you always make me laugh.

I'm by no way an Ellen fan but maybe the tired old queens will get off her ass.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 17, 2008 3:47:54 PM

16. Yay fro Ellen!!! Thank you, dear, I knew you'd come through.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 17, 2008 3:48:33 PM

17. see out LGBT people can and do make a difference when they have the courage to lead...it may hurt ratings but it certainlyb helps humanity.

Posted by: Chip Arndt | Oct 17, 2008 3:52:07 PM

18. Thank you Ellen mwahhhh From your gay brother. Only people like you who have the privilage to be on TV, I pray it is not taken for granted. Use this time to help Equality, I know I would if I had the means and oppertunity to do so. All I can do is blaa blaa blaa on these comments. Sometimes the only way to get through to the narrow minded people for our committment rights to love and share all civillian rights of a partnership, is to fight for the real deal. All or nothing, and nothing don't count, for we will never give up. I will one day marry my Filipino boyfriend and be extremely happy for that God blessed day. To commit to him and it be recognized by the US government is my ultimate goal.

Posted by: duane Harrison | Oct 17, 2008 4:16:48 PM

19. Pose to straight people... What if ANYONE could vote on the legitimacy of YOUR marriage? I bet they wouldn't like it one bit.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 17, 2008 4:33:33 PM

20. Here's why we must not leave the proverbial stone unturned, nor checks unwritten:

In addition to the fact that voters generally tend to vote against something more readily than for something, our deadly Achilles heel has ALWAYS been that religio fascists are more motivated than gays generally are. Even in political contests when there hasn't been the documented [e.g., only 30-some thousand donors against 8 versus over 60,000 for it] and illogical apathy in our community.

99% of our enemies come prepackaged, mostly as church congregations who already are accustomed to meeting at least weekly, month after month, year after year. We don't already own buses to carry people to rallys and the polls. We don't have the kind of regular TV and radio programs, monthly print organs that they do. Focus on the [Fascist] Family has TEN different publications. Yes On 8 creeps didn't have to suddenly rent space for operational centers in various cities as No On 8 did. They didn't have to come up with lists of names, addresses, telephone numbers as No has, or stand on corners begging people to sign up as volunteers.

This toxic difference goes back decades—whenever our rights have been subjected to a vote by the general public. [If job, accommodation, and voter rights for blacks had been voted on by popular referendum, they would have failed.] An anti marriage equality initiative has only been beaten ONCE. Our equality has never been assumed, but has only come, issue by issue, by either legislative body or court decision, and our "leaders" have become too dependent upon that while ignoring the kind of ongoing grass roots outreach to the electorate that could have offset some of the constant stream of poison that right wing churches and groups have never stopped generating.

In short, we're trying to make up for decades of neglect in a few months. It's not fair but it is reality and everyone is called upon to do ALL he/she can.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 17, 2008 4:35:10 PM

21. Thank you Ellen.

Posted by: Bruce | Oct 17, 2008 4:36:14 PM

22. Christ, do it with proper grammar. It's "try to"--not "try and."

Heartbreaking.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 17, 2008 4:58:46 PM

23. I don't think it's helpful to hear the chronic whining from the chronic bitches...take a holiday, girls.

Ellen did a great thing; bless her heart. People do what they're capable of doing and the best way to inspire them further is by example. Ellen's a glorious example of someone who's found her purpose and her life - and consequently is standing up and sharing it for all to see. Jam on it, Ellen!

Posted by: bryanD | Oct 17, 2008 7:10:24 PM

24. to the me me me me(n) of towle road who kept bitching at ellen:
    while you were asking, pleading and badgering for a contribution, she was working toward a more powerful, personal statement.

Posted by: my2cents | Oct 17, 2008 7:19:55 PM

25. a) As I said above- good for Ellen. I want to reemphasize that.

b) To Those who are now saying this was her plan along: You are trying to prove too much with nothing but her finally submitting to pressure, which is the other interpretation of her actions. I don't know which is right. I don't really care.

I do however know I am not going to waste my time with your spin.

I am glad she's doing what she's doing. But please don't think that means I or any other poster here is stupid enough not to realize the context - which can be of a positive or negative spin.

Sometimes it is better just to shut than to try to keep pushing other people's buttons as you are doing here.

Posted by: akaison | Oct 17, 2008 8:30:24 PM